Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

[quote name='51m0n' post='539884' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:21 PM']Cool, I was worried you'd given up on us Trev :)

Like the angling of the wall box, anything to help get the right lead into the right hole :rolleyes:[/quote]

Nah not given up on you guys. Just busy trying to finish up current project before next one starts!

There's a bunch of offline stuff going on in the next couple of weeks: bathroom and kitchen are being replaced, plasterers are coming in again to skim booth and then decorators are coming in. I'll update you again after that!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update of the last couple of weeks' activity. I just got back to the country.

The bathroom was completely torn out and the plaster knocked off the walls, flooring was torn up. It was all quite nasty. At this point it has been re-plastered, the toilet has been replaced and the entire room painted (white at this point). I'll post a pic when it's finished.

The old control room has been given a bit of a cosmetic only face lift pending work beginning on the new one (hopefully sometime quite soon) which is at the opposite end of the building. I'm hoping the facelift of the old room will be finished tomorrow. I'll post a pic when it is.

While I was away the plasterer was due to finish the booth and the decorator was due in. Well the decorator turned up but no sign of the plasterer. Despite promising to appear on a number of occasions he remained missing in action. This, of course, meant the decorator couldn't finish Ultimately, the decorator called in another plasterer who, on closer inspection, noted some nasty looking cracks in the plaster on the booth covering an area of about 4' x 4':

here's another shot:

Fine if it's just skin deep you say... Unfortunately it wasn't. A few taps, made that obvious. The movement in it was noticeable.

As a result, it had to be replaced:

before it could, finally, be skimmed:

Finally, the decorators can come and finish the job!

Finally I got some drums into the room for tracking! Here's a happy snap for your delectation. Was still setting up at this stage: moving kit around, moving gobos, trying different mics etc:

Loads of things still to do in the room: decorating to be finished, traps to be mounted, windows and doors to be fitted to booth 1 etc. One day... But one thing I know for sure now... drums sound HUGE in this room!

What a shame it such a tiny room, that you can only just squeeze the drums in and have to make do with whatevr fits....
e
Oh, sorry, thinking of almost every other studio I've seen posted on a forum, that looks great!

Bet it feels a bit more real now you've had a chance to play in there a bit eh!

[quote name='51m0n' post='564705' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:36 AM']What a shame it such a tiny room, that you can only just squeeze the drums in and have to make do with whatevr fits....
e
Oh, sorry, thinking of almost every other studio I've seen posted on a forum, that looks great![/quote]

:) Tell me about it mate! Wow this looks amazing, very nice 24 in 8 out box thingy, i can imagine the console will be impressive. I was thinking of getting a mixing console for my studio the other day. I should probably just concentrate on buying mics and soundproofing at the moment. I already have a delta 1010 that'll do for now even if m-audio are a bunch of w***ers against 64 bit machines.

Thanks guys. Not much happening at the moment. I'm back in the States finishing off the job I started tracking in July. I expect to be here for another couple of weeks or so. More specifically:

[list]@ Edward, the wallbox is one of three identical ones around the room;
@ Mike257, I still think the photos don't do it justice. Once it's finished I'lll get a pro in to take some photos for me.
@ Bythesea - I can't decide whether to go for shagpile or to just cover the floor with sawdust, I'd worry that might attract the Country crowd though... Think I might just go with maple per the original plan ;-)
@ 51mon - git :)
[/list]

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='568468' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:20 PM']Thanks guys. Not much happening at the moment. I'm back in the States finishing off the job I started tracking in July. I expect to be here for another couple of weeks or so. More specifically:

[list]@ Edward, the wallbox is one of three identical ones around the room;
@ Mike257, I still think the photos don't do it justice. Once it's finished I'lll get a pro in to take some photos for me.
@ Bythesea - I can't decide whether to go for shagpile or to just cover the floor with sawdust, I'd worry that might attract the Country crowd though... Think I might just go with maple per the original plan ;-)
@ 51mon - git :)
[/list][/quote]

wow that's like 72 in, 24 out.

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='571148' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:34 PM']Protools HD3 system. There'll be an API desk in there when were are finished.[/quote]

Sounds good. Surprised its only an HD3 system, thought you would have gone bigger to give more power to a studio of that size.
May need to stop by and have a look when its done, and im in the area.

G

[quote name='Archetype' post='571154' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:38 PM']Sounds good. Surprised its only an HD3 system, thought you would have gone bigger to give more power to a studio of that size.
May need to stop by and have a look when its done, and im in the area.

G[/quote]

I don't do much 'in the box' so there's really no need for more. I've run 150 channel sessions without a glitch.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='573346' date='Aug 18 2009, 07:22 PM']The 1608 or bigger?

G[/quote]

Well the plan was a 32 channel 1608 but since they announced that they won't be doing automation I'm starting of thinking of a legacy. There are a couple of deals around on well maintained used ones right now...