Why become a member? ×

Favourite Female Singers!

MB1

If I temporarily ignore some stunning Opera voices, in addition to the Ellas and Billies, Kralls  etc I would add Hayley Reinhart, Morgan James and, I am still working through her songbook, Sarah Lloyde especially when singing with The Hindley Street Country Club. 

i have a load of fave female singers, but one for me which just exudes pure talent is liane Carroll and all that while playing stunning piano with such feeling and emotion, both just flow out of her and to top it all her husband Roger Carey on bass who has the ability to make most bass players just want to pack in, in one word i would say "beautiful"  playing.

take time to check him and Liane out, and  If you get the chance catch her live throughout the uk then go... its an experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WbOQcSokAY

http://thestinger.org.uk/article/57c5ccacedb1e2294d6cf69d

Edited by funkgod

Swedish Karin Dreijer Andersson, electronic musician and singer from The Knife and her solo project Fever Ray, is also up there for me :

Here as guest vocalist for Norwegian Röyksopp (She doesn't have the lead role in this music video, that's some super model, but is featured as the woman sitting at a dinner table in priest robes eating an apple, later in the video) :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Lingua Ignota (stage name for Krysten Hayter)

Seems to inhabit a similar musical universe of pain to Diamanda Galas, much of whose music was I think inspired by the AIDS disaster of the 80's and who is also something of an acquired taste; here's one of her more accessible tracks:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earbrass said:

Seems to inhabit a similar musical universe of pain to Diamanda Galas, much of whose music was I think inspired by the AIDS disaster of the 80's and who is also something of an acquired taste; here's one of her more accessible tracks:

I enjoyed that, and yes definetly sounds like it was an influence on Lingua Ignota.

In Hayter's case, her work is a cathartic expression of her experience as an abuse survivor

• Like 1