Why become a member? ×

I'm off to NZ.

Kiwi

[quote name='Wooks' post='476806' date='May 1 2009, 10:55 AM']All the best with the move mate. I'm getting stressed about having to move 3 miles down the road on tuesday, so can't imagine how you're feeling with a move half way round the world :)
I hope it all works out for you and that your new life prooves to be a great success.[/quote]

Given the choice of moving 3 miles down the road or to NZ, I know what my choice would be! And that's not just cos I live in Barnsley (although that's got a lot to do with it! Sorry Barnsley).

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='476768' date='May 1 2009, 10:21 AM']I've made references to it in some of my posts recently but for any of you who weren't aware, I'm emigrating to NZ in a few weeks.

The reasons are 100% economic and to fall back on the support of family while I get my career in urban regeneration back on a stable footing. After being made redundant three times because of a lack of projects, it seems to me that even if I do snag another job in the UK, there's nothing preventing the same thing from happening a fourth time. I also needed to make the decision to emigrate while I could still afford it.

I really don't want to leave the UK but well placed contacts I have in the property development sector are also telling me there's going to be a load more pain to go through in the commercial property market yet before things get better. So it looks like more people in my profession are going to be made redundant as cash and credit reserves are exhausted by developers and commissions continue to dry up. (Just so I don't appear to be a purveyor of doom and gloom, I think other sectors like service industries and manufacturing are going to pick up sooner because they're less reliant on credit). But the short story is that I'm probably looking at years rather than months before things get better.

So what this means is [u]I'll still be on Basschat[/u] but I'll be 12 hours ahead of the UK. It also means I won't be able to respond quickly to PM's or situations if they occur during the middle of the day (while NZ is asleep) and obviously I won't be able to physically attend any more Bassbashes unless I happen to be in the UK on holiday or something when one is on.

Maybe when the banks lose some of their arrogance and recognise first time buyers as a valuable market once again, then things will look a load more positive for everyone.

Anyways, just wanted to let you all know about that just in case any of you need a quick response on anything at some point in the future.[/quote]

All the best. Hope it all works out for yer. And when you get there, ask around to see if they need any gas/central heating engineers/plumbers. I'd move in a flash. Gotta be better than this overpriced, cold, wet, crime addled s***t hole.

For some odd reason whenever I see the title of this thread a certain tune starts off in my head:

"I'm off to see the wizard..."

I've no idea why considering the title is NZ and not OZ :/

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='483491' date='May 9 2009, 12:58 AM']For some odd reason whenever I see the title of this thread a certain tune starts off in my head:

"I'm off to see the wizard..."

I've no idea why considering the title is NZ and not OZ :/[/quote]
By association? Its OK, I do it too. :)

[quote name='foal30' post='483580' date='May 9 2009, 09:44 AM']Christchurch used to have it's very own Wizard who had printed a map of the world which looked a lot like the one shown in this thread[/quote]
Funny that, it might even be the same map too!

[quote name='OldGit' post='484857' date='May 11 2009, 10:13 AM']Have fun, Steve.
Things always work out for the best.[/quote]
Thanks Si

Hey Steve

Been meaning to add a reply to this to say I completely understand and wish you all the very best, you'll be missed, but there's nothing like broadening your horizons and if that means relocating, as opposed to finding what you need closer to home... then so be it. You still own some of the nicest looking and sounding basses I've ever seen and shall alway be a true arbiter of taste, if you're planning a leaving drinks session, or just fancy a pint before you go drop me a line, I've always enjoyed our conversations... take care and keep it on the down low...

Cheers matey

Mike

All the best Steve. I have been looking into it myself as a possibility in a year or two. Property is a steal over there compared to Blighty and I can draw a private pension in 3 years so all I need to do now is get Picobass off the ground as a viable business and I may see you over there in a few years.
Are you going to Wellington ?

Hi Brummie - Ped's already offered but they're all coming with me. (I'm dreading the container contents shift around or get flooded with seawater). Thanks for your wishes though.

Hi Urb - I'll drop you a PM

Prose - not sure where I'll end up at the moment. I'm going to Christchurch in the first instance, where my family are and taking a view on things. The inside money says I'll most likely end up in Auckland (which is no bad thing) but need to do some face to face meetings with prospective employers first.

Steve,

All the very best with the move. Good luck for the future in NZ and keep us all posted on progress on the otherside of the world. Sorry we never got a chance to meet up.

All the best,

Kev (aka JPJ)

thanks Kev, Mert. I'll still be online, just not showing up to any events. :-) The packers are here now and I'm not sure when I will next have a chance to post something on this thread so thanks again to everyone who wished me well. Hopefully I'll be back in the UK at some point in the future when things pick up economically again.

[quote name='foal30' post='492909' date='May 20 2009, 03:27 AM']I'll put the kettle on then
if ya late ya suppers in the microwave
don't forget to turn the outside light off.

how many Christchurch BC'ers?[/quote]

and don't forget to put the cat out

I managed to get online at the hotel last night. :rolleyes: I spent most of yesterday cleaning and watching the packers wrap up all the instruments, amps, speakers and racks up in foam plastic sheeting and get loaded onto two massive paletted crates. I won't see them again for 2-3 months. That's gonna be hard. But at least they're all solidly packed and I don't think they're likely to move about in transit. However I have the Shuker and the AX100 in the bass safe and with the laptop, it should be enough to keep me amused.

[quote name='foal30' post='492909' date='May 20 2009, 03:27 AM']I'll put the kettle on then
if ya late ya suppers in the microwave
don't forget to turn the outside light off.

how many Christchurch BC'ers?[/quote]
Thanks Foal. For a moment I read supper as slippers :). Just you and me now but who knows, it might change if I start putting the word around. Next time you're at CJ's drop me a line and maybe we can meet up.

[quote name='Platypus' post='492915' date='May 20 2009, 06:30 AM']and don't forget to put the cat out[/quote]
Ether or sharp left hook? :D

[quote name='Hamster' post='492917' date='May 20 2009, 06:45 AM']Have a safe trip Steve - sorry I can't make the vodka party this afternoon - wishing you .........[/quote]
Yesh yesh Colin it no problems and yakshemash to you anyways. :lol:

May I be the first to say I hope you had a good journey and that the weather's nice in NZ? :)

Like I said on the phone, I'm gonna miss ya and I hope it all works out well. I'll fax you that beer later. :rolleyes: