Why become a member? ×

behringer combos

Geek99

I think they are pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to bass amps. Quality is not the best and they are quite keen on exaggerating their power ratings and ripping off other manufacturers designs.

If it's a 410 takes your fancy save up a bit more cash and get one of these:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-MAG-C410-T-300---Mag-EVO-II~ID~3073.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...-II~ID~3073.asp[/url]

Their electronics are hit and miss in terms of performance depending on who they've ripped the design off from and how well they've copied it. Their loudspeakers are shockingly poor in every respect.

Get an old Peavey or something instead, it'll sound better, last way longer and won't depreciate.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474778' date='Apr 29 2009, 08:42 AM']Their electronics are hit and miss in terms of performance depending on who they've ripped the design off from and how well they've copied it. Their loudspeakers are shockingly poor in every respect.

Get an old Peavey or something instead, it'll sound better, last way longer and won't depreciate.

Alex[/quote]

I have a Behringer 2 x 10" ontop of my Peavey combo. Would you say that I would be shockingly better off with a different extension cab?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='475306' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:44 PM']If it's working for you then it's working. But if you get the chance to offload it for a decent price before it stops working then I'd do so!

Alex[/quote]

I'm not worried about it breaking, i'm just wondering about the sound of it. To my ears, it's getting miles more out of the peavey than when it's on it's own. Is there another extension cab in the same price range that would suit the peavey even more? Or "get more out of it"? Basically just make the amp louder.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='476837' date='May 1 2009, 11:22 AM']I'm not worried about it breaking, i'm just wondering about the sound of it. To my ears, it's getting miles more out of the peavey than when it's on it's own. Is there another extension cab in the same price range that would suit the peavey even more? Or "get more out of it"? Basically just make the amp louder.[/quote]

If I were you I'd be worried about it breaking. Behringer have a habit of being overly generous with their wattage handling claims, so chances are that, depending on how powerful your Peavey combo is, you're slowly destroying the weedy speakers in the cab.

For a bit more you could get yourself an Ashdown deep 210 cab with inbuilt tweeter. Way better, and will handle what it claims to.

It's built extremely well, weighs a lot, has been chucked around a lot and has withstood it. I've no idea what the impedence rating is, let alone what they claim is the ouput power. If we were going to blow the speakers, surely we'd have blown them by now? It's been gigged at loud volumes.

I don't think the issue with them was the power handling per se but just the lack of durability and reliability, particularly the aluminium coned models. If you've given a good going over and it hasn't failed yet then maybe you've got one where all the glue joints are good etc. Adding a similar extension cab almost always makes a huge difference - typically increased sensitivity by 3dB where it matters and doubling the excursion limited power handling, so giving you up to another 6dB output in total. Figure in the weirdness of the human ear and that extra 6dB in the lows can sound like as much as 10dB which is twice as loud.

Alex

I have a Behringer desk for my PA, and its ok, though nowhere near as loud as its "1200w" would suggest (that could just be my inefficient speakers though) I have only used one of their bass amps once, in a rehearsal studio, and its the only amp thats ever made my precision sound crap!

Our church has a Ultrabass combo as its "in house" bass amp.
I had never used it until I couldn't find my cables on Monday night (house move) for my Markbass rig.... so I just plugged my bass into the behringer combo....I nearly vomited!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='475280' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:14 PM']I have a Behringer 2 x 10" ontop of my Peavey combo. Would you say that I would be shockingly better off with a different extension cab?[/quote]

Head straight for an [b]Ashdown Mag 2x10 [/b]or [b]1x15[/b] cab IMHO.

Cheap as chips, built like tanks and correspondingly heavy, but should do the trick admirably. :rolleyes: :)