Why become a member? ×

£1000 - What bass amp?

Jazzman

I currently have a Trace Elliot 7215 combo (300W 1 x 15). I'm convinced that it is not as loud as it used to be. My older bass used to peak before the volume got near 10. Now my newer louder bass doesn't peak even when both pre and post gains are at 10.

Anyway, I feel like a change regardless. I believe there are nicer sounding amps out there. I intend to research the market well, but I would appreciate any tips from you guys.

I have around a grand to spend.

My requirements:

Portability - a must. I would like something lighter and ideally slightly smaller. I have recently become a dad and the car is full of all kinds of baby crap. I have my eye on Markbass - what other lightweight stuff is available?

Power - 300W has always been enough for me so far. Don't think I could go lower, certainly not below 250W

Sound - I think I prefer a clean solid state sound. I play rock, funk and jazz, but don't like heavy compression or any distortion on my sound.

As there is so much out there now, any help is narrowing down the market would be much appreciated.

Cheers

You could probably get away with a decent head and two 1x12 cabs (or a 1x12 combo with a 1x12 extension cab).

The choice of manufacturer would depend on what kind of sound you're after. There are a lot of good solid state cleans out there - yet they all sound really different.

I'll go do some research now.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='Jazzman' post='48999' date='Aug 22 2007, 03:07 PM']I currently have a Trace Elliot 7215 combo (300W 1 x 15). I'm convinced that it is not as loud as it used to be.[/quote]
That'll be you going deaf!

Sure others will have better advice than me on the amp front. But a mate's got an Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo that he's really pleased with. That's pretty light and compact for a 4x10. About £700 I think.

I'd avoid Ashdown for the sound you're after - loads of choice for the money. Have you tried 10's? It seems unusual that someone who likes the solid state punch etc. would be using a 15!

I reckon you should stick with a trace head (always plenty about use) and to trade off the weight of that old bugger get a nice lightweight 4x10 or similar configuration - EBS (maybe too expensive), SWR or Mark Bass would work nice I suspect.

Isn't/wasn't the Bass Merchant doing a pair of Aguilar 1x12 cabs and a MB head for less than a grand! Good gear at a sensible price.

Your budget puts you firmly in the bracket of some of the best used separates gear (combos or amp and cab) or if buying new, some of the better compact combos. Light weight Neo speakers are always going to cost you more than standard weightier cabs and you need to try before you buy as they do have a different tone. Loads of amps at 300w+ and the prices keep coming down.

As for recommendations; I'm sure you'll get a list as long as your arm but I'd have some fun going out and trying stuff.

In my opinion, starting from a Trace combo, £1000 can take you up several leagues in one jump.

Think about Markbass amps, GK amps and cabs, Ampeg amps and cabs. Second hand get you even further, for example an Eden amp and cab on ebay today. Also, look in the BC For Sale section.

Good luck.

THanks for all the advice.

BTW, my budget is £1000 total for amps & cabs (or combo).

I'm definitely looking to try out some 10" cabs this time, and if I can find a 12" cab I like I will definitely be tempted.

I have to rule out a 4 x 10" on grounds of portability. They may be lighter now, but they won't fit in the boot of my Xsara (and I can't put the back seat down with the baby in the car because it doesn't split. Stupid Citroen)

I played an Eden a couple of months ago which I was very impressed with, and also an EA rig last week which was very nice.

So next question: who has the best range of amps to try out within an hour or so of Huddersfield?

I like Sound Control in Salford and Electro in Doncaster. Anywhere else?

Cheers

I picked up my Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II and Neo 212 for less than £1000 (via Soundslive.co.uk and Thomann.de). Highly recommended. Very portable, very loud (700w), and a fantastic sound.

You could even go for the 700RB-II and a couple of Neo 112s if you wanted even more portability, still kicks out 480w, with the advantage of only using one cab for 320w whenever needed. Wish that's what I'd done now, not that I'm unhappy with the bigger version, just I don't drive so rely on other people to cart my gear around.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='49163' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:07 PM']Mesa Boogie Walkabout scout......

AWESOME![/quote]

This.

I just moved from the 150W 1x15 Trace combo to one, second-hand it was 2/3rds of your budget and the difference in sound is remarkable. It's also light and compact enough to carry on the tube (imo) and the head is very easy to remove.

The only disadvantage is my cat has decided the front grill is a decent scratching post. Thus I've had to ban said cat from the music room.

Can't help you find local dealers but I thought I'd throw the Phil Jones stuff into the mix! I've no idea what it is like (heard the sound-bytes/clips but what does that really tell you) but certainly meets your criteria. It just came to mind after looking at that link to the Sandberg site as they have the stuff mic'd for recording.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4386&hl=sandberg"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=sandberg[/url]

Edited by warwickhunt

You are starting an upgrade path so I would not go for another combo. You'll take one step then think you can do better. seperates are the way to go because then you can upgrade each unit as you want. Also, seperates are easier to transport.

You could even start out by adding a good 2x10 or 2x12 to the Trace combo and then get a better amp later.

[quote name='Jazzman' post='48999' date='Aug 22 2007, 03:07 PM']I currently have a Trace Elliot 7215 combo (300W 1 x 15). I'm convinced that it is not as loud as it used to be. My older bass used to peak before the volume got near 10. Now my newer louder bass doesn't peak even when both pre and post gains are at 10.

Anyway, I feel like a change regardless. I believe there are nicer sounding amps out there. I intend to research the market well, but I would appreciate any tips from you guys.

I have around a grand to spend.

My requirements:

Portability - a must. I would like something lighter and ideally slightly smaller. I have recently become a dad and the car is full of all kinds of baby crap. I have my eye on Markbass - what other lightweight stuff is available?

Power - 300W has always been enough for me so far. Don't think I could go lower, certainly not below 250W

Sound - I think I prefer a clean solid state sound. I play rock, funk and jazz, but don't like heavy compression or any distortion on my sound.
As there is so much out there now, any help is narrowing down the market would be much appreciated.

Cheers[/quote]
Gallery have a SVT 111pro mint for 599 and an EBS neo 2/10 for 350 and 410 for 550, if you can get 50 off the amp then you got a beast of a set up !!! go check it out.. quick!

So maybe Im biased, but youre requirements do sound like youre a prime candidate for GK neo.

Big solid state sound and plenty loud and light. The head/Neo 112 recommendation is a good one, works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the advice. I did a fair amount of research on the web, then headed on Electro in Doncaster, as they seemed to stock all the main bass amp manufacturers.

Someone was using the Markbass stuff when I got there, so I tried out an Eden 2 x 10 combo. I wasn't impressed at first - it sounded much like my Trace. I fiddled around with the knobs A LOT, and had difficulty finding something I really liked. Decided it had no benefit over what I had, especially given its size.

Went to the Markbass CMD121P combo. I was blown away straight away! Wonderful crisp tones with EQ on bass and amp set flat. Twiddled the VLE/VPF dials and got some incredible sounds. I couldn't believe all this was coming out of something that came up to my knees!

I tried the 102P as well, and then another guy arrived checking them all aout, and I listened to him try the 3 x 10 and 6 x 10. By this point I had ruled out all other makes!

The 102P was larger than I had hoped (expected), so I found myself leaning towards the 121P, but I was really struggling with the size. Surely it's too small to cope with a B string at high volume? I gave it a final test, giving it everything, at close to full volume, and it didn't distort. I bought it.

I can lift the thing WITH ONE FINGER! I can't believe it. If I ever struggle for volume I can always pick up another cab, as the amp gives out 500W, which should always be enough for me.

Not gigged it yet, but I will be able to test it live soon.