Why become a member? ×

Orange bass terror: 500 watts at ? ohms

adz

I believe (having learned on this forum) that it doesn't matter, so long as you connect the right impedance cabinets to the right output - I'm assuming the amp will have 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs - you should in theory get max power with any of those but you must connect the right impedance to the matching output. I am prepared to be corrected :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='493942' date='May 21 2009, 08:47 AM']I believe (having learned on this forum) that it doesn't matter, so long as you connect the right impedance cabinets to the right output - I'm assuming the amp will have 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs - you should in theory get max power with any of those but you must connect the right impedance to the matching output. I am prepared to be corrected :)[/quote]

Just to confuse you John, the Bass Terror is a hybrid. Although it has a valve pre-amp, the output stage is solid state and so should be regarded as such for output power and speaker impedance.

I've searched and been unable to find a proper specification for it anywhere.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='493960' date='May 21 2009, 09:27 AM']Oh flippin heck, it took me ages to learn all that :)
I suppose it would make sense to be a hybrid as to knock out 500w would take what, 10 KT88s? That would be one very large and probably very heavy amp![/quote]

Sorry to spoil your day but life's like that. Just when you get you head around something the goalposts move. :rolleyes:

[quote name='obbm' post='493953' date='May 21 2009, 09:09 AM']Just to confuse you John, the Bass Terror is a hybrid. Although it has a valve pre-amp, the output stage is solid state and so should be regarded as such for output power and speaker impedance.

I've searched and been unable to find a proper specification for it anywhere.[/quote]

Oh hell! The new Trace Elliot 12 band heads are like that too!
I don't quite understand it so much... :)

[quote name='Kongo' post='494456' date='May 21 2009, 04:51 PM']Oh hell! The new Trace Elliot 12 band heads are like that too!
I don't quite understand it so much... :)[/quote]

There's nothing unusual about that really. It's no different to using a rack-mount valve pre-amp (Ampeg,Alembic, etc.) and a rack-mount solid-state power amp (QSC, Yamaha, etc).

[quote name='sk8' post='500044' date='May 28 2009, 05:04 PM']Just found out that the Terror bass has a switch on the side to allow 500 watts output at either 4 and 8 ohms.[/quote]

I wonder how they're doing that - lower rail voltage and higher current limiting for 4 ohms? GB and Mesa do something similar for 4/2 ohms on some of their heads so it's certainly possible but require a bespoke power stage.

Alex

[quote name='Kongo' post='500045' date='May 28 2009, 05:06 PM']Omg![/quote]
i know :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='500053' date='May 28 2009, 05:11 PM']I wonder how they're doing that - lower rail voltage and higher current limiting for 4 ohms? GB and Mesa do something similar for 4/2 ohms on some of their heads so it's certainly possible but require a bespoke power stage.

Alex[/quote]Wonder how 500 watts of terror would sound going through a Compact....................

They also hinted that a 1000 watt terror would make an appearance soon ish but he could have been talking rollox :rolleyes:

[quote name='sk8' post='500066' date='May 28 2009, 05:19 PM']i know :)

Wonder how 500 watts of terror would sound going through a Compact....................

They also hinted that a 1000 watt terror would make an appearance soon ish but he could have been talking rollox :rolleyes:[/quote]

Bloody hell...Need a whole lot of life savings for that!

Never been to keen on Orange for bass but I love the sound of my mates Orange Rockerverb for guitar.
And that's £1500 for 50 watts!!! (As a bassist that sounds so weedy lol!)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='500083' date='May 28 2009, 05:34 PM']Agreed, but the Orange idea of watts always 'seems' MUCH louder than you think.

I love all the Orange gear, whether it be Bass or Guitar. Mostly made in UK, nearly all tube gear, awesome colour and style. :)[/quote]

+1

TBH, volume is not all Watts.
From an old forum I was told once that doubling your watts from 300 to 600 only increases volume by 3db...That's nothing!
There's so much more than watts to volume...Tonight I was using an Ampeg SVT-3...not my choice...and it was quieter than my Laney home head!!!
Had to push it so damn hard to get any level...and I tried everything I'd normally do.

Same goes with Peavey...I'm not a great fan but they have some serious volume!!!

[quote name='Kongo' post='500467' date='May 29 2009, 12:18 AM']+1

TBH, volume is not all Watts.
From an old forum I was told once that doubling your watts from 300 to 600 only increases volume by 3db...That's nothing!
There's so much more than watts to volume...Tonight I was using an Ampeg SVT-3...not my choice...and it was quieter than my Laney home head!!!
Had to push it so damn hard to get any level...and I tried everything I'd normally do.

Same goes with Peavey...I'm not a great fan but they have some serious volume!!![/quote]

+1 on the SVT-3....could not get it to sound like it was cutting through without the vol being really high.

Orange amps 'sounds' so loud. It must be just in the design...the cabs and the voicing perhaps? i did a lot of research on the RV heads, and the 100watt version is just insanely loud!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='500481' date='May 29 2009, 12:43 AM']+1 on the SVT-3....could not get it to sound like it was cutting through without the vol being really high.

Orange amps 'sounds' so loud. It must be just in the design...the cabs and the voicing perhaps? i did a lot of research on the RV heads, and the 100watt version is just insanely loud![/quote]

Yeah I had the output at 3/4 way (yikes) and the input no more than 1/2 way as it would clip...and I ran it through my Trace Elliot 1048H cab...the cab was just laughing at how piss weak this "Profession" head was...Turning the volume dial a little bit did nothing...it felt like a trickle!
And these are the amps so many bassists I like use!?
Also the tone I got from either using the graphic or parametric mids was just a fart box smush...My bass sounded like cardboard!
No way of getting clear highs or tight lows or punchy mids...just cardboard!

I spose that's why Orange are so expensive...you don't get as much wattage as with other companies BUT you get the volume and tone.
From the heads I've been using I've gotten used to A LOT of wattage...Like the Markbass SD800...now THAT'S power.
But getting volume from low wattage...Peavey did this with the old amps and I think they still do now (Not tried the Tour Series yet) yet at a low price.

But yeah, high wattage does not mean high volume...it's just an indication of headroom to me. :)

Edited by Kongo

• 2 years later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='500053' date='May 28 2009, 05:11 PM']I wonder how they're doing that - lower rail voltage and higher current limiting for 4 ohms? GB and Mesa do something similar for 4/2 ohms on some of their heads so it's certainly possible but require a bespoke power stage.

Alex[/quote]

Different taps on the output transformer?

ficelles

[quote name='sk8' post='500066' date='May 28 2009, 05:19 PM']They also hinted that a 1000 watt terror would make an appearance soon ish but he could have been talking rollox :)[/quote]
It's real, and already in stores! We've got them at GuitarGuitar.

Unsurprisingly, they are very loud!

As for the original question, the amp has selectable impedance meaning you can get a full 500W out of it at either 4 or 8 Ohms.