Why become a member? ×

How To Shim A Neck

BOD2

That still sounds to me that there's a little too much relief in the neck (and that maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn tighter would get the action where you want it without lowering the saddles or shimming the neck). Anyway, did you try the shim and has it worked?

Edited by HowieBass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Worth mentioning (having just removed 2 necks) - make sure you have the correct 'cross point' screwdriver. My Mexican and Indonesians both use Phillips number 2 (Phillips is standard on Fender builds). If you try to use a Pozi-Drive you will scrunch up the screw heads. The driver should be marked PH2 and [u]not[/u] PZ2. Other brands of guitar may differ, so check. A worn (or cheap brand) driver bit can also damage the heads as it will slip.

PH1 for pick guard and tuner screws
PH2 for neck and bridge screws

And if you postman has small elastic bands, mine were difficult to get over the headstock - wrap a strip of paper around the neck and secure with masking tape. Don't put tape directly on the strings, the darn stuff does not come off easily.

• 6 months later...

I've just used this excellent guide to successfully perform my first neck shim - thank you!

One word of warning - if you're leaving the strings on (I used a velcro tie), check that you haven't rotated the neck though 360 degrees before you screw it back on!

[attachment=189504:2015-04-15 19.08.45.jpg]

Edited by ras52

• 2 years later...