Why become a member? ×

Suggest some bass lines to learn...

Kurt

... for a noobie slapper! That is I've been playing for a few years and am currently in a gigging band, but never bothered to learn to slap'n'pop. Now I've started with the Ed Friedland DVD and I'm progressing, albeit slowly. The exercises tend to get boring after a while so I'm after suggestions for songs with simple lines to learn. TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Marcus Millers version of Frankenstein - its easier than it sounds

RHCP - Aeroplane or Tell me Baby

Level 42 - Love Games

and when you get a little more proficient, have a go at:

Level 42 - Hot Water (lots of slapped dead notes to carry the line along, will help build a bit of stamina)

Might I suggest a purchase of Stuart Clayton's "Ultimate Slap Bass" book? I started off learning Slap with the Ed Friedland DVD but then progressed on from that using Stu's book. It is a fantastic book, and no Im not on commision from him!

Level 42 - Hot Water (lots of slapped dead notes to carry the line along, will help build a bit of stamina)

And when you're comfortable with that, have a crack at Sandstorm from Level 42 - The Early Tapes - it's kind of where Hot Water started life I think. Loads of thumb and left hand tap/deadening.

Also Are You Hearing What I hear from Pursuit of Accidents - guaranteed wrist ache - as is the live version of Eyes Waterfalling.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='58715' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:00 PM']Level 42 - Hot Water (lots of slapped dead notes to carry the line along, will help build a bit of stamina)[/quote]
Lots of synth to carry the line along when played live.

It starts with Larry Graham - Sly and/or Graham Central Station.
It passed to Stanley Clarke (School Days is good)
It went transatlantic with Marcus Miller (over there on stuff like Luther Vandross - Never Too Much -see the current BGM) and over here with Mark King and Level 42 (my favourite is The Chant Has Begun from True Colours - just put it on in fact)
There was a fair bit by Stuart Zender in early Jamiroquai.
Not done much these days in popular music (apart from Flea) but the likes of Marcus Miller still sell a few CD's/DVD's and fill reasonable sized venues but you wont hear it at Wembly.
Kai Ekhart is pretty good and slaps fretless.

Does your band want to do songs that need slapping? That would be a good place to start. Or are you planning to join the legions of bass players guilty of inappropriate slapping.

• 3 weeks later...

A really simple slap line is on Faith No More's 1st album, it's the first track (I think it's called Faster Disco)

It's not a great song, but it is slapped, and it's quite slow, it's also in E minor (what slap songs aren't lol) meaning you don't really have to concentrateon your left hand.

Like I say not onte of their better songs, but for nice slow steady first time slapping it's a winner.

Also try Fly away by Lenny Krazitz, again your roght hand isn't doing much allowing you to concentrate on the slapping.

If you want TAB for either of the above let me know :)

Marcus Miller, Level 42, and Stanley Clarke all have some awesome slap lines to aspire to, but I really wouldn't advise them for someone just beginning with Slap, there are a lot of subtle and complex techniques going on with those tracks.

Edited by gilmour

• 1 month later...