Why become a member? ×

My solo bass youtube videos

Captain Bass

Nice playing- very clean.
I like your legato passages too.

I didn't have a prob hearing the timing but I know where The Funk was coming from in that I am the same when listening to unaccompanied jazz improv- if I can't hear the changes it doesn't mean as much.

I remember the first time I heard the changes to Donna Lee- it was like "Aaah, now I get it"

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah- nice one!

Some nice vids there, really enjoyed them both! I'm a huge fan of solo bass playing and it's always great to see it done well!

Stu

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='475006' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:04 PM']Hi guys,

I have been meaning to do some videos for a while of me playing some of my own compositions on bass.
I try and combine different techniques and at the same time I try to keep things musical!

I hope you guys dig them,

My first youtube bass vid -

Tom Thumb" Live -

Here is an MP3 (3.18MB) of "Tom Thumb" I recorded and produced myself :-)
I have uploaded it onto Rapidshare so every one can share it
I have also attached it to this Topic.

[attachment=24531:TOM_THUMB.mp3]
[url="http://rapidshare.com/files/227114220/TOM_THUMB.mp3"]http://rapidshare.com/files/227114220/TOM_THUMB.mp3[/url]

Feel free to share the link/mp3 around.

Kind Regards,
Andy

p.s. Cheers to 'urb' for showing me how to embed youtube vids :)[/quote]

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='476787' date='May 1 2009, 10:39 AM']I particularly love Alain Caron for his composition, especially in that song 'Slam The Clown', do you know where you can get any acurate tab/sheet music for that song?[/quote]

Funnily enough, I've been really getting into this song recently and just started learning it - Caron's slap technique is tough to pull off accurately though, gonna be a few weeks in the woodshed yet with this one!

You can find a transcription of the 'head' of Slam The Clown in Bass Player, June 1996 issue - transcribed by Caron himself, with all the left and right hand fingerings - very tough line to play. There's also a playalong book and CD for the album Rhythm n Jazz. I ordered a copy from Amazon a few weeks ago but it's not shown up yet.

Hope some of that helps...

Stu

Very nice playing there! Great tone too... May I ask how you made the video? I assume you recorded the bass direct in the computer and then synchronised the soundtrack to the video? Any idea how to do that?

[quote name='ari' post='486861' date='May 13 2009, 12:54 PM']Very nice playing there! Great tone too... May I ask how you made the video? I assume you recorded the bass direct in the computer and then synchronised the soundtrack to the video? Any idea how to do that?[/quote]

Thanks, I have a LINE IN on my camera which is connected to the LINE OUT on my POD XT PRO. The camera records via a small mic at the same time - which I cant figure how to turn off so I can just use the Line In.

[quote name='Platypus' post='496732' date='May 24 2009, 06:15 PM']Enjoyed the videos - nice playing.

From the other Pinner based Basschatter![/quote]
Cheers Platypus,
However!
You are soon to be the only Pinner based Basschatter,
As of wednesday next week I shall be moving to Carpenters Park in Watford :) :rolleyes: :lol:

id love to have a bash at learning some of those riffs,but,dont think id be able to pop and slap as fast as you,my technique isnt as advanced

i like the way you do the funky beats way up the neck and mix it with tap ons and add some chords in there to,sounds really nice,how long it take you to write them 2 solos?

[quote name='valentine' post='496952' date='May 24 2009, 11:53 PM']id love to have a bash at learning some of those riffs,but,dont think id be able to pop and slap as fast as you,my technique isnt as advanced

i like the way you do the funky beats way up the neck and mix it with tap ons and add some chords in there to,sounds really nice,how long it take you to write them 2 solos?[/quote]

A lot of these ideas stem from older ideas where I have been developing different techniques.
I have always been interested in developing faster transitions between techniques, especially with slapping to tapping.
I have tried to represent this in the first video and at the same time tried to keep the piece interesting and musical.

The second video (Tom Thumb) was more of a developement of my palm muting technique. Rather than obtaining a palm mute from slapping my left palm onto all strings, i isolate the E string for all the palm muting, allowing the notes and harmonics on the A,D,G,C to ring out. I also wanted to develope an interesting rythm to accompany the piece with the palm mute.

I have now put up a new video on this thread which is Tom Thumb with Drums. The drums make the rythms im playing more obvious, especially with the palm mute in the verse part.

Cheers,
Andy

• 1 month later...

Tis awesome! Can't believe I've only just come across all this! Great stuff - and for once I can actually understand melodically what slapping is all about. Really melodic stuff, and it feels like it's been structured rather than just some kid hitting all the notes in a minor pentatonic with a I IV V IV chord sequence!