Why become a member? ×

4 Grand..What Bass??

bubinga5

If I was dropping £4K on a bass (and would happily do so if I had the disposable) I would have to be sure I could get that amount of wedge back out of it. Hardly anyone has THE ONE and two years down the line you might fancy a change. If you have bought wisely then you can change and still enjoy the £4K. If you blow it on something new and bespoke you can wave at the very least 40% of that goodbye. Buy a second hand piece of exotica. Play it for a bit. If you like it keep it. If not put it out here and get your money back and buy something else. The amount of times you will get £4K to drop on a bass in your life can be once or many times - it just depends how you spend it.

Unless you're buying something second hand that is extremely collectable right now as well as a musical instrument, I don't see any way you can make £4k back on a bass in anything other than long term, and even then it's going to be a total lottery. Do you know what's going to be the next Wal?

Keeping an eye on the resale value is for when you spend up to £1500 on a bass. Unless £4k is small change to you then if you're going to spend that much on a bass it needs to be THE ONE, and if you settle for anything less, you will end up moving it on.

If as most other people have said, you take your time, play every bass that comes your way. If you're going to buy an off-the-peg bass make sure you play the actual one you're exchanging money for. If you're going for a custom, go an see your luthier, play as many of their basses as you can, discuss at length what you're after - but don't over-specify let your luthier guide you.

Goof luck and don't forget to tell us all about it!

Why are most of you obsessed with getting maximum reasle value on a bass? It might seem like a lot of money, but £4K isn't that much these days. I guess it's all relative but I know a lot of people who will spend £10K on a car and loose half the value in 2-3 years. Let's say he loses £2K over 4 years on the bass, i.e. he buys at £4K and resells at £2K then the bass has cost him £10 a week. Wow! Maybe I have £4K to spend on a new bass too :0)

[quote name='largo' post='492182' date='May 19 2009, 10:30 AM']Why are most of you obsessed with getting maximum reasle value on a bass? It might seem like a lot of money, but £4K isn't that much these days. I guess it's all relative but I know a lot of people who will spend £10K on a car and loose half the value in 2-3 years. Let's say he loses £2K over 4 years on the bass, i.e. he buys at £4K and resells at £2K then the bass has cost him £10 a week. Wow! Maybe I have £4K to spend on a new bass too :0)[/quote]

In about 7.6 years time roughly at £10 a week :)

[quote name='largo' post='492195' date='May 19 2009, 10:50 AM']My maths must be wrong. £4K - £2K resale = £2K it's cost. £10 week * 52 weeks * 4 years = £2080[/quote]

Ah, you see I went by your end comment of "Wow! Maybe I have £4K to spend on a new bass too :0)" which would be 7.6 years. Now if your going to be a tight arse :) :rolleyes: and only spend £2k then yes 4 years it is but why spend £2k when you can spend £4 :lol: :D ;)

[quote name='largo' post='492182' date='May 19 2009, 10:30 AM']It might seem like a lot of money, but £4K isn't that much these days.[/quote]

4 grand is a massive sum of cash, there is a lot of people at the moment who would kill for that sort of money! I wouldn't care even in the slightest about the resell value if I got a new bass, because I'd want to be able to keep that bass for life, i.e. I would be sure I wasn't being compulsive or anything. Money ain't throwaway ya know :)

iv not read the thread, too long, but il give one piece of advice. Forget that you have 4000 to spend. Dont go out there looking for the most expensive bass out there thinking that it will be the best you can buy, it most likely wont be. I would never even consider spending anything more than a quarter of that money on anything but a custom build by a damned experienced and accredited luthier.

Try basses at the lower end of your budget. Every bass is unique, you may find a bass for £1000 that suits you more than a £4000 custom. Bare that in mind, and good luck!

£4k's a lot of money for an electric bass, but just spare a thought for the orchestral players.

Double basses, violins and pianos are infinitely more expensive. I think we get good value in comparison :)

If you're looking at a custom bass, don't even dream about resale values. Who wants a Sei 7 with LED's and my signature on it. Thought not :rolleyes:

[quote name='7string' post='492676' date='May 19 2009, 08:51 PM']If you're looking at a custom bass, don't even dream about resale values. Who wants a Sei 7 with LED's and my signature on it. Thought not :)[/quote]

Sure I could get Martin to take you signature off and replace it with mine :rolleyes:

[quote name='bubinga5' post='489497' date='May 16 2009, 07:08 AM']By some good fortune, i have 4 grand, and was thinking about spending it on a bass....Was wondering what are the top 5 super jazz basses on the market. or anything else for that money????.i would love to try a Low End jazz...Dont get me started on AC's....Im GASing over a new 5 or 4 string. so whats in my ball park?

tis not a jazz, but I was thinking about a Sukop.. i have heard one and it sounded awsome!!!...I know there mega bucks though..

Im still searching for a bass that ticks all the right boxes..the only one that i really love is the Ostinato...i played it live on thursday and it was sooo good..The tone is awsome when playing gently, but when you dig in through the Aguilar its got the most amazing growl and punchy tone..There was a guy in another band playing the same night, with a HH stingray..and he played the Ostinato and said it was in a different league...

Ive come to the thought that, although i love the passive sound, i dig the well amplified bass..the EMG's are superb on the Ostinato..Any suggestions on a new bass??[/quote]

Check this out.

Hi

Newbie here but this is what I did in about '92

I followed the reviews for Martin Peterson after looking at Ken Smith's, Tobias and the like.

I don't want this to sound like a 1st post spam.... but the quality of the bass he built for me far outstrips anything I have seen..and that includes most in his shop.
Now admittedly I haven't seen many custom bassses of late but am currently looking at a Sadowsky 5 as I have always wanted one

Go to his shop..book an appointment ideally and chat basses and see what else is out there for the money.

Now, if you buy custom and you have a 3 month plus wait...you are taking a leap of faith to a degree... but you get to have every little detail added..choosing the facings, woods and hardware etc...

You really need to see what sort of bass that money can buy...

Personally, I'd look very hard at a full-on custom Sadowsky... but some of the lesser known luthiers might be able to do more for the money...

Edited by JTUK