Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

• 3 weeks later...

As you'll see here there hasn't been an enormous amount of work over the summer. I spent about 6 weeks out of the country and came back straight into a session. The room has now been entirely painted and the floor has been sealed with concrete paint. Booth windows and door have not yet arrived. In fact I spent today cutting blocks of rockwool to fill the window apertures (but forgot to take pictures after I'd done so). Anyway, here's a few for you (taken on my iphone so excuse the quality):

And one of the house kit:

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='599081' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:37 AM']thanks man.

good eye. Yes it is![/quote]

Cool - I've bought a couple of them recently for my SE Gemini's - as I had one of those horrible moments watching helplessly as one toppled on to a floor on a standard mic stand that couldn't take the weight... :)
Knew that the time had come to get at least one 'proper' mic stand!
And the SE's are great stands - not done any drum recordings since I got them - but will certainly use them for over-heads next time I do...

And what's the mic you have on the guitar stand in front of the kit? A ribbon?

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='598812' date='Sep 14 2009, 11:01 PM']It's a Yamaha Subkick. An NS10 woofer wired backwards it's essentially a microphone that captures all the low end frequencies of the kick drum.[/quote]

Cheers!

Heard of 'em, never seen one.

I take it you have another mic in the shell or round back getting some beater click and what have you then?

We want all your secrets :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='599141' date='Sep 15 2009, 12:40 PM']Cheers!

I take it you have another mic in the shell or round back getting some beater click and what have you then?

We want all your secrets :)[/quote]

you see them set up on some kits from time to time, mostly on the YAMAHA stand at NAMM though lol

[quote name='99ster' post='599132' date='Sep 15 2009, 12:32 PM']Cool - I've bought a couple of them recently for my SE Gemini's - as I had one of those horrible moments watching helplessly as one toppled on to a floor on a standard mic stand that couldn't take the weight... :)
Knew that the time had come to get at least one 'proper' mic stand!
And the SE's are great stands - not done any drum recordings since I got them - but will certainly use them for over-heads next time I do...

And what's the mic you have on the guitar stand in front of the kit? A ribbon?[/quote]

yes. It's a cascade fathead with lundahl transformers. Probably the best bargain in audio at the moment! You can't tell but it's about 10 feet in front of the kick!

[quote name='51m0n' post='599141' date='Sep 15 2009, 12:40 PM']Cheers!

We want all your secrets :)[/quote]

you got em. There's a shure beta 91 inside the kick

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='599736' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:10 PM']yes. It's a cascade fathead with lundahl transformers. Probably the best bargain in audio at the moment! You can't tell but it's about 10 feet in front of the kick![/quote]

Haha that's perspective for you. Okay cool i expected you'd have some sort of isobooth given everything else lol. I can't wait to hear some soundclips if you're willing of course :)

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='599736' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:10 PM']yes. It's a cascade fathead with lundahl transformers. Probably the best bargain in audio at the moment! You can't tell but it's about 10 feet in front of the kick![/quote]

Love Cascades, superb for the wonga!

NOt heard the Lundhal transformer version though, make much difference?

[quote name='WinterMute' post='600100' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:49 PM']Looking good mate, the API is a cracking desk to run PT through, makes the 192's sound good!

Couldn't see what monitoring you use (admittedly on a cursory glance) what's in the control room?[/quote]

thanks man though I don't use 192s. I have 32 I/o of lynx aurora and a cranesong hedd on the mixbus

midfields are Adam s3a. Mains are dynaudio m3s

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='600565' date='Sep 16 2009, 06:43 PM']Haha that's perspective for you. Okay cool i expected you'd have some sort of isobooth given everything else lol. I can't wait to hear some soundclips if you're willing of course :)[/quote]

there will be a total of 3 isobooths under the final design!

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='600650' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:57 PM']thanks man though I don't use 192s. I have 32 I/o of lynx aurora and a cranesong hedd on the mixbus

midfields are Adam s3a. Mains are dynaudio m3s[/quote]

Good choices all round there!

We're stuck with 192's as we have a job lot from Digi, we have 14 HD rigs and 24 studio rooms, I can't afford to even begin thinking about changing the I/O...!

How are you getting on with the Adams?

[quote name='WinterMute' post='601033' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:37 AM']Good choices all round there!

We're stuck with 192's as we have a job lot from Digi, we have 14 HD rigs and 24 studio rooms, I can't afford to even begin thinking about changing the I/O...!

How are you getting on with the Adams?[/quote]

Wow! That's huge! Is that a teaching facility of some kind?

Love the Adams. Stuff just translates

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='601139' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:06 AM']Wow! That's huge! Is that a teaching facility of some kind?

Love the Adams. Stuff just translates[/quote]

Yep, its the music tech department of the London College of Music, which is part of Thames Valley University.

We use Dynaudio M1 and BM5a's for near-fields, a few PMC's too, mainly PMC and ATC for mains, I've been meaning to get some Adams in for comparison for a while, Pip Williams lectures with us and he has Adams near-fields, swears by em.

Edited by WinterMute