Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

I used my Ns10 yesterday. Its a bloody good technique to have up your sleeve.

Have either of you found the SubKick emphasizes the pitch of the drum? I have used them once and found it was doing something strange (maybe overtones or harmonics?)... I have never had the chance to a/b the Ns10 and Sub kick though and wondered what you guys thought.

Ps - my earliest attempt was with a 12" driver. Oddly enough the kick drum hardly tickled it.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='610606' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:49 AM']I used my Ns10 yesterday. Its a bloody good technique to have up your sleeve.

Have either of you found the SubKick emphasizes the pitch of the drum? I have used them once and found it was doing something strange (maybe overtones or harmonics?)... I have never had the chance to a/b the Ns10 and Sub kick though and wondered what you guys thought.

Ps - my earliest attempt was with a 12" driver. Oddly enough the kick drum hardly tickled it.[/quote]

You really got to experiment with where you place it in relation to the drum head. Some time it sounds best right up to the skin, other times it works better if you make some kind of a tunnel (I have a few pieces of rockwool of vairable lenghts I use.) Placement in the room, size of drum and the player can all affect the result.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay guys. Been crazy busy. Here's one to keep you going... someone asked if I planned to put any art up around the place. I had a couple of things painted when I was i Thailand last year which I kind of planned to use in the lounge but my wife has decided she wants to put at least one of them up in the house. Here's a photo of it in situ:

What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big news coming up in the New Year. Until then I thought you'd be interested in finally hearing how the room sounds. Here's a clip of drums from a project I started tracking recently. Haven'd done the full mix yet so this is just from the rough mix. There's a Zener on the kick drum and dramastic obsidian on the mixbus. I raised the levels for ya with a UAD precision limiter. Other than that, no other EQ or processing.

For those who can't/won't download I've also posted the file on www.myspace.com/circlestudios (hmm, looks like the file may have been too big to upload here anyway)

Happy New Year!

Edited by Rimskidog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not strictly a build shot but some interesting pics from this weeks sessions: we are shooting for a Amy Winehouse/Daptones kind of sound so went for a 1952 Gretsch kit mic'd primarily with a pair of AEA R84's 5 feet out but with the addition of a subkick, a KM84 on hihat and a cascade fathead 20-25 feet out. The R84's went to chandler TG2, the subkick to Chandler Germ, the km84 and fathead went to a pacifica. First up is the Gretsch and mics and 2nd up an action shot. Enjoy:

Edited by Rimskidog