Why become a member? ×

Dick Nolan (It Bites) - What's he doing now?

iamthewalrus

Hi all,
Have had a couple of "It Bites" albums on in the car the last couple of days ("Once Around the World" & "Eat Me in St. Louis"), & have really enjoyed listening to Dick Nolan's bass playing.

I remember seeing a TV recording of the band in London in the early 90's, which was around about the time the band split. I know the band have reformed minus Frank Dunnery & Dick Nolan, but just wondered if anyone knows what Mr. Nolan's doing now?

Floor is open to the Prog Rockers....

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='475618' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:51 PM']There's a thread about one aspect of this on Statii.com at the moment. Nathan King (guitarist from Level 42 & brother of Mark) is playing bass for them at the moment on tour.[/quote]
Thought it was [url="http://www.itbites.com/leepomeroy.html"]Lee Pomeroy[/url] with his bizarre left handed upside down playing style? Still says so on the current site.

Oops! hang on I mised the [url="http://www.itbites.com/news.html"]News page[/url] - forget that!

Love the new album, where all the bass was John Mitchell or John Beck I believe

Lee's probably got work to do with Take That - I believe they're tracking their new album at the moment, and that is his bread-and-butter gig.

Lucky bastard... I knew him when he used to work in Rockbottom in Croydon! :)

Buried somewhere on the It Bites website was news that he couldn't commit to the project so he left/was sacked. He was supposed to have been playing with Ray Davies/Kinks, but I think that stalled as well.

I remember reading a thread on the It Bites forum along the lines of 'What is Dick going to do now?'. I mean, WGAF? He's done OK during the hiatus years. He's not gonna go hungry.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='476195' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:14 PM']He was supposed to have been playing with Ray Davies/Kinks, but I think that stalled as well.[/quote]
I do remember seeing him playing with Ray Davies on the Electric Proms shows last year. So don't know whether it's gone down the pan after that.

The new(ish) bloke covering Dunnery's parts is not bad actually both guitar wise and vocally without it being an impersonation. I do remember seeing the original line up on their farewell tour and they were an incredibly tight outfit.

[quote name='KevB' post='477099' date='May 1 2009, 03:26 PM']The new(ish) bloke covering Dunnery's parts is not bad actually both guitar wise and vocally without it being an impersonation. I do remember seeing the original line up on their farewell tour and they were an incredibly tight outfit.[/quote]

Have you heard him on the Frost albums at all? John Jowitt (IQ) is on bass on these albums and does a sterling job but the tracks are what sells Frost for me, stunning songs (if you like prog/widdly widdly) :-)

Graeme

Dick was working with the Alan Parsons Project a couple of years ago - not sure as to what hes up to right now! I gigged his old blue Zon Legacy some years ago with a view to purchasing it (was on sale at the Bass Centre in Birmingham) but didn't get on with it!

A good mate of mine had Frank Dunnery perform in his front room a couple of summers ago - what a player!! Massive bloke now - very interesting night - lots of stories about when he was young etc. It Bites were incredible - they played here in Peterborough once in '87 but only 54 people turned up....typical of this town!

Saw the Bites support Robert Plant at Sheffield City Hall,,, an was really impressed,,,, 88?

Wherever he is wish him well,,, did hear through a fan he was involved still with Ray Davies...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='478594' date='May 3 2009, 09:52 PM']A good mate of mine had Frank Dunnery perform in his front room a couple of summers ago - what a player!! Massive bloke now - very interesting night - lots of stories about when he was young etc.[/quote]
Yeah, a mate of mine went to one of those too at his mate's house.

I saw Frank at The Band On The Wall in Manchester a few years ago, and sat on the dance floor pretty much right underneath him with my legs under the stage!!

I've now been to a few of his house gigs and they are fantastic! His current one (Tall Blonde Helicopter) is great, talking about lots of stuff - needs to be heard/not wanting to become *spoiler* etc :-)

I recently did a recording session with him in Oswestry. He's producing my mate's album, John Gilmour Smith which'll be released through his Aquarian Nation label.
Dunnery is a truly insirational musician and his expertise in the studio was incredible, the stuff he can do with a guitar/keyboard/mixing desk....truly great experience.

Graeme

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

All good. I've seen It Bites at Bush Hall twice in 2 years. The first time with Pomeroy on bass who hadn't played on that album. The second time with King on bass, however, Pomeroy had played on that album.

I also saw Dunnery at Bush Hall (last year?) very impressed. Looking forward to the tribute album. Is Nigel is playing on it?

• 1 year later...

Is this Dick Nolan's bass?

Over the years, I'd heard rumours that his Zon Legacy Elite bass had been offered for sale at the Bass Centre, Wapping.
I bought my Zon from the Bass Centre in Wapping in 1994.
Funny thing was, I'd gone to buy a Fender Precision, but saw this instead, and concluded it was a unique and colour bass and played very well - I'd never heard of Zon.

If someone could shed light, that would be very good.

Thanks
Clive

Don't know, but I did an audition with the Drummer ...for some reason they decided to pair me with him to get through
the bass and drum players for a 'Blues Brothers show. We did about 3 songs.
I didn't know their stuff but had heard of them...and he didn't know any RB/BB stuff.

'We' didn't get it :lol: :lol:

They definitely did have one of Dick Nolan's Zon basses for sale at the Bass Center , but that will have been back around 1990, if I recall correctly, and that shop had the most impressive turn-around of stock I have ever seen in any music shop. You would go in there one day and marvel at all the beautiful basses and then when you went in again a couple of weeks later they had all been sold and new ones had taken their place. In light of that, it would seem unlikely Dick's Zon would be hanging around the shop for four years, but I suppose there is always the chance that the bass found its' way back there at a later date .

I have got some very vague recollection that the Zon of Dick's that they had a Wapping was actually a Legacy Standard or something similar , maybe the one pickup model, rather than a full-spec Legacy Elite. I could be[u] totally [/u]wrong about that - I'm getting to be the age where my memory can play tricks on me- but it rings a bell somewhere.

• 8 months later...

Dick's Zon was the two pickup Legacy Elite and was either midnight blue or black so not the example on here. It also had a Hipshot on the E for Kiss Like Judas and a couple of other songs. He switched to a P-bass special years ago and in interview said he still had the Zon knocking around.
And the Tall Ships album was rubbish - It Bites lite!

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1419313166' post='2638605']
And the Tall Ships album was rubbish - It Bites lite!
[/quote]

Can't agree with that! If you mean The Tall Ships was more pop than rock then I would agree to an extent but old It Bites stuff is sprinkled with pop such as 'hunting the Whale' from Eat me in St. Louis'.

TTS contains great songwriting, playing and production and John Mitchell's guitar playing is awesome.

Stevie