Why become a member? ×

Something exotic from the Orient

deaver

Recent ebay purchase after a tip off from Bassassin. El Maya EB-2200. Through neck, brass hardware including nut and an object of some beauty. Black binding on neck and body which has taken some bumps and bruises over the years. The bridge is routed into the body which at first I thought was a mod but I now think is original as the body is contoured ('german' carving).

A weighty devil at just over 10lbs and not the best balanced of basses, the two rear straplocks go a little way to countering this. The front straplock has been moved to the back of the neck - it has come off the top horn at some point.

I'm barely qualified to tell you about sound but this packs a fair old punch for sure.

More photos on request for interested parties, I'm afraid the crappy Canon camera doesn't really do this justice.

[attachment=25395:El_Maya_GPF.jpg]
[attachment=25396:El_Maya_GPB.jpg]

Edited by deaver

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='491011' date='May 17 2009, 11:30 PM']That looks fantastic! Congratulations on picking up something a little different from the usual....[/quote]

Cheers. It's definitely something different, I'll try and get some more photos up soon. The credit really has to go to Bassassin for finding this though, it just happened to be near enough to me to collect.

I don't know how long I'll hold on to it, hopefully they'll be a bass bash to bring it to soon - it's well worth a look.

[quote name='deaver' post='491727' date='May 18 2009, 07:00 PM']Cheers. It's definitely something different, I'll try and get some more photos up soon. The credit really has to go to Bassassin for finding this though, it just happened to be near enough to me to collect.

I don't know how long I'll hold on to it, hopefully they'll be a bass bash to bring it to soon - it's well worth a look.[/quote]
That'd be good.. Look forward to it when there's a Bash and if you still have it (which hopefully you will)...

[quote name='mikhay77' post='494761' date='May 21 2009, 11:12 PM']really likin that,is it active?its a really nice shape and looks great build quality,german you say mmmm.[/quote]
Not German, Oriental.
It has got a touch of the Alembics about it. Good score!

[quote name='mikhay77' post='494761' date='May 21 2009, 11:12 PM']really likin that,is it active?its a really nice shape and looks great build quality,german you say mmmm.[/quote]

Passive this one. 'German' refers to the contouring of the body - I'll try and get a photo to show this properly. This one will be up for grabs in a day or two as well.