Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

Here's one of the windowless gobos. (No glass yet for the others) It's essentially made of an 8' x 4' inch thick mdf board with a maple veneer to match the rest of the woodwork. It then has a 6 inch deep frame built around it. This will be filled with rockwool slabs and covered with fabric so that I have a reflective side and an absorbent side. Pretty simple to make and effective to boot:

And here's a little taster of a shot of the old control room for the gearheads amongst you:

The green goodness on top is a pair of EQP1a3s from Cartec in the UK. Have had them in for review over the last couple of weeks. Sadly I don't have a real Pultec to try them alongside so can't compare. All I can say is that they have [i]something[/i]. I like them. A lot.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates (if anyone is still watching). Been crazy busy. Here's a quick update. Thomas is busy working away on the new control room design. The current encarnation looks very slick with a glass RFZ and my ATC SCM300s apparently floating in space. I just can't wait to get in it!

I've been holding back on publishing a picture of my old control room so you can see quite how much a contrast it will be but sod it, I finished work today on an album I've been working on for quite some time so here's a snippet of the conditions I've been working in for so long (ps. it's not always this dark :) ):

• 1 month later...

So, here's where it gets really interesting! The control room design is now finished and we are tendering for contractors. Here's a sneak preview of the final control room design. Sorry about the resolution. I can't seem to make it any clearer. The first is a plan view:

And this one provides views from side to side and front to back:

While I try and obtain some higher resolution pics here's a bit more detail from Northward about the room:

"This Control Room is of the FTB type with a quasi isotropic response. The mains are ATC 300 in fully decoupled housings (natural frequency of ~4Hz). The CR is fully floated with a natural frequency of 6,8Hz.

A large "H" window was integrated in the design, to allow excellent visibility into the LR and vice-versa. 2D Diffusors type 870, adapted to the room's needs, serve as a basis for all diffusion in the CR. There is an extensive use of membranes and Variable Impedance Bass Traps."

More pics to follow!

• 2 weeks later...

A little update: the identical building next door (joined by a party wall) came up for sale a few weeks ago. After a lot of soul searching I decided to buy it. I made an offer only to find... doh! They already had an offer from another buyer. In the circumstances I had to pay a little more than I'd have liked (and probably more than if I'd been decisive when it first went up for sale) but yesterday they formally accepted my offer. Woohoo! Circle Studios just became 3600 sq ft!

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='964971' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:11 PM']A little update: the identical building next door (joined by a party wall) came up for sale a few weeks ago. After a lot of soul searching I decided to buy it. I made an offer only to find... doh! They already had an offer from another buyer. In the circumstances I had to pay a little more than I'd have liked (and probably more than if I'd been decisive when it first went up for sale) but yesterday they formally accepted my offer. Woohoo! Circle Studios just became 3600 sq ft![/quote]

Crikey!

You looking to measure up to the likes of Bridge Studios now then :)

Nice one mate, enjoy it!

• 3 months later...

Well, as it turns out it wasn't soon at all! Sorry for tardy update, I've been busy earning a crust! Anyway, after going through a lot of brainstorming on potential designs you can see below the final concept (please note this is just my rough sketchup so while things like square rooms appear, they don't in reality). Northward are working on the final detailed plans even as we speak and I hope to get started with the next build phase within the next month or so!

Let me know what you think!