skywalker

DIRECTION DETAILS

Shakenhurst Hall
Cleobury Mortimer
Kidderminster
Worcestershire
DY14 9AR

Tel: 01299 832 763

Estate drive starts in the village of BAYTON at the same junction as the turn off to the church. Continue straight to end of drive. Parking available in the park. If requiring to deliver gear come to front of house to drop it off then return to park to leave vehicle.

BAYTON is accessed from the B4202 either via CLOWS TOP on the A456, or FAR FOREST (Mawley Oak Garage) on the A4117.

For those coming from further afield, you need to be at Junction 5 of the M5, the A38 around Droitwich to Suddington, A4133 through Ombersley to Holt Heath, A443 to Great Witley, and B4202 to Clows Top. If memory serves me correctly it is quite well signed all the way.

If you have satnav, don't be fooled when it says you have reached your destination, keep going along the lane.

Another memorable day at Nick's.

A few people couldn't make it, so the numbers were a little bit lower than last time, but I don't think that affected anyone's enjoyment of the day. Many thanks to Nick for once again providing us with a stunning venue. Lots of equipment to view/try notably Bassace's double bass, Prosebass's collection of "travel size" basses, and the highlight for me at least was Sixstringbassist's stunningly visual six string Sei, which has to be one of the nicest looking basses I have ever seen.

Nice to meet old and new friends. More later with some photos, and I think Prosebass took more than me, so Paul if can put a few here I would appreciate it.

Steve

A great day. Lots of thanks to Skywalker for setting the whole thing up and Nick for his hospitality. Some amazing gear. Sorry I had to bottle out late afternoon to go back to let my dogs out. Mrs Bassace came back from the Three Counties Show with eight rosettes - from one horse? I don't get it.

Sorry for the slightly shortened post above, I looked up from my PC and out the window to see that some scumbag had smashed my drivers side window in my car, and on a further look discovered that my satnav had gone. To add to my happy Fathers day, the software for my Nintendo DS that my son bought for Fathers Day I have already got, and my card reader is not working, so at the moment I can't post any pics here. Never mind - s*** always happens in threes.

The highlights for me yesterday were playing a Bass duet with Monz to the amplified drum machine, (not always in perfect harmony, but good fun), Nick's family welcoming us to family dinner (14 I think around the huge kitchen table), and when I left at 9:45, Monz and Prosebass in big armchairs by the log fire, each with a Single Malt in hand, and Monz saying this was the best bash he'd ever been to. (he was glowing nicely at the time, after a couple of beers, some wine, and then into the scotch). Not forgetting the stars of the show, a litter of 5 week old Labrador pups, all named after famous bass players.

Fantastic day, thanks to Nick for the venue, and his family who welcomed us and made us feel at home. A special mention in this to Phil, a relative of Nick's, a pro bass player who blew us all away with his playing.

Steve

[quote name='skywalker' post='519894' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:36 PM']Sorry for the slightly shortened post above, I looked up from my PC and out the window to see that some scumbag had smashed my drivers side window in my car, and on a further look discovered that my satnav had gone. To add to my happy Fathers day, the software for my Nintendo DS that my son bought for Fathers Day I have already got, and my card reader is not working, so at the moment I can't post any pics here. Never mind - s*** always happens in threes.

The highlights for me yesterday were playing a Bass duet with Monz to the amplified drum machine, (not always in perfect harmony, but good fun), Nick's family welcoming us to family dinner (14 I think around the huge kitchen table), and when I left at 9:45, Monz and Prosebass in big armchairs by the log fire, each with a Single Malt in hand, and Monz saying this was the best bash he'd ever been to. (he was glowing nicely at the time, after a couple of beers, some wine, and then into the scotch). Not forgetting the stars of the show, a litter of 5 week old Labrador pups, all named after famous bass players.

Fantastic day, thanks to Nick for the venue, and his family who welcomed us and made us feel at home. A special mention in this to Phil, a relative of Nick's, a pro bass player who blew us all away with his playing.

Steve[/quote]

Yes, Phil was rather special.

Well !!!! :)

Where to start , firstly a huge thanks to Nick for inviting us down and providing a wonderful venue and to Steve for helping to organise this event.
The weather was good, the setting idyllic , the house is amazing and the hospitality was wonderful.

We had an amazing array of basses / double bass and some awesome amplification to try out.
Too many highlights to list but they included sixstringbassists wonderful Sei which was truely a work of art.
Watching Phils technique was an eye opener.
Monz's funky Stingray playing through his thunderous Mesa 200 watt combo
Bass ace's upright playing ( I take my hat off to you sir )
The puppys and the bar-b-qued chicken dinner
Monz's conversion to the Jaco Pastorius fan club............ :rolleyes:
Good conversation, Nick and his familys hospitality and new friendships.

What I did find rather strange was that only half a dozen of us made the effort to attend this so lets hope for a few more if Nick is good enough to invite us down again.

Unfortunately I was too engrossed to take many photos but here are a few.

The Venue

Phil with the Sei

Monz doing his Jaco Impersonation

Fenders , Sadowsky and Status

Monz's Mesa Combo , 200 watts of Valve Goodness

Our host getting to grips with his loop pedal

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='Prosebass' post='520068' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:07 PM']What I did find rather strange was that only half a dozen of us made the effort to attend this so lets hope for a few more if Nick is good enough to invite us down again.[/quote]

would love to have come, but being without a car at the moment didn't help :)

Many thanks to all who came and made the day such an enjoyable, if exclusive one. Many thanks Steve for doing all the admin and to Steve and Paul for taking and posting the photos. Pups were a bit of an "off topic" distraction, but even they seemed to have enjoyed the company. Sorry to hear of your woes Steve - such behaviour just makes my ears steam - bring back the birch I say! Not nearly as impacting, but I've just discovered that the mice have eaten one inch holes in the entire lower section of the dishwasher drainage hose and the water has been draining into the cellar for the last week. It was only the damp smell that alerted me! Such is life! Hope we can do it again sometime with a slightly bigger attendance - anybody up for June 2010? Best wishes to all. Nick S

Looks like another fantastic day. I was at some horrible wedding but shouldn't have bothered, pretty much split up with the girlfriend on the day anyway so kicking myself. If I had known there would be lab puppies I would have been over come hell or high water.

Huge thanks to everyone involved, spreading the message and good vibes of Basschat. I reckon 'bashes' however big or small are a big part of what makes us such a friendly and honest community.

Honestly this bash sounds absolutely idyllic. I can't think of a better way to spend a sunny afternoon. Lots of nice gear there too by the looks of it and it would have been great to have met you all.

Cheers
ped

• 2 weeks later...