Why become a member? ×

Compressor

greyparrot

HI,

im looking for a good compressor for recording and live. CAn anyone recomend one good for bass, and not too expensive. I would also like a chours / flanger as well. Not too worried about anything else. What are the line 6 bass pod compressors like? any good? are they quite? I have a good un on my pratice combo (roland cube 30) but no use for live work. A rackmount unit would also be ok. Are the V-amps any good for compression? i have heard they can be noisey? Dont really want 3 separate boxes eighther so i guess one of the multi fx units.

Thanks chaps

GP

If you want a multi-effects, the Boss ones have a really good compression section, with multiple typles of compression available (even a simulated MXR Dynacomp), And the pedal has an adjustable noise gate (you can either let everything through or make it as quiet as a mouse), problem is, the chorus and flanger are under the same pedal (on the ME50b)

I havnt tried the newer Me20b or gt-10b...but by the looks of it the pedals are separately assignable.

I have used a line 6 live XT (the big 'ol floor one) before; the compresser is nice and quiet, however i found the sound of it to be too digital, but i suppose some good EQ on top of this would solve any problem.

Hope this is of some help.

I have a Digitech BP8, the compressor on it is fantastic.

But, it wasnt even close to my focusrite. I've pretty much come to the opinion that you just need a quality stand alone compressor.

As for chorus/flanger, I think you wont find many multi-fx where you could run both at the same time, if thats what you need. If you only want one or the other I would suggest keeping you eyes out for a BP8, they often go pretty cheap.

They aren't perfect but if thats the extent of what you really need to do they are really good at chorus/flanger and compression...

If you can afford a couple of hundred pounds or more, I would recommend a DBX 160A (mono) or Focusrite compounder (twin channel)

For much less (as long as you don't want heavy compression) Behringer aren't at all bad.
I'd steer clear of Alesis compression personally.

(edit: 2 Focusrite recommendations in two consecutive posts! :) )

Edited by Stewart

Rackmount : Focusrite Compounder
Pedal : EBS Multicomp

Just my opinion like. There has been loads of threads about about compressors, check back through the section and have a good read for an idea of whats out there.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494120' date='May 21 2009, 12:13 PM']Rackmount : Focusrite Compounder
Pedal : EBS Multicomp

Just my opinion like. There has been loads of threads about about compressors, check back through the section and have a good read for an idea of whats out there.[/quote]

Great i was looking at this

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/21438/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/21438/[/url]

Anyone tried it?
and a seperate flanger pedal. I have had both rack mount tube and other berhimger comps. but they dont have that squeeze that i loke for slap.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='494213' date='May 21 2009, 01:31 PM']Great i was looking at this

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/21438/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/21438/[/url]

Anyone tried it?
and a seperate flanger pedal. I have had both rack mount tube and other berhimger comps. but they dont have that squeeze that i loke for slap.[/quote]

Slap you say?! EBS supreme. Check out some sound samples at [url="http://www.ebssweden.com/2007/multicomp.htm"]http://www.ebssweden.com/2007/multicomp.htm[/url]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494245' date='May 21 2009, 01:51 PM']Slap you say?! EBS supreme. Check out some sound samples at [url="http://www.ebssweden.com/2007/multicomp.htm"]http://www.ebssweden.com/2007/multicomp.htm[/url][/quote]

Yep thats it, i want one. Also analog i much prefer this to digital compression. Great, will get looking, bass centre have one at £130 will seek lower prices! Also has anyone tried the ashdown duel compressor? any good?

Thanks,

GP.

Edited by greyparrot

[quote name='greyparrot' post='494311' date='May 21 2009, 02:53 PM']Yep thats it, i want one. Also analog i much prefer this to digital compression. Great, will get looking, bass centre have one at £130 will seek lower prices!

Thanks,

GP.[/quote]

£130 seems like a great price.

Bass Direct are £139 + £7 p&p

PS - the EBS Chorus is pretty amazing also - especially in stereo... but who runs a stereo rig? Actually, you could through the PA (hard pan the two channels you are going into left and right). That would be pretty immense.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494317' date='May 21 2009, 02:58 PM']£130 seems like a great price.

PS - the EBS Chorus is pretty amazing also - especially in stereo... but who runs a stereo rig? Actually, you could through the PA. That would be pretty immense.[/quote]

ebay £115!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494324' date='May 21 2009, 03:03 PM']Feck. That's good.

Actually, that is a used one. Used ones run in at around £80.[/quote]

Opps not that great then. In the morning im going to PMT southend, they have an ashdown duel comp, thats just £49 so will see what thats like. Has anyone got one? I will start another tread i think with that question. Failling that the ebs. For recording, the one on my roland bass cube is great, but just looking for a live box really.

Thanks,

GP.

i like the Zoom digital multi effects pedals....do not like analog pedals!!

if you notice ,people at home use the computers for Recording ? use the plugins for compressor , reverbs , etc....right? but why ??? because since the music is inside the computer , in the Sequencer, We can make all the changes without add noise , distortion etc, because the sound are in digital format , well guess this one everyone knows LOL

Thats the way Digital Pedals work too...you plug the bass , the pedal sample at 24bit,, then you
Compress , you Eq, etc..all in digital format , nothing is lost (like the computer + soundcards we use at home for recording )

the Digital pedals this days sample the sound at 24bit..then process inside at 32bit , its realy High quality most of them , well some are realy High quality like the Zoom , digitech , boss..!!

(please do not say that digital is more cold , and analog is more Warm ,bla bla.. that remind me the old talk when some people start to use computers for Audio Recording, and the rest of the world say that is cold sound etc etc...Well some years Later ,there we are in the digital, we all use it :-) ....ok ok i know some people have analog/valve pre at home before the soundcard....but..the Digital converters this days are so Professional and good!

well guess it me that love Technology for Bass players...like superior components (graphite basses), nice modern Bass Design (not the big , heavy body from the past with that thing we call pickguard, eheh..even Cars makers left the Crome..hey the present is now , [b]BASS PLAYERS DO HAVE TO STAY IN THE PAST[/b], ehehe (and becarefull , Keyboard players are taking some bass jobs)....well lest keep going, i love Digital pedals (no noise,Memory banks..etc) ,and i like Light weight speakers !!! Period

i like the bass Players that are more famous then the guitar players in their bands...you know the ones, the Bass players that no not stay there close to the drummers , like if we are the poor musicians , someone forgot them there ehehe....well im geting bored now...better go

:-)

[url="http://www.makemusicnews.com"]Some News for Musicians[/url]

n

[quote name='rogerio_paulo67' post='494586' date='May 21 2009, 07:39 PM']i like the Zoom digital multi effects pedals....do not like analog pedals!!

if you notice ,people at home use the computers for Recording ? use the plugins for compressor , reverbs , etc....right? but why ??? because since the music is inside the computer , in the Sequencer, We can make all the changes without add noise , distortion etc, because the sound are in digital format , well guess this one everyone knows LOL

Thats the way Digital Pedals work too...you plug the bass , the pedal sample at 24bit,, then you
Compress , you Eq, etc..all in digital format , nothing is lost (like the computer + soundcards we use at home for recording )

the Digital pedals this days sample the sound at 24bit..then process inside at 32bit , its realy High quality most of them , well some are realy High quality like the Zoom , digitech , boss..!!

(please do not say that digital is more cold , and analog is more Warm ,bla bla.. that remind me the old talk when some people start to use computers for Audio Recording, and the rest of the world say that is cold sound etc etc...Well some years Later ,there we are in the digital, we all use it :-) ....ok ok i know some people have analog/valve pre at home before the soundcard....but..the Digital converters this days are so Professional and good!

well guess it me that love Technology for Bass players...like superior components (graphite basses), nice modern Bass Design (not the big , heavy body from the past with that thing we call pickguard, eheh..even Cars makers left the Crome..hey the present is now , [b]BASS PLAYERS DO HAVE TO STAY IN THE PAST[/b], ehehe (and becarefull , Keyboard players are taking some bass jobs)....well lest keep going, i love Digital pedals (no noise,Memory banks..etc) ,and i like Light weight speakers !!! Period

i like the bass Players that are more famous then the guitar players in their bands...you know the ones, the Bass players that no not stay there close to the drummers , like if we are the poor musicians , someone forgot them there ehehe....well im geting bored now...better go

:-)

n[/quote]

Yep, thing is most digital compressors i have come accross always seem to have a level of digital hiss? or have i been useing the wrong ones? I will try a few tomorrow, and see whats best. They also have a line 6 live fllor board, i might give that a go, but its a bit too big in my opinion. I dont really want to lose the sound of the sadowsky pre amp, so will have to be a little careful to find a unit that will not colour the original tone.

GP.

Basscentre always seem to have the lowest prices for EBS pedals. Something to look out for - the newest range of pedays have true bypass - the previous ones didn't. Look for the True Bypass stamped on the top, as in this one:
[url="http://www.bass.se/2007/multicomp.htm"]http://www.bass.se/2007/multicomp.htm[/url]

[quote name='greyparrot' post='494344' date='May 21 2009, 03:19 PM']Opps not that great then. In the morning im going to PMT southend, they have an ashdown duel comp, thats just £49 so will see what thats like. Has anyone got one? I will start another tread i think with that question. Failling that the ebs. For recording, the one on my roland bass cube is great, but just looking for a live box really.

Thanks,

GP.[/quote]

Tread carefully, mate, and TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

I've been reading these Compressor threads for weeks, weighing up the Pros & Cons, and I finally went down to Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience this afternoon to buy a Demeter Compulator ... outrageously expensive but supposedly [i]les coulis du chien[/i] and - from the descriptions and reviews and recommendations - exactly what I wanted.

I spent over an hour playing through it, by the end of which I was thoroughly convinced that it was NOT the right pedal for me. The guys in the shop then passed me half a dozen other compressors. When I reached the Maxon CP9Pro+ I knew within minutes that it was what I was looking for.

I hadn't even considered the Maxon from having read the descriptions and reviews and recommendations.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Good luck.

yes i understand your thoughts about changing you bass sound , because of pedals....but when i was talking about Digital , was
more for the Multieffects pedal, not one pedal effect !!

Try some, but you must also know about settings , because many times people do not know how to use settings in the Compressor , or even chorus ..etc, and after, they say that the bass sound is bad .

thats why some Sound Engineers or Producers can make a diferent in some Recordings, the same aply to musicians, some can make a good sound in the midle of the band when are in the garage , or stage, others not !

Working and using the effects parameters , is also a learning process always, because the same parameters in diferent Pedal makers , can sound diferent !! ohh yé...for example you read somewere that a good "Ratio" for bass is 4:1 , but then you try with your bass+amp+your style , and .....and you do not like it that way LOL , but then suprise , with another pedal that setting already work :-)

So Better know how effects work, to feel confortable acessing the parameters, and,.....hear...hear...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='494317' date='May 21 2009, 02:58 PM']£130 seems like a great price.

PS - the EBS Chorus is pretty amazing also - especially in stereo... but who runs a stereo rig? Actually, you could through the PA (hard pan the two channels you are going into left and right). That would be pretty immense.[/quote]

Also check out the EBS Dynaverb - great sound overall but particularly sweet for fretless.

cheers

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='494807' date='May 22 2009, 12:21 AM']Tread carefully, mate, and TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

I've been reading these Compressor threads for weeks, weighing up the Pros & Cons, and I finally went down to Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience this afternoon to buy a Demeter Compulator ... outrageously expensive but supposedly [i]les coulis du chien[/i] and - from the descriptions and reviews and recommendations - exactly what I wanted.

I spent over an hour playing through it, by the end of which I was thoroughly convinced that it was NOT the right pedal for me. The guys in the shop then passed me half a dozen other compressors. When I reached the Maxon CP9Pro+ I knew within minutes that it was what I was looking for.

I hadn't even considered the Maxon from having read the descriptions and reviews and recommendations.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Good luck.[/quote]

I always thought that the Demeter Compulator is the Emperor's New Clothes. It's crap for bass. OK, it's alright for passive but not good on actives. On guitar however, it is absolutely the business.

But then again, there are as many people on here who will still sing it's praises.

Try, try, try...

[quote name='megazap63' post='495070' date='May 22 2009, 12:30 PM']Also check out the EBS Dynaverb - great sound overall but particularly sweet for fretless.

cheers[/quote]

Agreed - but it won't do the big crashing reverb. If you want that tap dancing reverb, then yeah, the business. And of course, the combination of the reverb and chorus pedals are unstoppable. Especially on fretless.

• 2 weeks later...