Why become a member? ×

Worst bass solos......?

Beedster

Guy in the crowd shouted 'bass solo' a couple of years back and the singer appeared to think it was a good idea. I didn't BTW

Auditioned on DB at a studio in London for a singer/songwriter and her producer a few years back. We're doing this lovely mellow song that required little more than some root notes and the occasional foray towards the rosiny end and the guy suddenly shouts "BASS SOLO". Thinking on my feet I didn't play anything different to the previous verse and chorus but I lent forward, dug in and gave it a facial expression and posture suggestive of intense and deep musicianship. They seemed quite impressed 😉  

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Any I've attempted to play?

Yeah, me too. I prefer an interesting bassline that sits within the song that I can embellish a little for one verse rather than a solo where everyone looks at me.

26 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I didn't play anything different to the previous verse and chorus but I lent forward, dug in and gave it a facial expression and posture suggestive of intense and deep musicianship. They seemed quite impressed 😉

My audition for the current band was very similar only I was playing bass guitar. BL shouts 'C'mon Dave, bass solo' in a fast 12 bar song and after a bit of a stutter I play the 12 bar riff sequence with a little more attack on the plucking (the facial expression came naturally as it was a little faster than I was comfortable with at the time) and whoosh, I'm in the band! 😀 As the BL calls it every time, I worked out a simple solo that keeps everyone happy.

As for bass solos out there, I'm not really into bands that do them, so I can't think of any at the moment.

Edited by Franticsmurf

Just now, Muzz said:

Bass solos nope, not as such (OK, maybe a slightly elongated fill, or a bass intro, but that's about it), and drum solos (other than the late great Neil Peart) were/are always a cue to hit the bongos...

Typo fixed. :|

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Heard better...

I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet........but your kids are gonna love it!

There's only a few solo's I enjoy listening to and they're mostly played by John Entwistle.

I just don't see the point of them and even I turn off when at a gig and the bass player starts to solo, so gawd knows what the average punter who doesn't love that bass thinks. Them and drum solo's are completely pointless, they're the quickest way to stop the audience dancing and enjoying the gig (unless you're playing to a prog crowd - in which case a good half hour drum solo is probably one of the high points in a 2 song, 5hr set).

I always think if bassists/drummists want to show how good they are then they can do it throughout the set and just embellish their lines during guitar solo's (like Jack Bruce in Crossroads) or just play really really interesting, non repetitive lines (like JPJ in lemon song or Macca in I want you). 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I play Bass VI in a band where the other instruments are just drum machine, synthesiser and vocals, so essentially any instrumental break where I'm playing the most important melodic part could be thought of as a bass solo.

I do hope you are not nominating yourself for the thread title!

20 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

This, without a doubt! Flea isn't a terrible bassist, but his version of the 'national anthem' is a disgrace!

Holy moly that's bad. I think Flea is to bass what Kirk Hammett is to guitar. Anyone who started playing in the 80's and 90's idolised them, and then you get a little older and a little wiser and realise that they aren't that great. (I still love RHCP but whenever I hear Flea play without them it's cringe territory).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crawford13 said:

Holy moly that's bad. I think Flea is to bass what Kirk Hammett is to guitar. Anyone who started playing in the 80's and 90's idolised them, and then you get a little older and a little wiser and realise that they aren't that great. (I still love RHCP but whenever I hear Flea play without them it's cringe territory).

I think Mothers Milk still holds up pretty well.

6 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

I think Mothers Milk still holds up pretty well.

I agree. Sorry, reading back my post it possible didn't convey what I actually feel. I really like RHCP and would go as far as to say BSSM is one of my favourite albums. What I mean is that when I was a teenager Flea was my bass hero and I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. However as I got older I realised I much prefer other bass players and musicians.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I agree. Sorry, reading back my post it possible didn't convey what I actually feel. I really like RHCP and would go as far as to say BSSM is one of my favourite albums. What I mean is that when I was a teenager Flea was my bass hero and I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. However as I got older I realised I much prefer other bass players and musicians.

The funny thing about Flea for me is that I like the Chilli peppers and I think he is a great bass player, some great bass parts, a great ear for melody and some great melodic parts, he is a better player than I could ever hope to be but for some reason whilst I recognise all of this, for some reason his bass playing just doesn't really do it for me.