Why become a member? ×

RIP John Giblin :(

toneknob

Just seen this sad news on the Osibisa facebook page, with whom JG was recording recently. Haven't had chance to count the ways this guy's playing has touched my listening habits over the years, think it'll take a while to sink in.

"R.I.P. John Giblin - 26th February 1952 to 14th May 2023
John passed away yesterday in Cheltenham after battling illness.
Bass guitarist, double bass player, arranger and all round session musician extraordinaire.
Born to a musical family in Bellshill, Scotland he started his interest in music from a young age, playing with various rock and pop bands in his teens and progressing from there.
In 1970 he answered an advertisement for a bass player and after passing the audition moved to Manchester to work.  Within a few months he had moved to London and became a member of the Latin American band Gonzalez.
His immense performing ability was noticed early on and he was soon touring and recording with Peter Gabriel as well as Kate Bush, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and Annie Lennox to name a few.
He became the bassist, often using fretless bass, for the band Simple Minds where he replaced Derek Forbes and performed with the band on three albums before returning to his former passion as a studio studio musician.
During his career he worked with countless artists and groups, covering a wide range of musical genres.  Including Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Eric Clapton,  Paul McCartney, Donovan, Judie Tzuke, Fish, Manfred Mann’s Earthband, Jon Anderson, Roberta Flack, Mark Knopfler, George Martin, David Sylvian, Sting, Wendell Richardson, Joan Armatrading, David Arnold, Richard Ashcroft, Asia, Big Dish, Colin Blunstone, Brand X, Elkie Brooks, Duncan Browne, Sarah Brightman, Chris De Burgh, Brian Eno, Exile, Roberta Flack, Al Green, Steve Harley, Natalie Imbruglia, David Knopfler, KD Lang, The Psychedelic Furs, Ralph McTell, Gerry Rafferty, Tanita Tikaram and Scott Walker among many others.
His recording output was expansive a selection of his albums consists of Song of Seven by Jon Anderson, Red Cab To Manhattan by Stephen Bishop, Never For Ever by Kate Bush, Face Value by Phil Collins, EB 84 by The Everly Brothers, Vigil In a Wilderness of Mirrors by Fish, Peter Gabriel (3) by Peter Gabriel, Criminal Tango by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Classics by John Martyn, Crocodile Shoes by Jimmy Nail, On Air by Alan Parsons, Back Against the Wall by Pink Floyd, Once Upon a Time by Simple Minds, Again by Alan Stivell, Ritmo by Judie Tzuke, as well as the film soundtracks of rhe James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies and Ratz. He also worked on the single ‘Grow Old With Me’ by John Lennon.
His most recent studio adventures involved ongoing recordings for a two album project with Osibisa guitarist Wendell Richardson as well as a John Martyn tribute.
Fellow musicians, family, friends, fans and the studio world in general have lost a truly amazing human being and musician who has certainly left a deep musical legacy and a beautiful imprint for everyone he was involved with.
R.I.P. John, it was a pleasure and a privilege to work with you and we are all going to miss you.
There really is a hole in the world with John’s passing.
Author: Robert M Corich"

• Like 2
  • Sad 25

Geez, absolutely huge influence on me so incredibly sad to read this. I knew him mostly through Simple Minds and felt he very successfully filled Derek Forbes shoes, not by playing like him but by bringing his own incredible style to keep the bass a driving force and key part of Simple Minds sound. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched the Simple Minds live in Rotterdam video just to watch his playing. I later discovered what other artists he played with and was even more blown away by his playing.

R.I.P John and thank you for being a huge influence on my own playing.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SamPlaysBass said:

John’s playing on Grace and Danger by John Martyn is some of my favourite bass playing ever. Rest in Peace, John. 

Effortless fretless with the most wonderful, expressive playing. 

Great album with some really well chosen (fretless) bass parts.

Edited by ead
  • Like 2

A name from the days of listening while reading sleeve notes 

i started playing in 79,with a pick ,strangling a little amp to punk songs 

i can remember hearing Breathing and not having a clue what i was actually listening to .A great steep learning curve followed 

Great great player 

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear of his passing. One of my earliest bass heroes. I was lucky to meet him when he toured with Jon Anderson, a true gentleman, and so humble. Also delighted when he played the Before The Dawn shows, so I saw him again twice. I was always amazed by that sound he got from his fretless Wal!!! Off to listen to Grace and Danger by John Martyn, then some Kate Bush and Brand X. Gone but never to be forgotten. Thanks for the music, John!

• Like 2

Properly upset by this. For me he was the definitive voice of modern fretless bass; his work with Brand X, Kate Bush, Judie Tzuke, John Martyn and so many others moulded my own approach to the fretless instrument in a big way. For many people, Jaco was the ultimate fretless master; for me, it was this guy. Check out the mid part of this song, beginning at 2:22, and you'll see what I mean. Those fills give me goosebumps.
Rest in peace, maestro.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

John, man. I learned a lot from him for sure. What a player to discover when I first started playing in ‘86. All those after schools and weekends trying to cut those lines! Between him and Colin Moulding - the stamina building super teachers of all time - in a year or so I could teach myself to play just about anything I wanted. I’ll never forget when he broke a string during the Nelson Mandela concert - I just remember jumping out of my seat yelling “he’s killing it!”. John Giblin. What a hero.

• Like 1