Why become a member? ×

Favourite Female Singers!

MB1

I'll add a few to a pretty impressive collection.

Right at the top for me - Dusty Springfield. Just love her voice.

Sarah Maclachlan. Great singer.

Eva Cassidy. Bless her.

Annie Lennox.

EDIT; Thought it was just favorite female singers - didn't see the bit about bass players so.............I'll add

Susan Tedeschi with Oteil Burbridge on the fat strings.

Edited by Japhet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, howdenspur said:

Thread from the dead time...I've just heard Judee Sill for the first time and blimey, what a great artist - here on OGWT in 1973.

Yes, indeed, as mentioned previously, Judee Sill was a unique and exceptional singer-songwriter -- almost coming close to the queen of all of 'em (imho)... Joni Mitchell. :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Ann Wilson of Heart ( Howard Leese was a great bass player for them, also Mike Inez did some recent stuff)

Sheryl Crow ( especially when she plays bass herself.....👍)5535256F-951B-433E-81EE-97B4DFA3836B.thumb.jpeg.b4dd5e356970fb1d915e1538cb863c5e.jpeg

Cool looking  bass, any idea what model that is 🙂

19 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Apparently a 1972 Guild M85 II. I admit to having little knowledge of this other than what I've read online, but it's, IMO, better looking than a Les Paul bass but looks like a Les Paul...😆😆

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Apparently a 1972 Guild M85 II. I admit to having little knowledge of this other than what I've read online, but it's, IMO, better looking than a Les Paul bass but looks like a Les Paul...😆😆

Thanks sykilz ☝️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Just from a rough guess, based on the letters on the headstock, I’d say it was a G U I L D something :P

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All my favourite singers are female so where do I start?

Some already mentioned are Sandy Denny, Dusty Springfield and the wonderful Karen Carpenter.  I like most types of music so can appreciate the delicate tones of Nanci Griffith and the powerful vocals of Tina Turner.  If you were to make a list of the top ten female vocalists I doubt Nanci Griffith would be anywhere near it but she can put a song across with emotion.

I could listen to Trisha Yearwood all night and, back in the day, had every record Cilla Black recorded.  Cilla sang some wonderful songs tucked away on her albums.  If I could only have a "boxed set" of one female singer then it would be Karen Carpenter.  Her voice was unique and the material she covered with her brother Richard is so well produced and easy to listen to.

Then again I love; Paloma Faith, Duffy, Reba McEntire, Trijntje Oosterhuis, Barbra Streisand and many more.  Of course, it's not just the voice that counts, it's also the choice of songs.  I appreciate some good singers but don't listen to them because their choice of material is not to my taste.

• Like 1