Why become a member? ×

Public liability insurance

farmer61

I sorted out PLI out yesterday afternoon. I'd spoken with the MU and also with people like Musicguard and, as has been covered in this thread, I was finding it more and more difficult to cover a band rather than an individual which is the case with the MU and the musicguard policies.

I found a company, the name of which I am happy to provide by PM, that covered my band, regardless of who is playing in it at the time (so dep friendly) up to £5M for £180 a year, which I thought was reasonable.

[quote name='tombboy' post='480706' date='May 6 2009, 10:04 AM']If anyone (or more than one) dies in a fire which is proven to have been caused by your faulty equipment then the families of the victims are sure as hell going to want more than £1m in compensation.[/quote]

Ironically, if the victim dies, it would be quite rare for the family to get £1million. I defend personal injury claims for insurers - the big claims are those where relatively young people are left paralysed as a result of an accident. Those claims can be worth several millions, as the claim will cover, for example, the cost of carers for life, loss of earnings, adaptions to property etc.

I'm acutely aware that dodgy equipment could easily cause that sort of injury, and personally think £1million cover is a bit light.

A few years ago we were doing a run of Xmas gigs and the gear was left set up. After we had gone apparently someone was swinging on the lighting pole, pulled it over and it landed on someone. They subsequantly made a claim - for quite a bit. I wasn't directly involved so don't know all the details, but I think the venue had insurance and they covered this but at one point the injured party was making a claim against the owner of the pole and it was serious s%@$t.

We have played there many times since and needless to say they are very keen to see confirmation of PLI in advance - for the whole band.

It's horrifiying and wrong that the owner of a lighting pole can be sued because someone not even authorised to touch, never mind mess around on the pole, caused injury to another person. Surely the 'swinger' is the responsible party.

Yes, we have £5million cover and I wouldn't risk playing without PLI in this day and age. No one takes responsibilty for their own actions and there's always someone else to blame.