Why become a member? ×

Favourite Female Singers!

MB1

8 hours ago, Japhet said:

Susan Tedeschi with Oteil Burbridge on the fat strings.

^^^ this

Or Susan with Tim Lefebvre laying down the groove

Oh and Tracy Chapman though I couldn't name a bassist.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

I'll chuck these in the mix in case no one has mentioned them

Annie Haslam (Renaissance)

Julianne Regan (All about Eve)

Janis Ian

Heather Findlay (ex Mostly Autumn)

Christina Booth (Magenta)

Edited by KevB

Despite my punk roots, my wife complains periodically that I have a penchant for what she describes as puppy-dog singers (quite where that came from, I'm unsure, but I think she may be alluding to How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? by Pattie Page).

Anyhow, I'm not amiss to Veruca Salt (Louise Post/Nina Gordon), Pvris, Paramore, Kristen May (Vedera/Flyleaf/solo), Anika Pyle (Chumped/Katie Ellen), Jennie Vee (Tuuli/solo), Vanessa Carlton, Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tgre/Julie Ruin), Michelle Branch.  I'm also partial to Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald.  Amazingly, my most played track on Spotify last year was Sara Bareilles' Love Song

On 20/04/2009 at 00:41, bubinga5 said:

One thing i never understood, is why people thought Janis Joplin had a good voice..I guess im missing something...??

I think liking a particular voice is a very personal thing. There are some vocalists who are considered amongst the greatest, and who have been mentioned in this thread, who I personally have no time for, and I’m sure others feel the same. However I for one am rather happy about the way this thread has gone and do not want to bring negativity into it by commenting negatively on other people’s likes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I think liking a particular voice is a very personal thing. There are some vocalists who are considered amongst the greatest, and who have been mentioned in this thread, who I personally have no time for, and I’m sure others feel the same. However I for one am rather happy about the way this thread has gone and do not want to bring negativity into it by commenting negatively on other people’s likes. 

Yeh, spot on. More than any other 'instrument', voices are such a personal thing - they usually either connect or they don't! I also think that vocal tone doesn't need to strive for perfection in the way people seek in instruments*. Give me a technically imperfect voice that just somehow has that combination of tone and soul over anything really. For me, they have to sound like they mean it , if you know what I mean!

(* Just shot myself in the foot here, as I often prefer this quality in instrumentalists too...)

Some great singers here. For me, two standouts.

Jessie J - such phenomenal control and variety.

And Hannah Reid, agree @Wilco. Such an emotive tone.

And an honourable mention to Aimee Mann.  So cool. Bassist too 😀.

Edited by kusee pee

Without competition Mimi Parker from Low, who beside being the female lead vocalist, and backing vocalist to her husband, guitarist and male lead singer/backing vocalist of the band, Alan Sparhawk, is also being the drummer/percussionist of the band.

Here's some examples of Mimi :

Chelsea Wolfe comes in on a clear second place :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I'll add three that I don't have think have been mentioned and have voices I can listen to all day. 

Marlena Shaw, her voice up there with Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick. 

Then Tanya Donelly from Throwing Muses, Breeders and Belly. Just a beautiful voice. 

And finally the Wonderful Tori Amos, such a great songwriter and conveys such feeling in her voice and playing. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Without competition Mimi Parker from Low, who beside being the female lead vocalist, and backing vocalist to her husband, guitarist and male lead singer/backing vocalist of the band, Alan Sparhawk, is also being the drummer/percussionist of the band.

Here's some examples of Mimi :

Chelsea Wolfe comes in on a clear second place :

Beside Mimi and Chelsea, I kind of also got a thing with Sandy Denny :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Lala Hathaway's performance with Snarky (Michael league on bass) often does the rounds - it's the infamous one with the her singing the two notes at the same time towards the end.

I had to google the correct term for it and found this video.  I can't sing one note in key let alone two at the same time.

• Like 1