Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala - Manchester

Rayman

Seen him quite a few times in various lineups between 2009 and 2018. I was more of a fan pre FX pedals but I reckon this will be a good show and Stoller Hall was a great venue for Stanley Clarke.

Sadly on holiday. Will also be likely missing Bob Reynolds return to band on the wall this year.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen him him live since he was with JEM, a long time ago. I’m dragging Mrs Rayman along, who is more a Korn kind of girl, so it’ll be interesting for her!

Ticket sales are a bit slow for Manchester, so it’d be nice to get a few of us down there, it’s only 25 quid 

41 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I've got tickets for that gig. I always try to catch Janek when he's playing with either his own band or with Bob Reynolds. You know it's going to hear some high level musicianship.

Bob Reynolds is definitely my favourite sax player right now. He is touring the UK later this year too.

• Like 2

Saw the first night in London yesterday. 

Fantastic gig - long way from ‘bass as classical guitar Janek’ from The Union. Some beautiful solos and soundscapes, but it was all the low register, funky 4/4 groove playing that really killed it for me. French drummer Nicholas Viccaro is a beast. 

Mrs D’s tolerance for ‘out there’ jazz has worn thin of late so I was solo but actually this was really accessible, huge energy and a lot of fun. 

Anyone catching the rest of the tour is in for a great night. 

… I went to Stoller Hall, fantastic playing from all of the trio. Absolutely loved it, a good balance between old and new (I was surprised there wasn’t that much ‘Soundscape’ stuff), loads of soloing from both Tom and Janek and a large range of styles within the genre. Decent sections of groove playing also. One highlight (amongst many) was Nico doing some heavy drum stuff, whilst Janek was playing some fast walking lines and Tom getting busy on the Rhodes, awesome 😎. Stoller Hall was a beautiful venue and very easy to get to. It was probably one of my favourite gigs so far tbh. Hopefully Janek will release some footage sometime as I’d love to see it again 👍🏼

Edited by jimbobothy
Added info.

How many were there in the end ? I wanted to go but there was no return train after 9pm  back to here and I couldn't afford to spend a night in Manchester. Train would have more than doubled cost of gig, cheap hotel would have more than quadrupled it ☹️

19 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

How many were there in the end ? I wanted to go but there was no return train after 9pm  back to here and I couldn't afford to spend a night in Manchester. Train would have more than doubled cost of gig, cheap hotel would have more than quadrupled it ☹️

Around 40-50. It was about half full. I was expencting it to be busier.

It was a great gig with some high level improvisation and musicianship, as you'd expect from players who are that good. 

Janek's new F Bass sounds killer too.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

… it was a shame more people were not there as it was a cracking gig. Potentially due to the time of the year or maybe too niche for some? Either way it was fantastic 👍🏼

I think time of year has something to do with it, a lot of the people I mentioned the gig to were away on holiday. Fantastic gig in any case!!

19 minutes ago, funkypenguin said:

I think time of year has something to do with it, a lot of the people I mentioned the gig to were away on holiday. Fantastic gig in any case!!

I don't know. The room only held around 100-120 people. You would think that there would be that many musicians (or just bass players) in the city or surrounding areas (I went up from Stoke), who would be interested in it.

You can kind of understand why so many people come on tour and don't go north of London- when they do, people don't turn out.

Anyway, Janek is playing with Bob Reynolds at Band on the Wall in October.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I don't know. The room only held around 100-120 people. You would think that there would be that many musicians (or just bass players) in the city or surrounding areas (I went up from Stoke), who would be interested in it.

You can kind of understand why so many people come on tour and don't go north of London- when they do, people don't turn out.

Is Janek in Bob's band for this tour?  Thats great news, I didn't know that.  Thanks

50 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Weddings gigs are back

to back this summer and students won’t have come back. I think the timing is the main issue but Bob Reynolds had a good turnout at band on the wall previously. 

51 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Is Janek in Bob's band for this tour?  Thats great news, I didn't know that.  Thanks

Yeah he is.  I asked him after the gig.

49 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Weddings gigs are back

to back this summer and students won’t have come back. I think the timing is the main issue but Bob Reynolds had a good turnout at band on the wall previously. 

I know gigs are happening all summer, but I'm sure there are 100 people in the Manchester and surrounding areas who could turn out on a Tuesday evening. They aren't all doing midweek wedding gigs.