Why become a member? ×

How much better is your current bass than your last one?

JPAC

If you've had more than one bass guitar, what made you change to your current one? If you're happy with your current one, what model is it and will you keep it? What would be your main reason to change, if any?

Noob curiousity. :)

I've gravitated towards thicker necks as time's gone on, so out went a Squier Jazz, an Epiphone EB-3. Had a acrylic bodied bass but it weighed a tonne so that was out. Had a brief dalliance with short scale basses until I realised that I was capable of playing long scale, so bye bye went a Squier Bronco and an Epiphone EB-0.

Currently I have a P bass (everyone needs a P bass) and my main gigging bass is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I got that because I thought it looked beautiful. What a pleasant surprise it turned out to have a lovely wide neck. Once I gave it the full EMG treatment (HB pickups + BQC 3-band EQ) it became the beast it should have always been. I have ideas about installing a pickup selector switch in the usual LP position for completeness (it's just separate volume for each at the moment), low battery indicator and other such creature comforts.

I have my custom builds, but they're a different matter altogether.

I moved a Warwick Thumb 5 string off to the US last year, and was sort of thinking about giving up bass in favour of the NS Stick, but then played a mate's Jazz and thought "I'd like one of those to noodle around on".

Bought a VMJ fretless off a basschatter, modified it a bit, then picked up a Geddy Lee.

The answer is that neither is remotely like the Thumb in character, but the Geddy Lee is one of the best basses I've ever played, and the VMJ is a cracking bass for the money.

I'm not sure I'd go back to the Warwick now if I had the choice.

Edited by WinterMute

I've played Steinberger XL's for the last six years: solid, portable, stable, in-tune and a sound that cuts through. But since I've ended my 23-year carreer playing professionally Top40 cover music and have been getting back to the Jazz stuff I've been looking for a bass with piezos (and a little bit more Tone) - luckily our fellow BC'r Nobody's Prefect sold me his Turner fretless which I really love. Better? I'd say Different.

I have two - a 4 Stringray and a 4 Jazz and I seem to play one for 6 months solid, then switch to the other and then, 6 months later switch back. Been doing that for 2 years and not really lusted after another bass.

The Jazz is currently strung BEAD and has been for 3 months. Its my standard tuning these days.

Can you go wrong with a Ray and Jazz? Not yet.

I don't really have a main bass anymore, just a bunch of jazzes, but what I have done is narrowed things down from wicks, rays, statii and god knows what else to discover I'm most at home on four string, passive jazzes with maple necks.

I have a number of different basses, but in the last few months I started suffering of some swap-frenzy disease. Thus, I swapped a rare graphite-necked Peavey GV bass for a fretless european spector. it was a hell of an axe, but I quickly got mad at that bass since I couldn't really get the tone i wanted out of it.
I eventually sold it to buy a Status S-1, which is now serving as my main live and studio bass. however, I wouldn't define my current bass a better one. It's all about understanding what you want in an instrument. The spector I had would have been perfect for some playing style - and it actually is, since the guy I sold it to is more than happy with this bass. but it just could not deliver the sound i had in mind when i recklessy bought it.

I've got a custom bass, and another custom build on the way.

But I've still got GAS for a Dean Zone, and Metalman Z. And a Squire VMJ and classic series P.

At the end of the day I'm a bassist, and I like looking at basses. That hasn't changed over the last 21 years so I don't think it's gonna change anytime soon :)

I've fallen totally for the Spector NS5CR forum ho-bass since I did a fret dressing on it. It's got the sound I've been looking for with virtually no tweaks needed. I'm going to replace the EMG DC40's with passive SD Basslines so the treble doesn't sound so clinical but for an all maple bass its got an incredible amount of warmth, more so than the Euro 6 I have on consignment at the Gallery. I like Spector necks too, narrow across the nut but chunky enough to reduce the risk of my hand cramping up like it did with the slim necked Modulus basses I used to own.

With the rack based rig and neo cabs, the upper mids cut through wonderfully and I'm pretty close to the sound I hear through headphones. I especially like hearing the 'thup' of my fingers releasing the strings in combination with lots of sub 40hz warmth and a stingray kind of robust solidity in the lower mids. Plus if I dig in gently, there's a nice amount of growly bark available and I can still get the neck pickup to sound round and mellow by playing softly if I need it too. I've tried a number of Spectors though and I know for a fact that not all of them sound like this one.

I'll take the Shuker Headless 6 out if I need the extended range or a jazzier sound (it has some really sweet highs now the neck pickup has been sorted) but can't see myself changing from the Spector as a workhorse unless I find something that sounds identical with a larger body. It's more articulate and dynamic than my Smith BSR5GN was and about a third of the price!

GAS made me change!
I went from modern, to moderner (lol) and now I GAS for more vintage models after finally finding out that, after years of shunning them, Fender designs work for me!...If only they had more options fret and price wise.
Then I find ANYTHING Leo created works for me...Now THAT is some expensive GAS!

But how much better is my current bass?
Like all I seem to buy, they ain't, I'm just test driving for a LONG time till I find it.
I could settle for an American Jazz deluxe...22 frets...maple board...4-over-1 tuner config...Pearloid plate...active electronics I'll never use...Mmmmm...

I got a Status 5 string headless a few years ago. I really liked it, but I just didn't feel like it was 'the one'. I started an earnest search for 'the one' last summer, and I finally got it about 6 weeks ago - A fender jazz custom shop Reggie Hamilton. Amazing bass, I love everything about it. It's just like being married when you know that you'll never look at another wo..................... hold on, that's a bad analogy - lets just say that I don't think I'll ever want another bass in my entire life.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='499513' date='May 28 2009, 12:21 AM']I sold an 87 warwick thumb 5 thru to buy an Alembic MK5 deluxe. Best move I ever made. I am a much better player because I now sound like I want to... result: I never put the Alembic down :)[/quote]

I felt a strong sense of shock after reading the first 8 words of that sentence but then with the next 6 it all made sense.

My last bass was a Lakland 55-02. The Warwick Corvette I swapped it for is equal in terms of quality, maybe slighty better in some aspects but it was tone the difference I was after. I'm loving the more aggressive sound I get even if the neck is a bit of hard work !

Guys,

it has to be said my Sadowsky Metro UV70 is better than any other Sadowsky i've played (NYC or Metro) and actually better than any other Jazz bass i've owned, including a hat full of custome shops. It's very light, plays & sets up like a dream and sounds absolutely HUGE !!

Stopped by GAS faster than a dose of peptobismol !!!

I've had a ton of instruments over the years but the one that has seen the longest continuous service is my current blue Spector Euro LX4 with ACG pre-amp. It's been my go-to bass for six months now, every gig, every rehearsal - this may not sound long to many and it isn't but I have barely touched anything else in this time including the ones hanging on the wall. Why? It sounds so good in the mix with the band and with a tweak of the preamp sounds great at home on its own. It's light, comfortable, has a fantastic neck and an irresistible zingyness. I was so impressed I bought a Euro LX5, which as well as the obvious extras is a tad more commanding and luxurious in it's tone - must be the extra wood and extended scale - but still essentially the same.

I still have my last one, and the one before that, and so on. I currently own 11 basses and I wouldn't say any of them really excells above the rest. In versatility and playability I would say my Ellio Martina Forza 5 is a favourite, but sometimes I just need a different tone I cannot obtain from the Martina and I'll grab one of my Ibanez ATK's for their punch and bright edge, or my Rickenbacker 4003, or my Italia Torino hollowbody... They're just different, not so much better or worse.

Basses I sold in the past weren't necessarily less good than the ones I kept, they (or their sound) just didn't suit me anymore. There's one I regret selling though: my Yamaha TRB5II. That was a great bass, very versatile. It lacked character and a personality of its own, but playability was excellent, it had an incredibly tight low B and I could really use it for almost anything.

[quote name='JPAC' post='498219' date='May 26 2009, 06:49 PM']what made you change to your current one?[/quote]
I've always wanted to own a Warwick. The Thumb bass shape has always caught my attention and there always seemed to be a Warwick/Thumb behind my favourite bass recordings. The bass compliments me perfectly and naturally has the sound i'm after without having to do any tweaking. The feel of quality and sturdiness is also great.
[quote name='JPAC' post='498219' date='May 26 2009, 06:49 PM']If you're happy with your current one, what model is it and will you keep it?[/quote]
Warwick Thumb bolt-on 4 string. I'm more than happy with it and will take it to my grave.
[quote name='JPAC' post='498219' date='May 26 2009, 06:49 PM']What would be your main reason to change, if any?[/quote]
GAS! I think there's a huge variety of options available to bass players and we're always thinking "what if..." e.g. what if it had 5/6/7 strings, what if the pickups were different, what if it had a 35" scale, what if it had fanned frets, what if it had lightwave pickups etc etc.

I've currently got a custom Shuker being built to quash come of those GAS pangs and provide me with a truely unique bass. It certainly won't replace my Warwick as it will be a very different beast.

I wanted to move to five strings, I had literally worn my 4 string out (it needs a refret at the very least) over 15 years of use.

The Roscoe is incredibly light, easy to play (unbelievable neck and action) and most important has the best tone I've ever heard (for me), bridge pup is fat and the neck pup grinds. I dont believe in eq to get a tone - I know I'm weird maybe - I believe in getting a bass with tone thats there already, and using your hands and pickup blend to get different timbres, it works for me!