Why become a member? ×

Mustang flats

ped

Hi folks

I'm taking ownership of a Squier Mustang bass next week. I think it has the strings it came with on at the moment (anyone know what they are? I know they're rounds..)

My preference for strings on standard scale:

Flats - Labella 760fx (0.039 - 100ish)

Rounds - Exlixir super light (40-95)

I will probably want flat son the 'stand but given the reduction in scale I was thinking about the LaBella 760FL S Flat wound (43/60/82/104). These are short scale - various people say because of the thru body stringing that I'll need medium scale, but nobody seems certain! Anyone know? (edit - it says they're not suitable on LaBella site)

Elixir never made short scale rounds but I might try chopping down a long scale set (I have plenty!)

Anyone else have any particular recommendations? The Labellas are £40 form Bass Direct which seems good.

I'm quite looking forward to checking out the Squier. Should be good fun!

Cheers

ped

14 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I can't help with the flats, but yes, you do want medium scale strings. I've got D'addario medium scale rounds (EXL160M) on mine and the tapers are juuuuust right. 

Thanks! Yes it looks like LaBella do 760FLMUS which are specifically through body. 43/60/82/104 seems like a fair increase over my FX long scale so reckon they'll feel quite familiar. That said, the bass sounds pretty nice with rounds:

I expect it'll need some fettling to get it playing and feeling it's best but like I say it should fun... the only other Mustang I've played was a natural finish late 70s one that sounded terrible so let's see!

I got a Squier Mustang bass a few weeks ago and put a set of LaBella 760FLMUS flats on, and I swear they just work. I’ve had half a dozen Mustangs from vintage USA, MIJ reissues to Squiers and this latest one with those strings is the best one I’ve had. Perfect combination. Love playing it. Hope yours hits the spot for you 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, meterman said:

I got a Squier Mustang bass a few weeks ago and put a set of LaBella 760FLMUS flats on, and I swear they just work. I’ve had half a dozen Mustangs from vintage USA, MIJ reissues to Squiers and this latest one with those strings is the best one I’ve had. Perfect combination. Love playing it. Hope yours hits the spot for you 👍

Thanks. I think I’ll give those a go then👍🏼

I’m not planning on changing anything else but I saw a company in Yorkshire makes a replacement pickup which looks quite fruity from the specs 

https://www.northernpickups.co.uk/mustang-bass

Can’t see any reviews though and the stock pickup sounds fine from the vids on YT

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ped said:

Thanks. I think I’ll give those a go then👍🏼

I’m not planning on changing anything else but I saw a company in Yorkshire makes a replacement pickup which looks quite fruity from the specs 

https://www.northernpickups.co.uk/mustang-bass

Can’t see any reviews though and the stock pickup sounds fine from the vids on YT

Ooh those do look interesting 😎

25 minutes ago, Little Dragon said:

I was wondering, with the gauge of string you're considering, have you took in to account work that may be needed on the nut to prevent string rattle?

I think the LaBella Mustang set are probably about the same gauge as the stock strings but I could be wrong. With lighter strings I've never had to adjust a nut before but I don't mind having to if that's the case. I'll be tempted to give it a fret level and probably shield it too - I'll probably end up tinkering a fair bit!

• Like 1