Why become a member? ×

Ebay/Paypal refunds, do you think I'm eligable???

Johnny Hoof

So, at the end of last month I bought an old sound city 200 watt bass head off a guy on ebay, it wasn't the most detailed listing ever but there were no problems or issues noted and the guy had 100% positive feedback off 200and something sales. I paid over the odds for the head as I've been looking for ages and thought, due to the seller (who operate as a shop and even manufacture their own amps) this was a safe bet.

Basically, bought the head, the guy sent it via parcel2go. The amp arived in a carboard box with one sheet of bubble wrap around it, the back panel is hanging off and the chasis is only attached to the cabinet by one, almost entirely ripped out of the wood, screw so it is free to move around inside. The valves were not taken out or protected with anything. Also, this head can take four valves and there are only two in it, I know that heads can run with only two but I think that I should have been told by the seller....its a bit like buying a car and it only turning up with two seats isn't it?

The guy who sent it seems like a decent enough guy so I don't want to try and reclaim unnecessarily, he reckons any damage is the couriers fault but they're looking like theyre not going to pay any compensation because a claim has to be made within 14 days of COLLECTION with Pacel2go and there were loads of issues getting the package delivered as on the initial delivery attempt no card was left so i never knew it had happened and we've run out of time to claim.

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth me trying to claim back through paypal? I've been speaking to the seller trying to get the money back through parcel2go but i think we've hit a dead end with that. I've never claimed back through paypal so I don't know how it works....

Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks.

[quote name='Johnny Hoof' post='493956' date='May 21 2009, 09:19 AM']So, at the end of last month I bought an old sound city 200 watt bass head off a guy on ebay, it wasn't the most detailed listing ever but there were no problems or issues noted and the guy had 100% positive feedback off 200and something sales. I paid over the odds for the head as I've been looking for ages and thought, due to the seller (who operate as a shop and even manufacture their own amps) this was a safe bet.

Basically, bought the head, the guy sent it via parcel2go. The amp arived in a carboard box with one sheet of bubble wrap around it, the back panel is hanging off and the chasis is only attached to the cabinet by one, almost entirely ripped out of the wood, screw so it is free to move around inside. The valves were not taken out or protected with anything. Also, this head can take four valves and there are only two in it, I know that heads can run with only two but I think that I should have been told by the seller....its a bit like buying a car and it only turning up with two seats isn't it?

The guy who sent it seems like a decent enough guy so I don't want to try and reclaim unnecessarily, he reckons any damage is the couriers fault but they're looking like theyre not going to pay any compensation because a claim has to be made within 14 days of COLLECTION with Pacel2go and there were loads of issues getting the package delivered as on the initial delivery attempt no card was left so i never knew it had happened and we've run out of time to claim.

What do you guys reckon? Is it worth me trying to claim back through paypal? I've been speaking to the seller trying to get the money back through parcel2go but i think we've hit a dead end with that. I've never claimed back through paypal so I don't know how it works....

Thanks.[/quote]

Claim, he might be a nice guy but he didn't do you any favours sending a head in packaging that could be so easily damaged. Couriers damage things, most people know that, and if he's in the business of moving these things around, he should know it more than most. Get onto it ASAP as Paypal have time limits also
Chris

[quote name='Johnny Hoof' post='493956' date='May 21 2009, 09:19 AM']So, at the end of last month I bought an old sound city 200 watt bass head off a guy on ebay, it wasn't the most detailed listing ever but there were no problems or issues noted and the guy had 100% positive feedback off 200and something sales. I paid over the odds for the head as I've been looking for ages and thought, due to the seller (who operate as a shop and even manufacture their own amps) this was a safe bet.

I sold a bass through ebay and sent it with UK Mail. They damaged the bass and the buyer put a PayPal claim on me.
I thought this was unfair and contacted PAYPAL. There answer shocked me...the BUYER has the right to put a claim against the seller if the goods are NOT AS EXPECTED, this can mean damage in transit the wrong goods sent or just simply not wanted. They took back the money from me, and credited the buyer while I battled with UKmail for a damage claim.

Paypal does not protect the seller, it is designed to protect the BUYER.............You have the right to put a claim in and the seller will have to sort out the damage with the postal service...if he had it insured.

The down side it could take you up to 3 months to recover the money as the seller could delay the claim.

Hope this helps.....................PAYPAL can be your best friend or the biggest nightmare of all time, believe me I've been there.

Thanks.[/quote]

Thanks.[/quote]

It sounds like a combination of the seller's fault for insufficient packaging (anyone who has received anything distinctly fragile from me will know that I have a healthy distrust of couriers and wrap that ming vase in many layers of bubble wrap, pad out boxes with airbags, foam, polystyrene etc.) and the couriers playing football with your package. They do this sometimes - the seller really ought to have known better.

I wouldn't give a damn about their so called 14 day policy. Get angry on their asses, they will acquiesce eventually. I had to rant and rave at Royal Mail once because they left a parcel of books outside my flat and it ended up on an impromptu mattress bonfire outside our place. They squirmed, offered me stamps, all that rubbish until they finally backed down and paid me the compensation. Be prepared to send letters. Phones and emails can be ignored.

Apply pressure on the seller for his part in this - if he has 100% he'll be anxious to avoid that first black mark. Be insistent on the insufficient packaging. Ask for a refund, file a claim if you have to. Then it's up to the seller to get compensation from the courier.

But I'm mostly angry at the courier.

Its not your problem that the courier are playing silly buggers - he's the one that has to claim from the courier.

I'd raise a paypal dispute without delay and tell him you've done that. Only communicate through the dispute interface so paypal have an audit trail of messages back & forth about the issue. You can cancel the dispute if the issue is resolved.

It should work:
You get money back from Paypal -> paypal gets money back from seller -> Seller gets money back from courier

But if the process stalls at the 3rd stage it is the seller that has to thrash it out with parcel2go, so really you shoudn't worry about getting involved any further than providing evidence to him about the state of the amp. He'd have to take the hit anyway if they say it did not comply with their packaging standards.

Parcel2 go are w***ers. Their criteria for a claim basically mean that the instant you realize it damaged you need to claim (by post) with a bunch of paperwork they don't give out unless you request it.

Open a dispute at the very least and keep communicating with the seller.

Edited by slaphappygarry

[quote name='Johnny Hoof' post='494062' date='May 21 2009, 11:27 AM']Thanks very much guys, don't seem to be getting anywhere with the couriers so I'm going to raise a paypsl dispute.

What do you think about the valve thing? Am I wrong to be pissed off that its only got two valves in it?[/quote]

Is it reasonable that the seller would know it only had two valves in? AND... even if he did would he know that there was anything unusual about it? It strikes me that if you have an amp and it seems to work properly then you wouldn't worry overly. Valves... it's all weird. How can an amp have "optional" valves?

Yeah, he knew that there were only two, there are four valve saddle/seat/input thingies but only valves in the outer two. The two in the middle are empty.

I'm not too in the know about things like this but heads can run off one matched pair of valves even though there is room for two.

I'd just expect someone to let me know there are only two in there instead of four. I'm not sure if that's just me being dumb though, I spose you could say that if it works... it works.

I bought a musicman 130 head a couple of years ago which arrived with the valves fallen out, and when I pushed them back in, it didnt work. I put a claim in to parcelforce via the seller and they paid for the cost of new valves and a service.

What John Luke Pick Guard said.

Dont mess around waiting for someone to be nice to you. Get that Paypal dispute opened, and immediately escalate this to a claim. You have to escalate to a claim, it isnt automatic. You open the dispute first, but there's an option to escalate.
Do this.
You only have 20 days.

Sod the ' nice guy, owns a shop '

He obviously doesnt give a toss. 2 vlaves were there is meant to be 4 ? Packaging that was even unsuitable for sending a pillow ?

He's taking the piss. You do the same, and as mentioned, only communicate with messages through the Paypal dispute/claim system. Not email

Edited by fleabag

Cheers guys,

raised the claim, the guy phoned me up and firstly tried to trick me and then intimidate me into canceling it. Then refused to refund me through paypal so I've escalated it to a claim. Hopefully I'll be sucessful.

Just in case, the guy's ebay name is Sheldonamps and used to be rockrivermusic.

Avoid avoid avoid.

Remember too - you as a seller can neg him. Do it. He can't revenge neg you back. Sellers cant leave negs. Also, anyone you neg, make sure you add them to your ' Blocked Buyers " list

[quote name='Johnny Hoof' post='498390' date='May 26 2009, 11:38 PM']Cheers guys,

raised the claim, the guy phoned me up and firstly tried to trick me and then intimidate me into canceling it. Then refused to refund me through paypal so I've escalated it to a claim. Hopefully I'll be sucessful.

Just in case, the guy's ebay name is Sheldonamps and used to be rockrivermusic.

Avoid avoid avoid.[/quote]
Sounds like he's showing his true colours now. If he calls again refuse to speak to him & only communicate via paypal messages, so they can see whats being said, he has to respond via that medium anyway to put his side across.

Paypal will eventually refund you the full amount, although you might have to pay for the return if you're successful in your claim. THe other way to do it is to just call your credit card company and get them to stop the payment. THat tends to get Paypal's attention.

Sadly, I've heard of Sheldonamps before as an ebay seller: [url="http://www.brasswind.org/330.htm"]http://www.brasswind.org/330.htm[/url]

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, so I got the money back through paypal and sent back the amp, Sheldon is saying he's going to take me to court because he reckons the amp suffered further damage when I sent it back to him (in exactly the same packaging he sent it to me in!).

Well actually, he is accusing me of buying the amp, smashing it up, and then applying for a refund....

Like I said, steer well clear of this guy, he is getting pretty nasty in his emails, even told me he's going to find out what band I'm in and where I rehearse and that he's got a lot of friends in London from when he was "in the service".

Needless to say, I'm shitting myself, he'll track me down in no time in this small town!

The guy must be some sort of idiot, if he had any brains he wouldn't threaten, he would just do it.
What you need to say to the guy is. You will be keeping all his threatening emails and recorded threatening phone calls and if anything should happen to me and or your band or equipment, the police will know who exactly will be the first person to go to visit. It's his reputation in question not yours.
He sounds like he is all mouth, bring it on!!

[quote name='CyberBass' post='508870' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:48 AM']The guy must be some sort of idiot, if he had any brains he wouldn't threaten, he would just do it.
What you need to say to the guy is. You will be keeping all his threatening emails and recorded threatening phone calls and if anything should happen to me and or your band or equipment, the police will know who exactly will be the first person to go to visit. It's his reputation in question not yours.
He sounds like he is all mouth, bring it on!![/quote]

Yeah straight up, I'm not worried about him doing anything, I think he's full of sh*t and trying to worry me into taking down the negative feedback I left him.

He's been trying an insane amount of tricks and ways of behaving to get around me, really getting on my tits. Still, the cash is back in the bank and thats the main thing. I'm definitely never going to buy without paypal, lifesaver.

Take a look at some of these bargains.

[url="http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Sheldon-Amplification__W0QQ_armrsZ1"]http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Sheldon-Ampl...n__W0QQ_armrsZ1[/url]

Loving the Gibson tuners with 100% non original white/not snot green tulip buttons, yours for only £499, you want find these anywhere else on ebay.

Edited by steve-soar

That is a total bummer of a story and soory to hear you had such a hassle!
I have never (touch wood) had any bother with eBay/Paypal but am reluctant to use it now as I feel my time is due - luckily i use a little independent music shop in Glasgow to sell any gear for me on commission - I just tell them what I'd be happy making out of it and let them get on with it.
I find buying and selling on eBay can be quite stressful even if things are going ok - it only takes one prick to ruin your day.

Hope it all turns ok

BB