Why become a member? ×

Claims to fame

charic

Supported the Cutting Crew at Newcastle Riverside yonks ago - drank their Stella backstage. Also supported Robert Plant a few years ago when he did a Priory of Briony thing at Whitley Bay. However, I take my hat off to the guy who supported Whigfield. That's going to take some beating.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='52233' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:38 AM']I've played bass with Gerrard Kenny (wrote the Minder theme tune) on piano[/quote]

Nah, he's pulling your leg.
Haven't you ever seen Little Britain :)

Pete.

Played with Sikth, Enter Shikari a loada times, Devil Sold His Soul, toured with Exit Ten all with FSOF, again, not top flight stuff, but i've barely started :huh: Played with the Bluetones with my old band Tin Soldier.
I'm playing on the TV program 'Jimmys Farm' in October, i'll be sure to let you know when it airs lol. Its something to do with Jamie Oliver apparently.

A good bass player friend of mine plays for Steve Harley and has just come back off their European tour where they supported the Rolling Stones on two of the gigs. He said Daryl and the guys are really nice! :)

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='jwbassman' post='52233' date='Aug 29 2007, 11:38 AM']I've played bass with Gerrard Kenny (wrote the Minder theme tune) on piano[/quote]

He also wrote "New York, New York, (so good they named it twice)"

Saw him entertain at a dinner in London run by "D.E.A.F. - The Distiguished Engineers Audio Federation". It was a social organisation for the recording industry which raised money for deaf children. All I remember is that it was bl**dy loud. Nuff said.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='52415' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:40 PM']Played in a band with Beverley Knight at university[/quote]
I saw her supporting the Prince gig a couple of weeks ago - she's an awesome performer. Talk about intense!! She was really going for broke at the Aftershow party. I'd like to go see her at the Albert Hall when she plays in London in November on her 2007 tour.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='52493' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:02 PM']I saw her supporting the Prince gig a couple of weeks ago - she's an awesome performer. Talk about intense!! She was really going for broke at the Aftershow party. I'd like to go see her at the Albert Hall when she plays in London in November on her 2007 tour.[/quote]

I knew her for years (she went out with one of my best mates) and she always talked about becoming a professional singer. We got together for a few performances and did a version of Sweet Love by Anita Baker. I've never heard anything like it and got so hooked on her voice that I nearly lost my place a few times! A really nice person too.

It's one of those friendships I wish I'd have kept going.

Coat-tailing? Moi?

[quote name='Hamster' post='52161' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:30 AM']We played at a wedding reception where Steve Hogarth was one of the guests, he stepped up to the mic to sing a couple of numbers. Bit of a shame we didn't know any Marillion songs!

Hamster[/quote]

First two Marillion albums with Steve H were great, then it all went yawnsville

Played at a wedding and Mike Lindup (Keyboards with Level 42) got up for a couple of songs.
I wish we'd been pre-warned as it's a few years since I played any Level 42 stuff, so we jammed a couple of Level 42 numbers.
Bottled out of the flashy slap stuff but did adjust my strap, thankfully he got the joke ;-)

Oh yeah, and played in a band with Edith Bowman (Radio 1 DJ) for a few years too ...

We played with Ray Lewis a few years ago - he was one of the singers from the 4 tops.

When I was 15 I got lessons from James Finnegan after he left Hue & Cry and before Stiltskin.

The bass player from Snow Patrol played my bass one night. About 1998 I was playing with one of my pub bands. after we finished I was off to a club with a girl and the guitarist asked if I would leave my bass so they could do a bit more so I did and the guy that played it was the dude from SP. Apparently he's left handed but I'm not. This was a few years before SP formed.

We were going to back Graham Bonnet when he was touring the UK a couple of years ago but the band went tits up so I missed my chance to play the old rainbow song "since you've been gone"

[quote name='woolleydick' post='52387' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:40 PM']....were supported by Tony Hatch's (wrote the themes for Crossroads, prisoner cell block h, neighbours) son Darren, and Lee Jenkinson son of Philip who used to present Film 76 with Barry Norman, whose daughters did a one off gig as backing vocalists with a band I was sound engineer for in Belgium[/quote]

Funniest claim to fame ever! Son of Tony Hatch was good, but the daughters of the son of the man who did a film programme with Barry Norman in 1976 - performing as backing singers - Priceless!

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='52629' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:09 AM']Funniest claim to fame ever! Son of Tony Hatch was good, but the daughters of the son of the man who did a film programme with Barry Norman in 1976 - performing as backing singers - Priceless![/quote]

Now let us be accurate here - this is after all very important :)

Lee Jenkinson was with Darren Hatch in a band.
Barry's daughters were the backing singers at a completely separate gig.

I did not want to mention being on tv with Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden) coz

a. It would look like name dropping
&
b. It was before he joined Maiden and I was in the audience in the pub
&
c. the programme was not about the band but about football hooligans

I have loads of other tenuous (to say the least) claims to fame but will save them for a rainy day.

Did I tell you about the time I almost met Colonel Ghadaffi?

Aww, none of mine are remotely close to being Whigfield beaters, that's incredible :)

The last couple of years I've played with: Sikth, Still Remains, Exit Ten, Enter Shikari, Bring Me The Horizon, Architects

However, my favourite fame claim... anyone ever been to a Green Day show? They do this little routine where they 'form a band' on stage, and pull people up out of the crowd to play. Well, at Old Trafford cricket ground in 2002, I was the lucky git that got pulled up to play Mike Dirnt's bass!!

I played a gig last year that was headlined by a then little known band from Glasgow, who would later go on to big things in the space of 12 months.

They had just released "Wasted Little DJ's"
It was The View.

And they are just as annoying off stage...

My band Orange Street have supported ska legends The Beat, Bad Manners, Neville Staple (the Specials) and The Selecter.
The Specials Lynval Golding sang Little Bitch on stage with us and the guitarist Roddy Radiation is joining us for a gig
in Coventry next month.

I played in a jazz funk band with Nik Kershaw before he hit the big time, played with Gordon Haskell and just finished 80's
pop diva Yazz's new album.

Gigged a venue in Switzerland when Prince William and Kate Middleton turned up.

I also can't top Whigfield :0)

www.myspace.com/woodsybass

www.myspace.com/orangestreet

www.myspace.com/yazzmusic

[quote name='BigRedX' post='53177' date='Aug 31 2007, 10:09 AM']Is that the band mentioned in Giles Smith's book "Lost In Music"?
There's a whole chapter on Nik Kershaw.[/quote]

I don't know the book but it was a band called Fusion. I shared bass duties with Dave Bronze who now plays with Eric Clapton