Why become a member? ×

My lovely new Stingray...

Machines

I bought an Ibanez Musician MC900 a month or 2 back. This guy messaged me on myspace to offer a trade for a Stingay - I thought he was blagging it at first. The case was that he had a Musician in the 80's but sold it. He's been looking for one for a while to get back that old school sound.

Met him today - thoroughly nice chap and more than happy with the condition of the Ibanez. I snapped his hand off, metaphorically speaking.

Anyone who's seen a Stingray before will notice there's something not quite normal about it. You will notice the pickup has moved towards the neck - this is reversible with a new scratchplate (i'll see how it goes first). First impressions are good - the sound is very rich and snappy, the setup is perfect and it just wants a good slapping. It's a 1996 model with the transition bridge - I'll try and find a mute kit for it.

Great looking bass Machines,

I've got a transitional bridge one myself. Can you still buy the mute kits and if so where from and how much?

That pickup placement does look rather interesting...........

By the way, noticed where you live, do you ever play at the Harvester in Solihull? - one of my fave gigs, fantastic crowd.

Mart.

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='3931' date='May 21 2007, 09:51 PM']Great looking bass Machines,

I've got a transitional bridge one myself. Can you still buy the mute kits and if so where from and how much?

That pickup placement does look rather interesting...........

By the way, noticed where you live, do you ever play at the Harvester in Solihull? - one of my fave gigs, fantastic crowd.

Mart.[/quote]

Harvester is a pub chain ? Which one ?

[quote name='Machines' post='4166' date='May 22 2007, 08:36 AM']Soundclip:

[url="http://www.machinesofhate.myby.co.uk/Stingray.mp3"]http://www.machinesofhate.myby.co.uk/Stingray.mp3[/url][/quote]

Much more P-Bass sounding than the typical Ray but great none the less. It'd be interesting to try and replicate a sliding pickup on a Ray like the old Gibsons used to have.

awww, i'm getting jealouys cos that is exactly what my ray looked like except mine had the mutes on it (and pickup in normal position), truely gorgeous bass, anyone care to swap for a sr500, nah didn't think so.
going to go an reminiss over my old baby, how i miss her so.

you are one lucky git machines :)

[quote name='Machines' post='4162' date='May 22 2007, 08:25 AM']Harvester is a pub chain ? Which one ?[/quote]

Machines,

I talking about 'The Harvester' pub not pubs that are run by the Harvester chain:

Address: Tanhouse Farm Road, Solihull, B92 9EY - www.harvesterlife.com

If you haven't been in, they have some great bands on.....lots of music tastes catered for....great crowd....fantastic place to play........worth a visit

Mart.

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='4333' date='May 22 2007, 01:50 PM']If you haven't been in, they have some great bands on.....lots of music tastes catered for....great crowd....fantastic place to play........worth a visit

Mart.[/quote]

Never been there - I know roughly where it is though.

[quote name='nash' post='4359' date='May 22 2007, 02:11 PM']i onder if you could fit another pup in the original space so you'd have a closely spaced double pup version.[/quote]

I could do - the original routing remains - however I don't think i'd bother :).

Matt, that sounds very good like that, I like it! If you were worried about the ray not cutting through in yer rock band, I think this might be one of those lucky coincidences. That sound should get you noticed in a classic rock group I think!