Why become a member? ×

Peavey Mark IV series Vs Hartke HA3500

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to simplify my equipment and get back to some real basics (no pun intended) in order to get the best tone I can.. To do that, I think that means having:

(i) great sounding bass / basses
(ii) as few pedals as possible
(iii) the right amp/speaker combination

Of course, I realise all of this is totally subjective and dependent on individual taste. budget etc, etc. But here's what's working best for me from the equipment I have:

(i) Lakland DJ5 / Wal Pro2e
(ii) DBX MC6 Compressor ->Zoom B2 1.u (used for tube pre-amp, auto-wah, vol pedal, tuner)
(iii) Old Peavey Mark IV head -> Gallien Kreuger 1x15 (and sometimes, with the GK 2x10 as well depending on the gig).

I've recently eliminated my Boss TU2 and Boss AB2 from the Fx chain, replaced the Trace Elliott compressor with the DBX and changed from a MM Sub 5 to the Lakland, which I used for the first time last Friday and it was absolutely awesome!!

What's driving me mad is that I have a perfectly good Hartke HA3500 which logic tells me I should be using because it's more modern, has tube & solid state pre-amp stages and is probably more robust.. But I much prefer the sound of the Peavey even though it's about 20 years old, is solid state technology, hisses way to much and looks fugly...But it just sounds better. To my ears anyway!

Any one got any thoughts about this to help put my mind at rest - other than to confirm for me that I am completely mad, obsessed with retro gear, stuck in a timewarp, a deaf old git, sad loser etc, etc.. :)

Thanks

Nik

[quote name='paul, the' post='51145' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:56 AM']I love this, efficient gear.

Stick with the Peavey, you know it's the right thing to do.

Although... you could sell both and get something even better :huh:[/quote]
Mmm.. I have thought about getting something better, truth be known! There's so much choice though, it would means hours and hours of searching, testing, fiddling about endlessly with tone controls, pre-amps, different amp/speaker combinations... Could be a real 'pressure', but someone's gotta do it I suppose :)

Seriously though, I've looked around at some amps/combos for sale here; Trace Elliott, GK, Hughes & Kettner and they seem like a possible way forward too, towards that more simple set up.. All the Markbass, Epifani EBS stuff looks great but is too pricey for me at the moment..

Think I'm going to gig the Peavey with the Lakland next weekend to see what that's like and keep an eye on the amps & combos coming up sale.

Cheers

Nik

Just go with what makes you feel good when you're up there playing, Nik. Don't start flogging stuff off just yet though - allow for a re-think!

Truth be told, the punters at the bar are probably hearing a completely different sound anyway. Mind you with that Peavey head, they won't be listening to the sound, they'll be trying to work out why the bass player's brought what looks like a top-loading VHS video recorder with him. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='51221' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:46 AM']Just go with what makes you feel good when you're up there playing, Nik. Don't start flogging stuff off just yet though - allow for a re-think! Truth be told, the punters at the bar are probably hearing a completely different sound anyway.[/quote]
That's good advice!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='51221' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:46 AM']Mind you with that Peavey head, they won't be listening to the sound, they'll be trying to work out why the bass player's brought what looks like a top-loading VHS video recorder with him. :huh:[/quote]
LOL :)

There's no answer to that very perceptive comment, Matt!

Perhaps whilst I'm at it, I could decorate my tiny corner of the stage (well, floor space really) with some Farrah Fawcett-Majors posters circa '78, a copy of a Joe Jackson 7" single and some pictures of Bjorn Borg and Vitus Gueralitus (..late 70's tennis player who inherited his name from a venereal disease) having a couple of bad hair days...or decades!

That'd sort it out nicely - who cares about the sound! :huh: