Why become a member? ×

Hohner Steinberg Headless Bass

Mike Batt

[quote name='Mike Batt' post='467568' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:54 PM']Has anyone out there owned one of these (I think the model is B2AB). What do you thi nk? Played one in Bass Cellar recently and I'm thinking of buying but not decided.

Any views?

Cheers[/quote]

I have one for sale.

It has a nice neck pup, very dark. Personally I dislike the bridge pup but others would disagree.

It hangs a bit strange, very good access to higher frets but totally different from my beloved Precision. The nut is more like a J width than a P.

Great for big bands on small stages. Stays in tune when you whack fellow band members on the back of the head.

You're not THE Mike Batt, are you? Not worthy! Not worthy! :)

I have a B2A, not sure what vintage, that I bought from a fellow BCer a couple of months back and can't say enough about them - fantastic little thing. Especially as I am nursing a bad back at the moment. Mine is the active 4 string model, it has a lovely skinny neck, silky smooth rosewood fretboard, you can switch active/passive although the passive has no tone control. Active you get 2 band boost/cut. It REALLY punches out a big sound for such a tiny thing and is a joy to play. Even nicer to drag round to rehearsals etc as it is as light as a feather and takes up no room at all. The tone is a bit harsh and growly - well, compared to my Fender anyway - but as a rehearsal/second bass I couldn't recommend one highly enough.

There are various models - B2B is passive only, B2ADB has a detuneable E-to-D string arrangement at the bridge. There are 5 string and fretless, too.

[quote name='bremen' post='467573' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:02 PM']I have one for sale.

It has a nice neck pup, very dark. Personally I dislike the bridge pup but others would disagree.

It hangs a bit strange, very good access to higher frets but totally different from my beloved Precision. The nut is more like a J width than a P.

Great for big bands on small stages. Stays in tune when you whack fellow band members on the back of the head.

You're not THE Mike Batt, are you? Not worthy! Not worthy! :)[/quote]

Would be interested but I'm a lefty so yours is probably the wrong way round!

In my opinion I am THE Mike Batt (the Wombles guy is the imposter) As I normally say to the millions who have made this observation "same name, different bank account".

Do you know if they make a hard case for these or do they fit in a "standard" case?

[quote name='Paul S' post='467575' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:03 PM']I have a B2A, not sure what vintage, that I bought from a fellow BCer a couple of months back and can't say enough about them - fantastic little thing. Especially as I am nursing a bad back at the moment. Mine is the active 4 string model, it has a lovely skinny neck, silky smooth rosewood fretboard, you can switch active/passive although the passive has no tone control. Active you get 2 band boost/cut. It REALLY punches out a big sound for such a tiny thing and is a joy to play. Even nicer to drag round to rehearsals etc as it is as light as a feather and takes up no room at all. The tone is a bit harsh and growly - well, compared to my Fender anyway - but as a rehearsal/second bass I couldn't recommend one highly enough.

There are various models - B2B is passive only, B2ADB has a detuneable E-to-D string arrangement at the bridge. There are 5 string and fretless, too.[/quote]

Its the active/passive with switch one I'm looking at. I think its the light weight plus novelty value that's attracting me. From what you say it sounds worth getting (£349 at Bass cCellar in L/H version)

[quote name='Mike Batt' post='467587' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:10 PM']Would be interested but I'm a lefty so yours is probably the wrong way round!

In my opinion I am THE Mike Batt (the Wombles guy is the imposter) As I normally say to the millions who have made this observation "same name, different bank account".

Do you know if they make a hard case for these or do they fit in a "standard" case?[/quote]

They're symmetrical (apart from the controls). I didn't realise they did a lefty version!

Yes, you can get a hard case. They'd rattle round a bit in a standard case.

Yes, I am aware that the Wombles guy is merely a tribute act. Respect!

Super little basses, had one from new (B2A) since they first came out, it's been my ultra-portable backup bass for nearly 25 years and the only thing likely to stop it doing another 25 is if I: i) drop down dead; or ii) blag a real Steiny. :)

Today is actually National Kick A Womble Day. As is every day.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

Hi Mike, I played one for a couple of weeks back in '86 when they first came out, upside down, as I too am a lefty.
I thought they were very uninspiring and awkward to play, even though the controls didn't get in the way. The sound, as I remember, was always dull, with no bottom end. Maybe they're better now.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='467607' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:31 PM']Hi Mike, I played one for a couple of weeks back in '86 when they first came out, upside down, as I too am a lefty.
I thought they were very uninspiring and awkward to play, even though the controls didn't get in the way. The sound, as I remember, was always dull, with no bottom end. Maybe they're better now.[/quote]

I had one too ages ago, I totally agree with Steve, I though it was pretty awful and weedy sounding really lightweight though.
That's why the originals were made from carbon fibre. When Ned Steinberger came up with the original design, he found that it only sounded good when it was clamped to a workbench which added to the density of the instrument.

I've had good results recording mine- but with a mic'd amp (it's on the tracks "look to the skies" and "deep love" on the soundclick player on my myspace).
I like it mainly for easy transport to rehearsals (I carry it in a guitar gigbag) and no need for a stand.
the string spacing is closer than on a Fender (a bit awkward for fingerstyle sometimes), and the strap button position makes the first fret a bit of a stretch.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='467743' date='Apr 20 2009, 06:57 PM']I had one too ages ago, I totally agree with Steve, I though it was pretty awful and weedy sounding really lightweight though.
That's why the originals were made from carbon fibre. When Ned Steinberger came up with the original design, he found that it only sounded good when it was clamped to a workbench which added to the density of the instrument.[/quote]Hi Kev, I was going to say that I use to have nightmares about the neck on mine becoming limp and unplayable because it use to move so much. :)

I bought a hohner professional off a good friend of mine back around '89-90.
Anyway that was passive,felt great. The only problem I had was that altho'
the pickups were EMG SELECT they sounded a bit wooly and not as bright as I'd like.

I've seen someone use the one with the active/passive switch and that sounds better. With the
active setting,its LOUD!!

I sold mine about 3 years ago as I got a full body Steiney which is the real mccoy.

One other thing to mention...when I was going to band rehesrsal in some house in Fulham
I was told tobe careful as the area 's a bit rough and that could easily be mistaken for a gun. :)

I used to have one as well.

It sounded good, really portable. Liked it a lot. Decided to put characters from Asterix over each of the fingerboard dots and used the side of a thick "Kaolin and morphine" medicine bottle as a ramp (it was over 15 years ago though :)).

[quote name='Mike Batt' post='467568' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:54 PM']Has anyone out there owned one of these (I think the model is B2AB). What do you thi nk? Played one in Bass Cellar recently and I'm thinking of buying but not decided.

Any views?

Cheers[/quote]

They are superb! Great value for what you get, which is pretty much a pro bass. Awesome tones, never goes out of tune, well balanced .. I used a Hohner Professional Jack Bass Custom live and studio for four years, loved it, but got all gassed up for a Warwick in the end. I would go for the Jack over the cricket bat personally though, I've had both.

EDIT: My Jack Bass was quite the opposite of weedy, it had most deep dub tones. It could shake the room. Maybe weedy is a cricket bat problem.

Edited by silddx

I have an original Japanese one I bought new for £250 in whatever the Bass Cellar was called in 1986 - a tenner less than the heavy ash Precision I bought a few years earlier. I also have the Hohner hard case for it. Its a very well made and playable bass - now beaten for portability by my Ashborys though. I found some picato double-ball end flatwounds for it & with those strings it sounds good even in passive mode.

Someone said loud - +10 on that, when active - I can only imagine the weedy tones were from the passive version because this thing sounds huge. I did a side by side with my Fender Jaguar - the jag had a greater output on passive but, flick on the preamp and I had to turn the amp up a mark or two it up to get the same volume out of the jag. Though a better tone for my ears, mind.

Something else - I moved the front strap button to the upper 'horn' instead of the centre of the back. Sits a lot better now, though there isn't a lot of space on there so wide (not that you'd need a wide one) or rigid straps would struggle to fit on.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='467743' date='Apr 20 2009, 06:57 PM']I had one too ages ago, I totally agree with Steve, I though it was pretty awful and weedy sounding really lightweight though.[/quote]

+1. Didn't get on it with tonally, but man it was so portable and convenient! For me it was the perfect backup bass.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='468056' date='Apr 21 2009, 07:30 AM']I have an original Japanese one I bought new for £250...[/quote]

[pedant]Oh no you don't![/pedant] :)

These were originally made in Korea by Cort, as were all the 80s Hohner Professional range. No idea where the current ones come from, though - apart from Not Japan.

J.

The active ones have a trim pot on the preamp so you can make it very loud if you like. Personally, I set it to about the same as the passive volume, the output of which is fine, by the way. That way, if the battery goes, you can flip to passive without having to quickly tweak your rig mid song. I have 2 of the Jack Custom, and they sound really good, quite organic, fretted and especially defretted.
Also, they don't go out of tune, and I have NEVER broken a string on one!
Only one thing to look out for - check the truss rod will bring the neck true and flat. One of mine is fine, the other stops with about 1mm of relief. Still plays fine though, and no fret buzz!
Jules

[quote name='Bassassin' post='468615' date='Apr 21 2009, 02:58 PM'][pedant]Oh no you don't![/pedant] :rolleyes:

These were originally made in Korea by Cort, as were all the 80s Hohner Professional range. No idea where the current ones come from, though - apart from Not Japan.

J.[/quote]
:) I bow to your superior knowledge.

yeah I thought they were Korean made too.
I had a B2A before I got a L2 Steinberger

the active switch is handy but does eat batteries
it was not a bolt on either so check that neck

only took double balls so you may want to consider this. also an arse to find a case

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='470048' date='Apr 22 2009, 09:15 PM']:) I bow to your superior knowledge.[/quote]
I always assumed my B2A was JapCrap until I started getting really neurotically obsessive. Trust me, it was better not knowing! :rolleyes:

J.