Why become a member? ×

Is this for real ?

Dusty

I like the look of this, but something just dont seem right, not helped by a feedback of 1 and a very vauge location !
Please let me have your opinions.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190114971356&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]

Thanks,

Dusty

Seems genuine, the seller only has one feedback but it's positive and from someone who has bid on numerous items before. The serial number is also kosher for that year of production. If you're wary of bidding, I'd send the seller the email and ask him which part of the UK he lives in, and then maybe you could arrange a pickup and cash on collection?

The seller's previous deal has the words will deliver between 'Chriastchurch anmd Dunedin'.

Strange, CK can confirm but both Christchurch and Dunedin are I believe in South Island New Zealand, not in the UK?

Sign of dodgy copied sale details?

To validate if an auction is geniune or not on ebay all you need to do is ask if you can collect, if you can then what've you got to loose?

It's not like you'll give your money away if there isn't a bass, and if there is then score!

Christchurch and Dunedin are in NZ yes, which does make it a little suspect.

But if he says you can collect from X (uk town/city) then all you're risking is a journey.

Edited by Spikyhedgehog

[quote]You should never buy from someone stupid enough not to get some feedback before selling a Fender.[/quote]

You're judging this guy as stupid? Do you know him?

(I do suspect that this particular seller is very iffy though)

But it'd be fine to sell an Ibanez or a Yamaha without feedback then :)

Personally I disagree. There are other ways of reinforcing your honesty (and not being stupid) without generating feedback specifically to 'sell a Fender'. Everyone has to start off on eBay sometime and if it's selling a Fender then why not.

Nothing against Fenders (That a Lakland wouldn't firmly put in it's place) of course.

:huh:

Edited by GreeneKing

'Stupid' may have been a little strong, and 'Fender' was the relevant (and consistent) example.

I'm just saying that;

If this guy is genuine, to sell a Fender with 1 feedback isn't a clever thing to do (and, yes in my opinion, stupid). If he's after money to buy a different bass or for anything, he's not going to get it!

I don't think anyone in their right mind would create an honest listing in this situation. It looks like an obvious hoax to me.

Paul.

Well if he says that cash on collection is fine, there's no reason for anyone to get riled up over this. It's a little harsh to label the seller as a scammer at the moment but I can see why people might think that the auction is a little suspect though.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='3987' date='May 21 2007, 10:52 PM']I still don't entirely agree with you train of thought my man, but I am obviously Mr Grumpy tonight too :)[/quote]

I'm sorry, I'm usually a kitten.

I just don't like the thought of a scammers.

The second I sense injustice to musicians on me whiskers, the claws fly.

Edited by paul, the

I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. If you look at his previous sale, the buyer is in the United States (for a kiddies bike??) and HE only has 77.8% positive feedback. Twice he didnt pay for the goods, and 4 of his sellers are no longer registered with Ebay! I think they may both be in on a scam... :huh:

Also there appears to be no reserve price and for a real fender you would expect it to have one (they start at £50 upwards).

Finally, I have checked the geography too - there is no place called Dunedin in the UK. The seller is registered in the UK.

Bad move all round! :)

[quote name='Quantum Sheep' post='4181' date='May 22 2007, 10:11 AM']I've never really got ebay as it seems too hard to start. Seems like if you have no feedback it's impossible to even get started selling stuff![/quote]

You have to get a feedback of 10 for some people to you seriously. I have have bought and sold off there and if you follow common sense your fine. I started off buy buying some cheaper items off there, the last thing I bought was a set of bass strings. With paypal you all so have to get verification eventually. Its time consuming but easy to do.

Just my 2p worth.

I wouldn't bid and pay by bank transfer for this item, 'period'.

It doesn't look great looked at as an outsider, especially if his previous sale of a bike went to someone in another country. However the guy could have made a spelling mistake with his destinations and people can be registered in other countries yet living/working in the UK.

All in all not even worth considering unless you get the confirmation that you can collect and pay cash. I would add that I wouldn't go and buy/pay on my lonesome! Take a mate (or two) you just never know.

I've seen people whose 1st item on eBay has been an expensive bass. When they have ackowledged this and offered collection and cash as an option I would have no qualms bidding. I had one bass that was looking a little dodgy and the seller had v low feedback. I asked the seller to photograph a copy of that days newspaper with the bass. I'm now the very chuffed owner of that Iceni Zoot :)

I think this particular guy stinks. I've very little doubt that his previous sale does specify collection between Christchurch and Dunedin, in NZ. Fairly obviously cut and pasted from somewhere else.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Quantum Sheep' post='4181' date='May 22 2007, 10:11 AM']I've never really got ebay as it seems too hard to start. Seems like if you have no feedback it's impossible to even get started selling stuff![/quote]

The easiest thing to do is to get feedback for buying first. I waited until I had about 30 before finally getting started on the selling trail.

Traditionally, you start on eBay with a garage clearance (or shed / loft / whatever). It's educational and entertaining ... stuff you think will fetch £20 goes for 99p and - you guessed it - stuff you think will fetch 99p goes for £20.

By the time you've disposed of all your [i]mathoms[/i] (that's a cultural reference) you'll have a decent feedback rating and a much better understanding of how the whole eBay thing works. You probably WON'T have made any money, mind.

From a musician's point of view (and I'm having to guess a bit here, seeing as I can hardly make that claim) it's really very difficult to beat eBay. In the last 18 months I haven't found ANYTHING that I couldn't find & buy cheaper and with less hassle on eBay than down the shops, and I work 100 yards from Denmark Street in London W1. The one thing you'll struggle with is 'try before you buy'.

The feedback system is sheer genius. Anyone who has studied economics will recognise eBay as the closest mankind has got to a Perfect Market.