Why become a member? ×

Getting some flatwounds need some opinions

markdavid

Hi all,

Will be buying some flatwounds in the next couple of days , I have only tried a couple of brands of flats (Daddario Chromes , Rotosound Jazz Flats) I am looking for something a bit darker and more dead and old school sounding and considering the following , any recommendations out of these?

Ernie Ball Flatwounds
Elites Flatwounds
Fender Flatwounds
Roberts Flatwounds
Olympia Flatwounds
Picato Flatwounds

I thank you for any suggestions you may have

The only flats i've tried in anger were Roto's, they were pretty nice! Another one to think about!

Also i gotta put in a word for Newtone strings, as i do any chance i get :). They don't have flats listed on their site, but because everything is handmade/custom made, i'm sure they could make some for you.
Their roundwound sets (ANY guage/tension/scale length you want) can be had for around £20 delivered for a 4 string set.

[url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/"]http://www.newtonestrings.com/[/url]

Si

I use Thomastiks, they are very low tension and feel better than any string I've used. A lot of people prefer a higher tesnsion string so they're not for everyone. I used to use rotos a while ago which are high tension but I'll never user those again as I had three sets that sounded & felt very inconsistent from string to string.

For Old-school you may like the LaBella Deep Talkin' flats, like James Jamerson & Duck Dunn used in the 60s. My daughter has a short scale set on her 30" daisyrock heartbreaker bass - sound & feel great and come in a variety of lengths & gauges.

+1 for Thomastik Jazz Flats. They're may favourites although the low tension may require a truss rod adjustment.

I've tried Rotosound flat - horrible like fence wire rather than a bass string - and D'addarios which were better but IMO none of their strings for the bass are as good as their guitar strings.

[quote name='Platypus' post='52497' date='Aug 29 2007, 07:14 PM']Basschat's Gwilm passed a set of 'LaBella Deep Talkin' flats to me recently and I've been very impressed with the 'old school' tone. I've never used flats before so have nothing to compare them with....[/quote]

I use LaBella Deep Talkin'.. they are great - best there are IMO, but they aren't as dead and old-school as many.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NickThomas' post='57511' date='Sep 8 2007, 08:27 PM']TI jazz flats are lovely .. but I certainly wouldn't describe them as dark or dead sounding ..... In fact I've spent 25 trying to avoid strings that sound dark and dead lol[/quote]
Its a reflex action to the word flat. Before they can stop themselves they have posted TI Jazz without reading the rest of the post :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just put some Overwater flats on my Bongo..................sounds great, a bit more tension than the TI's I have on my G&L L2500, but still really nice to play. They only do them in medium gauge at the moment, but they feel good.

The higher tension makes them sound a wee bit more "modern" too, meaning for the disco/funk stuff I play I can boost the top end a wee bit and play octaves and 16ths to my hearts content and they punch nicely through the mix, but I still have a really smooth sounding bottom end.

They are also extremely comfortable to play, but don't feel just as luxurious as the TI's ( the higher tension again I think as they are just as smooth ) but they ARE almost half the price. I think Overwater charge around £25 for a 5 string set ( including delivery ).

Deffo worth a try for flat fans.

S

The only thing Picato have going for them is the price... about half the price of other flats... so good for sticking on the practice bass and for price conscious music students and that's about it...

I wouldn't buy another set... Given the life of flats, it's a bit of a false economy, but they probably sell mostly to parents who don't know anything about Picato except that they've been asked to get flats and they're half the price of the others... that's if you can even find any flats in the shops...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='61842' date='Sep 17 2007, 07:13 PM']The only thing Picato have going for them is the price... about half the price of other flats... so good for sticking on the practice bass and for price conscious music students and that's about it...

I wouldn't buy another set... Given the life of flats, it's a bit of a false economy, but they probably sell mostly to parents who don't know anything about Picato except that they've been asked to get flats and they're half the price of the others... that's if you can even find any flats in the shops...[/quote]

Ouch , doesn't sound good , one to avoid then

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='67530' date='Sep 30 2007, 12:10 AM']+1 for the La Bella Flats. I've been using them for ten years now, and I'd never change back.[/quote]
I'm desperately looking for La Bella 0760 Jamerson oldie flats for my '62 reissue P, but none of my local music shops have them.

Any ideas where to order them online, in Europe hopefully?

Cheers,
ervert

[quote name='ervert' post='67846' date='Sep 30 2007, 07:46 PM']I'm desperately looking for La Bella 0760 Jamerson oldie flats for my '62 reissue P, but none of my local music shops have them.

Any ideas where to order them online, in Europe hopefully?

Cheers,
ervert[/quote]

I went to US Ebay - £26 in total if I recall.

That was about a year ago now though.

[quote name='ervert' post='67846' date='Sep 30 2007, 08:46 PM']I'm desperately looking for La Bella 0760 Jamerson oldie flats for my '62 reissue P, but none of my local music shops have them.

Any ideas where to order them online, in Europe hopefully?[/quote]
I couldn't wait any longer. Went to juststrings.com and orderded a set of Jamersons for my P.

Ordered a set of TI's Jazz flats for my Geddy Jazz as well. I've got some heavy rotosound flats on it currently, but not sure if I really like them. They are amazing strings, but maybe a tad too heavy for my liking. They sound impressive though. Nasty growl!!

Really looking forward to try out the Jamerson's and TI's.

Hope it works out fine. Never ordered from juststrings before.

Cheers,
ervert