Why become a member? ×

music man stingrays

stevieb85

[quote name='bubinga5' post='496120' date='May 23 2009, 04:24 PM']I have a Stingray5 and i would say its one of the best 5 string's ive played...Just awsome tone...The best B string ive encountered....You just can not go wrong with one of these!!!![/quote]

+1

Loads of my favourite players use stingrays! I love the sound of them, on record too, but they do not work for me! I felt a G and L did all that and loads more. The 2000 or 2500 series. But to be honest I could play any bass in the world and still sound bad! I dont think you will go far wrong with a musicman though. But something like a jazz will always be useful and applicable to most music situations. I was very impressed with the aerodynes too,lovely bass and good for the money. Tim

[quote name='Delberthot' post='496112' date='May 23 2009, 04:14 PM']If its all about a certain sound that a certain bass player had on a certain album then forget about it.

Personally Rickenbackers sound hee haw like Chris Squire, Stingrays sound nothing like stingrays and so on. I can get my Wamoth bass to sound more like a Rick than I could get my Rick to sound like a Rick.

I've been everywhere from A to Z (excluding Alembic and Zon :) ) and its all about trying different stuff.

Nothing is as it seems.[/quote]

+1
I've use a bass the same as a certain artist and even got thier EQ settings on a similar amp and it didn't sound the same.
The tone is in yourself as well and, if replying on a recording, it could be engineered to sound that way.

Now if they played in front of you...That would be interesting.
But that's what I like about Stu Hamm...his sound is so natural when he plays with just him, his bass and an amp for an interview.
Still can't get that tone though!

I wanna do a Project Stringray build so I got an OLP to try so I can see if it works with me beofre even thinking about the real deal.

Edited by Kongo

ok ok when i said they demanded i got a stingray i was saying it jokeingly it was nothin more than a simple suguestion.

have any of you guys gone from fender to musicman? it has been fender i have always used, currently using my fender usa 1 pbass, and just sold my jazz to get money for a new toy. is there a lot of playing and sound diffrence?

[quote name='stevieb85' post='496548' date='May 24 2009, 12:06 PM']ok ok when i said they demanded i got a stingray i was saying it jokeingly it was nothin more than a simple suguestion.

have any of you guys gone from fender to musicman? it has been fender i have always used, currently using my fender usa 1 pbass, and just sold my jazz to get money for a new toy. is there a lot of playing and sound diffrence?[/quote]

Fender and Ernie Ball are my favourite manufacturers, purely because I like the look and sound. Ernie Ball tends to be more expensive, and thus the bass is usually a little better in the finish department. The gloss they use is very nice. Try a few out. Most shops have at least one.

Differences...well...be prepared for how powerful that humbucker really is. I love passive basses, but that humbucker growls like mad. It has all you could want...if you want to be heard, get one. It has quite a distinct tone like a Jazz (not the same though) but adds that extra oomph. Im not a mad fan of active instruments...but the MM/Sterling is a classic.

[quote name='stevieb85' post='496548' date='May 24 2009, 12:06 PM']ok ok when i said they demanded i got a stingray i was saying it jokeingly it was nothin more than a simple suguestion.

have any of you guys gone from fender to musicman? it has been fender i have always used, currently using my fender usa 1 pbass, and just sold my jazz to get money for a new toy. is there a lot of playing and sound diffrence?[/quote]

I've currently got US S1 P Bass and Ray4 3EQ. The P bass is better for certain things (like R&B, 60's 'pop') and the Ray to me works better on stage because it is easier to get it cutting through the mix. The P bass is a bit lighter and is more comfortable on a long gig. The MM feels better made, and has a faster neck (unfinished - waxed/oiled).

If I could only keep one................don't make me choose. :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='496684' date='May 24 2009, 05:02 PM']I've currently got US S1 P Bass and Ray4 3EQ. The P bass is better for certain things (like R&B, 60's 'pop') and the Ray to me works better on stage because it is easier to get it cutting through the mix. The P bass is a bit lighter and is more comfortable on a long gig. The MM feels better made, and has a faster neck (unfinished - waxed/oiled).

If I could only keep one................don't make me choose. :)[/quote]

I agree with this!

I have a musicman and a G+L tribute L 2500, they are both good basses.

Some G+Ls have more bite to the tone due to the pickup nearer the bridge, so aren't exactly like a musicman, but similar and the legacy instruments are good value.

The musicman is of course a safer bet.

Check the adds on this site and sooner or later someone will be selling a musicman.
If you can manage to get a good second hand musicman then you'll probably use it for a long time.

[quote name='stevieb85' post='495926' date='May 23 2009, 11:33 AM']for you guys who have a musicman, would your say they are good for rock music?

if you have a look at www.myspace.com/astronotmusic and listen to the new recording clips and you will hear what kinda sound im looking for[/quote]

I have a 2007 limited edition blue dawn stingray H. I love stingrays, they sound punchy and agressive. They are a perfect fit for rock. The only bass I play even more is my USA Gibson Thunderbird.

I could never decide if what I heard was true about the 2 Humbucker models. They say you cant get the exact old Stingray tone with it...but that might be nonsense. Something about positioning of the pups.

I am currently thinking of saving this autumn/winter for a new 5 String, and Im going for a 'Ray without a doubt. They look awesome.