Why become a member? ×

PASS IT ON: Grumpy old rock star

OldGit

Steve-Soar added to the list.

The book is now with [b]bartleby[/b]. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Remember everyone dont forget to sign the paper in rememberance of Old Git.

So [b]tauzero[/b] is next on the list. Anymore out there want to read a genuinely hilarious book :) (I am really hoping for a sequal)

1. tauzero
2. ead
3 farmer61
4. Steve-Soar

I've already got a copy, and very good it is too.

Just one thing though, whenever the subject of copying music comes up there's a fairly large body of opinion that it's a disgraceful activity that robs the artists of their deserved income. Isn't passing this book around doing much the same thing?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1029136' date='Nov 19 2010, 12:13 PM']I've already got a copy, and very good it is too.

Just one thing though, whenever the subject of copying music comes up there's a fairly large body of opinion that it's a disgraceful activity that robs the artists of their deserved income. Isn't passing this book around doing much the same thing?[/quote]

Tell that to the worlds second hand book shops, and record stores.

Don't libraries have to get permission or pay royalties to lend books? Selling a used book is slightly different in that the numbers of readers will be quite small compared with a lending library, or a round-robin, free-loan system when hundreds of readers are likely to be involved, meaning a significant loss of income to the publishers and authors.

But, I wasn't trying to make a big deal of it - I was just interested in the apparent difference in attitude to sharing books and music.

How about if I buy a new CD of some band and then offered to pass it around to everyone on Basschat?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1030847' date='Nov 20 2010, 08:38 PM']How about if I buy a new CD of some band and then offered to pass it around to everyone on Basschat?[/quote]

Imo it doesn't really work like that with books. Unless you photocopy every page then you're only going to be able to read it for as long as you have it. Once it's gone, it's gone. CDs are of course different because you can rip the music onto your PC and be able to listen to it even after the CD itself is long gone.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1030847' date='Nov 20 2010, 08:38 PM']How about if I buy a new CD of some band and then offered to pass it around to everyone on Basschat?[/quote]

That'd be fine with me as long as people listened to it and passed it on without copying it.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1030978' date='Nov 20 2010, 11:08 PM']Imo it doesn't really work like that with books.[/quote]
I'd agree with that, but only because I think books and music are completely different. I may not be typical, but I reckon I'd struggle to name half a dozen books I've read more than once, whereas music is listened to time and again.

So, in that context, passing around a book for people to read once without paying must surely be damaging to the author's income, in the same way as copying music, yet it seems to be regarded as less of a problem.

I'm not trying to be judgemental, I'm just interested in the inconsistent attitudes. Perhaps it's a consequence of the musical community here? Perhaps a writer's forum would be horrified at the thought of circulating published books yet be OK about doing the same with music?

Interesting though (well, I think so).

As far as im aware most lending libraries pay the author once for the book and thats all. The author can im sure ask that their books not be sold to libraries, I cant recal this ever happening. Authors and their publishers must be hip to the fact that if someone reads a book from a library and likes it, they are much more likely to buy that or another by the same author for themselves or as a present. Whatever gets an authors name known is for the good. Name recognition counts for a lot.

Now back to the list:

[center]([color="#FF0000"]Anyone else want to lend this brilliantly funny book and then pass it on [/color]?)[/center]

[size=4]1. tauzero
2. ead
3 farmer61
4. Steve-Soar[/size]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1031817' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:26 PM']As far as im aware most lending libraries pay the author once for the book and thats all.[/quote]
If you'd like a bit more awareness: [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/28/authors-fear-cut-library-income"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/2...-library-income[/url]

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1031868' date='Nov 21 2010, 08:42 PM']If you'd like a bit more awareness: [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/28/authors-fear-cut-library-income"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/2...-library-income[/url][/quote]

yeah well 6p per read book not for much longer methinks, as Tories are looking for easy pickings. Also this does not apply anywhere in the USA, South America, Asia, Russia or Africa.

Can we please get back the threads reason. ie: to the list

[b]1. tauzero
2. ead
3 farmer61
4. Steve-Soar[/b]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1031908' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:12 PM']Also this does not apply anywhere in the USA, South America, Asia, Russia or Africa.[/quote]
I thought Basschat was [i]"the UK bass guitar players' forum"[/i] or does its unofficial lending library operate worldwide?

Go on then, back to the list. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cocco' post='1044662' date='Dec 2 2010, 09:04 AM']I'd very much like to get involved in this please, can I join 'the list'. How many people has it so far been around?[/quote]

cocoo you are added to the list. Its been around 16 or 17 people i think. Dont forget to sign it.

The list

1. tauzero
2. ead
3. farmer61
4. Steve-Soar
5. Gust0o
6. cocco

Any more want a read of this most excellently funny book ?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
:) [quote name='ead' post='1189783' date='Apr 5 2011, 10:05 PM']Just finished it - great book. On to the next recipient....

Anybidy else want to sign on the list for it?[/quote]

Been off work a couple of days, but book has arrived safely, I'll let you all know when I'm done!!