Why become a member? ×

Japcrap - or just crap?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='494505' date='May 21 2009, 05:41 PM']Morris as in Rose Morris, of Shaftesbury fame?[/quote]
Morris as in house-brand of [url="http://www.kiwi-us.com/~mmi/"]Moridaira Musical Instruments[/url]. Pretty acoustics & distribution these days, but back in the day Morris/Moridaira gave the world some pretty decent JapCrap, although I don't think the Hurricane brand was their top stuff. This looks like an OK late 70s/early 80s P copy, the guy says it was a project & I'm guessing that involved fitting the Dimarzio pup, which doesn't exactly fit the scratchplate. Plainly the project didn't extend to realigning the bridge.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='495303' date='May 22 2009, 04:08 PM']Morris as in house-brand of [url="http://www.kiwi-us.com/~mmi/"]Moridaira Musical Instruments[/url]. Pretty acoustics & distribution these days, but back in the day Morris/Moridaira gave the world some pretty decent JapCrap, although I don't think the Hurricane brand was their top stuff. This looks like an OK late 70s/early 80s P copy, the guy says it was a project & I'm guessing that involved fitting the Dimarzio pup, which doesn't exactly fit the scratchplate. Plainly the project didn't extend to realigning the bridge.

Jon.[/quote]

I recall an advert for an Hurricane guitar (in Guitar Player mag circa '84) - their tagline was `Watch out Kramer, the Hurricane is here'!

That bass looks good and bad at the same time! Good quality Tokai style machine heads!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='495303' date='May 22 2009, 04:08 PM']Morris as in house-brand of [url="http://www.kiwi-us.com/~mmi/"]Moridaira Musical Instruments[/url]. Pretty acoustics & distribution these days, but back in the day Morris/Moridaira gave the world some pretty decent JapCrap, although I don't think the Hurricane brand was their top stuff. This looks like an OK late 70s/early 80s P copy, the guy says it was a project & I'm guessing that involved fitting the Dimarzio pup, which doesn't exactly fit the scratchplate. Plainly the project didn't extend to realigning the bridge.

Jon.[/quote]

I emailed the guy about the Dimarzio pups, and he said he didn't know anything about them. I got the impression he didn't install them, not too sure what the guy did to the bass as he said it was a restoration project! All seems a bit fishy to me.

Quite likely it's not really a DiMarzio, then, loads of Jap basses & guitars from this era used pups with cream covers & hex poles and this is quite likely just what came on the bass. Doesn't mean it's a crap pickup, though, the Ibanez Blazers & Roadsters from this era have no-name Japanese DiMarzio copies which sound great. These are probably Maxons or Gotohs, and there's every chance this is the same.

J.