Why become a member? ×

diy 5 string

rockpig

here are some pictures I have been taking to document the build of the second bass I have made for myself. Started last august been slow progress job gets in the way too much.
Just thought I'd share and maybe encourage others to have a crack at knocking one up themselves.
the instrument will have a redwood back and front with black walnut body wings and a three piece neck through made of maple and mahogany

[quote name='rockpig' post='479451' date='May 4 2009, 09:54 PM']here are some pictures I have been taking to document the build of the second bass I have made for myself. Started last august been slow progress job gets in the way too much.
Just thought I'd share and maybe encourage others to have a crack at knocking one up themselves.
the instrument will have a redwood back and front with black walnut body wings and a three piece neck through made of maple and mahogany[/quote]

Nice body shape and that headstock looks tasty too. Just a hint of Rickenbacker in the body shape, cant wait to see this one develop.

Looking forward to seeing it finhed too!

I totally know about life getting in the way off bass, Ive been working on mine since last summer too. Do you have a good workshop you can use?

Edited by Mikey R

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update
my workshop is a box room off the lounge of my flat but it's functional.
the bass will be a natural finish probably in nitro celulose lacquer maybe pre cat stuff. french polish would be nice but not really tough enough.
I a gree there are ricky elements in the shape and I was stealing from spector in treble horn. the lower bout is kind of jazz bass really and the top horn is sort of ricky meets modulus. extends a long way for balance.

[quote name='rockpig' post='491895' date='May 18 2009, 09:47 PM']Quick update
my workshop is a box room off the lounge of my flat but it's functional.
the bass will be a natural finish probably in nitro celulose lacquer maybe pre cat stuff. french polish would be nice but not really tough enough.
I a gree there are ricky elements in the shape and I was stealing from spector in treble horn. the lower bout is kind of jazz bass really and the top horn is sort of ricky meets modulus. extends a long way for balance.[/quote]

I really like that shape :rolleyes: Thing is, if you want it to look like a bass, then there will always be elements of other basses in the design. Nuffin wrong with that! :)

High gloss or satin? If satin, have you also considered an oil or rattle can finish? Oil looks like its going be less messy. Ive even found a water based oil finish (!) for worktops Im going to try, I think its either from Rustins or Liberon or someone similar.

• 5 weeks later...

latest update and some more pictures.
Having recently spoken to a luthier about brushable waterborne lacquer I think I will try one of these in a gloss finish. also just finished an acoustic guitar in a similar lacquer sprayed on over french polish undercoats. the results were pretty good so brushed on lacquer over the polish is going to be hard work but achievable at home without poisoning myself with nitro spray can fumes.
Anyway; important bits, the pictures, these show the body wings going on, with a contrasting veneer of maple between the front and wings. the last pic shows the fingerboard blank placed on top just as a teaser.

• 3 months later...

another update work and holiday have got in the way and have only had time to get abck into this over the last 2 weeks. so here is the progress since last time. fingerboard of macassar ebony bound with the offcuts from tapering it. with a contrasting maple veneer. Back plate of redwood to match the top glued on and the edge radiusing and body shaping started. next fingerboard on and finishing.

I've been thinking about the circuit for this instrument and am currently chasing up martin sims to see if I can get hold of one of the preamps from his enfield basses. Also I am thinking about using Q tuner pick ups. Any feed back that could be offered on either would be appreciated

here we go with another update months of inactivity then plenty of spare time and look what happens. fingerboard went on today, now the neck shape needs to be carved and then fretted. got some stainless steel fret wire from LMI so will give that a go.[attachment=34203:DSC00617.JPG]

Edited by rockpig