Why become a member? ×

A trustworthy truss rod?

Dom in Dorset

I've been working on a g****r and it was nearly finished when I discovered that the truss rod I fitted was faulty. It broke the first time I gave it a quarter turn.IMG_20220809_182700_533.thumb.jpg.17a43656dfa288132ed7042bf92d69cb.jpg

A huge amount of work potentially down the drain. I drilled into the pickup cavity and managed to push it out.IMG_20220813_113832_521.thumb.jpg.dec43b8158a9f699edeb3fc20b568c9f.jpgIMG_20220813_121144_274.thumb.jpg.db763284da3a9b7973fbc8d4cdfe1817.jpg

Now I need to try and get a new one in.

Any recommendations?

38 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Unglue the fretboard I fear. The new truss rod may be too big for the existing hole.

A professional will be along in a bit to tell you I'm wrong ;)

The fretboard is bound and as it's 100 year old oak it probably wouldn't survive the process. I'm only going to buy one that stands a chance of fitting. Someone here did the same on a bass so I'm confident that it can be done.

I'm struggling a bit here to see what I'm looking at, @Dom in Dorset.

Which end was the adjuster at (presumably nut end?) and which way have you removed it (the photo with the drill and where that hammer is is throwing me a bit)?  In the bottom pic, are we seeing the rod that has been knocked through from the nut end through a hole you've drilled in the heel end?

And if so - and assuming it is a single-rod, one-way trussrod -  what's happened to the retainer?

Assuming a dual action rod...... If it has come out from the headstock end (without any drama) then drive the new one in from the headstock end, unless I have missed something obvious.

Prior to insertion check the welds on the new rod for any 'lumps' that might bind in the channel and grind them down. Round the edges of the fixed end to prevent 'digging in' and wax or PTFE spray the rod.  Might be worthwhile getting the same into the channel somehow. Finally, I would give the new rod some hefty adjustments both ways. Better a duffer fails beforehand so be bold.

Edited by 3below

IMG_20220814_065522_769.thumb.jpg.3b998a0db548f47ef480d574c9bbd22d.jpgIt was a dual action truss rod, headstock end adjusted. The nut seems to have come off and is inside the retaining tube. I pushed it out of the nut end by hitting the heal end.

Anyway it's out now, I just wanted a recommendation for a reliable replacement.

Edited by Dom in Dorset

Hi Dom

Just spotted your post on TheFretboard and realised it is a two way and that the question is specifically about a recommendation of supplier rather than how to do it (you are clearly well capable of that ;) )

I would recomment Tonetech for a few reasons:

- they are simple and have the adjuster directly welded to the rod without the added complication  of a shroud

- they are, as a result, slim and so should be able to go back in where the last one came out (well done, by the way)

- they are - unlike a lot of stuff that Tonetech sells - a reasonable price

- I have never had a failure on guitars or basses - including 5 and 6 string basses fitted with a single rod

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

Already corrected! (And ordered)

If that doesn't work I will try Timetech, go back and stop myself fitting a dud in the first place 😅

Great stuff - let us know how it fares. 

I had a look at your https://www.scavengermusic.co.uk/    website, by the way - great philosophy and some nice builds. 

• Thanks 1

You could always make your own.

IIRC Stephen Delft dedicated at least 2 articles of his "Build Your Own Electric Guitar" series in International Musician to how to make your own truss rod from scratch.

Unfortunately Muzines don't appear to have the relevant issues scanned and available as PDFs yet...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You could always make your own.

IIRC Stephen Delft dedicated at least 2 articles of his "Build Your Own Electric Guitar" series in International Musician to how to make your own truss rod from scratch.

Unfortunately Muzines don't appear to have the relevant issues scanned and available as PDFs yet...

Seriously considering that option.