Why become a member? ×

Old Newbie

pantherairsoft

Hi People,

New to the forum.

I'm Shep. I had been playing bass for 8 years solid, got through a huge range of gear and had an album out on 2001, but I'll keep the band to myself to avoid any insults and negative feedback (:-)). Main usage was Warwick Basses and Ampeg amps.

I retired from bass playing at the end of 2007 and have not picked up a bass since. I think the time away has done me some good and left me with my creativity bubbling! I am now seriously considering picking one up again.

I'm sure much has changed since I left the scene... but its like riding a bike isn't it :-)?

Considering going for one of the few basses I have used but not owned, either a Stingray (everyone has to own one at Some point!?), Warwick Thumb BO (Used to play a streamer quite a bit and always fancied the thumb) or a Wal if I can lay my hands on a pretty one.

Hope to speak to people going forwards,

Shep

• Like 1

Well... my attempt to slowly slip back into bass playing on the cheap just isnt happening. I have clearly become obsessed with the gear again and just when i decide on what I'm going for, something else pretty and even more costly comes along!!! Brill :-)

[quote]something else pretty and even more costly comes along!!![/quote]

Come to the dark side Luke, come to the cheap trashy but fun side
I once thought that my poor playing was because I didnt have a decent bass, then I realised that it was a lack of talent that was holding me back :)
Now I just have fun with whatever four string monstrosity is lying around, to quote a (nearly) famous comedian 'Its just a ride' so get something cheap and bash the hell out of it !

[quote]Bill Hicks was more than Nearly Famous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

We will agree to disagree on this one, I adored the man but when he died he was on the brink of famousness. Do a straw poll amongst Joe public and I bet more have heard of Denis Leary (ackkk thpppttt !!!)

Oh and welcome to Basschat :)

[quote]But his talent you can't dispute![/quote]

Never, I'm a huge Hicks fan and I believe he was one of the greatest comedians ever. He spoke the truth as he saw it (and I agreed with it 90% of the time) and was one the most honest people of recent years. Nope, you wont find me dissing Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to convey my gratitude to everyone on the forum that I have thus far come in contact with. I am a member of a few forums for various parts of life and I can honestly say that I have not experienced a community as close and supportive as this one.

Putting down the bass 18 months ago was the hardest thing I ever did, and I fully believe that without the support and guidance of a few community members, as well as the valuable resource of information that this forum is, that I would not of picked it up again quite so easily.

Playing again has been an emotional and fulfilling ride and I am enjoying every minute of it. I actually feel like I have lost a chunk of my life creatively by putting it down and that quite upsets me when I think about making that decision :-(

I went to a gig last night, which is no odd thing as I go to bloody loads of them, but I went to see a band that I have loved since I was at school, and never got to see, Counting Crows. I am usually a dark and rhythmic kinda guy (Tool/Perfect Circle/NIN/Sinch), but last night blew me away. Easily one of the best few gigs I have ever seen.

So I woke up this morning and had to sit by the open window of my 9th floor apartment (with Counting Crows on the stereo) and stare over the city with a cuppa tea and a lot of mixed emotion and blab out my heart online... amazing how music gets to you ain't it :-)

Thanks again everyone!!!

Shep

• Like 1

Hi Zoe,

Live they are amazing, but don't go expecting to hear all your fav tracks, as even if they do play them, they will be TOTALLY different to the album. Every track they change instruments and the songs get all restructured. Its amazing.

Hold Steady didn't support. The gig was origonally planned for Decemeber, with support from Ben Folds, but was cancelled due to illness. It should then of been last monday, with Hold Steady, but was again cancelled due to illness. Then finally they played tonight, with support from Singer Song writer Saul Ashby, who was a little like James Blunt. He was good at what he did, just not my thing.

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='501482' date='May 30 2009, 10:52 AM']aw its a shame that The Hold Steady didn't support,
they really are amazing, and supposed to be even better live.

Z
x[/quote]

I shall look them up. Not a band I'm familliar with to be honest... It shall be my mission for the day to listen to there stuff! :-)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='501470' date='May 30 2009, 10:41 AM']Hi Zoe,

Live they are amazing, but don't go expecting to hear all your fav tracks, as even if they do play them, they will be TOTALLY different to the album. Every track they change instruments and the songs get all restructured. Its amazing.

Hold Steady didn't support. The gig was origonally planned for Decemeber, with support from Ben Folds, but was cancelled due to illness. It should then of been last monday, with Hold Steady, but was again cancelled due to illness. Then finally they played tonight, with support from Singer Song writer Saul Ashby, who was a little like James Blunt. He was good at what he did, just not my thing.[/quote]

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='501484' date='May 30 2009, 10:55 AM']I shall look them up. Not a band I'm familliar with to be honest... It shall be my mission for the day to listen to there stuff! :-)[/quote]

lol there actually a band thats really hard to explain what there like until you hear them.

Zx

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='501489' date='May 30 2009, 11:03 AM']lol there actually a band thats really hard to explain what there like until you hear them.

Zx[/quote]

I see what you mean! Interesting. I imaging they are pretty good live. They would of gone well with Counting Crows as well. A good compliment to each other. Thanks for the suggestion!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='501494' date='May 30 2009, 11:16 AM']I see what you mean! Interesting. I imaging they are pretty good live. They would of gone well with Counting Crows as well. A good compliment to each other. Thanks for the suggestion![/quote]

Glad you like them :)
there just a bit different.

check out the song 'little hoodrat friend'
thats my favourite

Z
x

• 11 years later...

Good evening, Shep , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Hang on a minute; that Username rings a bell. Weren't you that fellow who played bass in... Errrm... Oh dear; it's quite slipped my mind. You know the one I mean, though. It is you, isn't it..? Isn't it..? :/

:lol: :P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, Shep , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Hang on a minute; that Username rings a bell. Weren't you that fellow who played bass in... Errrm... Oh dear; it's quite slipped my mind. You know the one I mean, though. It is you, isn't it..? Isn't it..? :/

:lol: :P

Most probably, yes :) ha

• Haha 1