Why become a member? ×
Account Security - Two Factor Authentication ×

IR for EUB 3Sigma in a live setting

JPJ

Question to the more technologically minded. Is anyone using IR’s of double bass with an EUB (specifically NS NXT in my case)? If so, how do you find them and what hardware are you using? 

Hi

I got an NXT a few months ago, my first double and love it but will be a while before I gig with it!

I use the sigma double bass IR in the HX stomp and would recommend - you can load it into any IR loader.

12 IRs to choose from - I went for the "Mod Bass" and may get one of the others too

They will instantly get you in the ball park

I also then bought the pack of presents for the stomp which are  excellent if a bit fiddly to install and then tweak - studio upright https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/items/category/helix-bass/

The presents are just a starting point and endlessly tweak able but they sound great through headphones and amp - instantly makes it sound more like an acoustic upright to my ears

I'd also recommend trying a mute (nino mute) which will deaden the sustain and give more of an acoustic sound

3 hours ago, Marti T said:

Hi

I got an NXT a few months ago, my first double and love it but will be a while before I gig with it!

I use the sigma double bass IR in the HX stomp and would recommend - you can load it into any IR loader.

12 IRs to choose from - I went for the "Mod Bass" and may get one of the others too

They will instantly get you in the ball park

I also then bought the pack of presents for the stomp which are  excellent if a bit fiddly to install and then tweak - studio upright https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/items/category/helix-bass/

The presents are just a starting point and endlessly tweak able but they sound great through headphones and amp - instantly makes it sound more like an acoustic upright to my ears

I'd also recommend trying a mute (nino mute) which will deaden the sustain and give more of an acoustic sound

Thanks Marti,

Thats what I wanted to know. I already use the Nino mute, and I’ve also changed mine from contemporary to traditional strings but whilst I can get a really convincing db tone from the D & G strings, I’m still struggling to get the same from the E & A strings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried one of the 3Sigma ones with my DB but it didn't make enough difference to the amplified sound to be worth bothering with. But since a DB amplified already sounds quite a lot like a DB (😀) it's not surprising. But I'd expect much more impact with an EUB alright. 

• Like 1

So I picked up a little Sonicake IR loader from Berserker on here, and I’ve purchased the German bass and Czech bass packs from 3Sigma.

Firstly, if you think the 3Sigma packs are pricey for a single IR, you actually get a whole lot more. The IR’s come in multiple sample rates to match your system/device and multiple IR’s in each sample rate each, one of which is specifically designed for NS basses, and then each IR having multiple microphone options. Tonight I loaded up a few of the German bass IR/mic combinations, and plugged the IR loader into my pedalboard in front of my EBS Stanley Clarke. 

First impressions are that the IR definitely adds something, but not something discernible enough to constitute a wow lightbulb moment. I’ll have more time to play about and try some of the other non-NS specific IR’s at the weekend, but at the moment I can’t see the Sonicake becoming a permanent feature on my live board.