Why become a member? ×

Favourite Female Singers!

MB1

Debbie Harry-with Nigel Harrison on bass-I know he wasn't their original, and they've had others since, but the stuff he played on was classic Blondie for me.

Kim Deal, doin' it for herself-playing bass, that is.

Siouxsie Sioux-with Steve Severin on bass.

I'm sure there are others, more of which will occur to me in due course.

[quote name='Cornfedapache' post='466935' date='Apr 19 2009, 07:51 PM']Janis Joplin and Joni Mitchell.

With a bit of Laura Nyro, Kate Bush, Sinead O'Connor, Bjork, Judy Collins and Mamma Cass thrown in...

Bass player? Hmm... Jaco is a def fave.... So many to choose from though![/quote]

Another Laura Nyro fan, top man. Lucky enough to have seen her live in about 71/72 at the Festival hall.

+1 for the previously mentioned Karen Carpenter and Mama Cass.
From around the same time, I would add the superb DUSTY SPRINGFIELD.

BONNIE RAITT, who also plays some excellent slide guitar. Her bassist for many years was Freebo.

JUDEE SILL (bass player Jim Pons of 'The Turtles'). Any other fans here?
A most under-rated singer-songwriter who died in 1979 of a drug overdose. She had perfect pitch, was a multi-instrumentalist (piano, guitar, bass, ukelele, church organist, orchestrator) and had the first album released on the then-new Asylum record label in 1971.
In her earlier years, while feeling depressed, she was a partner in a series of armed robberies, holding up a series of liquor stores and gas stations. (She carried a .38 and practised hold-ups in front of the mirror as she didn't want to blurt out, as the old joke goes, "Ok, mothersticker - this is a f*ckup!").
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RBpoH9pdA8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RBpoH9pdA8[/url]

• Like 1

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='466947' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:01 PM']Well, of the famous ones, probably Diana Krall, Judith Owen, Belinda Carlisle & Jane Weidlin.

But my personal faves are one of the singers who works for me from time to time, Nicki Allan from Leeds (Have a listen to her at www.myspace.com/outtoplayjazz ) & Anita Wardell. Look up Anita on myspace or iTunes. Her scatting voice is something else! The bass player in both cases, from time to time has been me :)[/quote]
You said it ...Diana Krall...she is very good...

.....For me Anita Baker, Barbera Striesand.(i know i spelt that wrong) Maysa Leak, Randy Crawford, Kate Bush, are superb!!! But i think there are not many better than (depending on your taste of styles) Aretha.. For voice power and control.. she is awsome...No doubt IMHO,, she is the power house of female vocals who has ever lived..

Also my love of music altogether,, Chaka Khan..probably the most talented musician/singer of our time...She also plays bass...Have you seen her?? she rocks on a jazz bass fingerstyle!!!

you got to love Chaka..

One thing i never understood, is why people thought Janis Joplin had a good voice..I guess im missing something...??

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

• 11 years later...
On 20/04/2009 at 00:27, Stingray5 said:

+1 for the previously mentioned Karen Carpenter and Mama Cass.
From around the same time, I would add the superb DUSTY SPRINGFIELD.

BONNIE RAITT, who also plays some excellent slide guitar. Her bassist for many years was Freebo.

JUDEE SILL (bass player Jim Pons of 'The Turtles'). Any other fans here?
A most under-rated singer-songwriter who died in 1979 of a drug overdose. She had perfect pitch, was a multi-instrumentalist (piano, guitar, bass, ukelele, church organist, orchestrator) and had the first album released on the then-new Asylum record label in 1971.
In her earlier years, while feeling depressed, she was a partner in a series of armed robberies, holding up a series of liquor stores and gas stations. (She carried a .38 and practised hold-ups in front of the mirror as she didn't want to blurt out, as the old joke goes, "Ok, mothersticker - this is a f*ckup!").
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RBpoH9pdA8

Thread from the dead time...I've just heard Judee Sill for the first time and blimey, what a great artist - here on OGWT in 1973.

• Like 2

Oleta Adams - Pino is on Circle of one album, check Woman in chains live with Tears for fears, too

Anastacia, although she's not my kind of girl

Basia (Trzetrzelewska)

Barbi Benton and quite many other country singers

Yma Sumac has strange voice

Carly Simon and that Bond tune

Suzanne Vega, Nina Hagen, Julie London, Whitney Houston, des'ree, Macy Gray...

Julie Driscoll (with The Brian Auger Trinity) - 'This Wheel's On Fire'   and     'Indian Rope Man'

Dyan Birch (Arrival) - 'Friends'

Maggie Reilly (Cado Belle) - Stone's Throw From Nowhere

Judie Tzuke - 'Black Furs' [The live version from 'Road Noise']

• Like 2

Joni Mitchell (Max Bennett, Jaco Pastorius, Larry Klein)

Suzanne Vega (Mike Visceglia, Tony Levin, Bruce Thomas)

Bonnie Raitt (Freebo, Hutch Hutchinson)

Aretha Franklin (Chuck Rainey, Tommy Cogbill)

Melissa Etheridge (Kevin McCormick, Pino)

Suzy Boggus (Lee Sklar)

Kirsty McColl (Guy Pratt, Chucho Merchan)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Emmylou Harris.

One of the few people to cause me to cry tears of joy at a live show. She was performing with Rodney Crowell and they sang Pancho and Lefty.

Emmy would be on my list too, wonderful singer.

Honourable mentions should also go to - Aretha, Whitney, Dusty, Bonnie Raitt, Yola, Ronnie Spector, Darlene Love, Linda Ronstadt, Amy Winehouse and Dolly.

38 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

KT Tunstall for always giving it 110% live, never taking herself too seriously and having fun with the crowd (remember them?). 

Properly talented

Love KT. She seems a particularly good egg too, and is hilarious to boot.

My current -and likely future fave - the late, legendary Sandy Denny;

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Emmylou Harris.

One of the few people to cause me to cry tears of joy at a live show. 

Which neatly brings me to these, who did the same for me (and Emmylou!)

Edited by 4000