Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

Ok, so I'm new here, but...

I'm so very tempted by the Vintage, and maybe a Compact as well. I'm using a Marshall VBA 400. All valve, 400 watt monster, and soon to also be using a really old Simms-Watts 100.

I'm planning on having the Vintage and the Marshall as one rig, and the Simms Watts and Compact as another, but being ported cabs, I'm a little bit nervous about the cab getting a little "flabby" from the valves and the sheer amount of bottom end I like. Someone please tell me this isn't a problem?

Many thanks,

Andy

I'm not convinced the Simms will have enough power for the Compact but you never know, so it's probably worth gambling the return postage on finding out. The Vintage should be absolutely righteous with either head, though I dread to think how loud you'll need to go if you want power tube overdrive! :)

Alex

Oh god, the power tube overdrive with the Marshall and the Vintage would be quite a scary one.

The Simms is 100 watt, but valve, and I'd use that for smaller rooms. I'm using an Ashdown ABM 300 watt 1x15 combo for smaller gigs at the moment, but I just crave that valve sound. Nothing else does it for me. The Simms is currently in need of repair, but is apparently silly clean sounding, with loads of headroom...

Guess it will be suck and see.

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='663266' date='Nov 23 2009, 10:35 PM']Oh god, the power tube overdrive with the Marshall and the Vintage would be quite a scary one.

The Simms is 100 watt, but valve, and I'd use that for smaller rooms. I'm using an Ashdown ABM 300 watt 1x15 combo for smaller gigs at the moment, but I just crave that valve sound. Nothing else does it for me. The Simms is currently in need of repair, but is apparently silly clean sounding, with loads of headroom...

Guess it will be suck and see.[/quote]
i love those simms it's a shame its not one of the kt88 amps, there truely beautiful

whats the current wait time on the vintage? i'm really very tempted by one at the minute, giving into gas i think i want a cab with more real low end.

[quote name='umph' post='668355' date='Nov 28 2009, 03:18 PM']very tempted it's just the problem of not getting to try it out beforehand, do you do a 2X15 version? i'm after biblically loud (just made the mistake of offering to make a 200watter head for my guitarist)[/quote]

The vintage is 2x15 :)

Your welcome to try mine should you ever be in the blackpool vicinity!

[quote name='MythSte' post='668362' date='Nov 28 2009, 04:26 PM']The vintage is 2x15 :)

Your welcome to try mine should you ever be in the blackpool vicinity![/quote]

?

The picture on the website is a bit misleading: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/vintage.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/vintage.htm[/url]

:rolleyes:

[quote name='René_Julien' post='668368' date='Nov 28 2009, 03:34 PM']The picture on the website is a bit misleading: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/vintage.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/vintage.htm[/url] :)[/quote]

Duly removed! That was a one-off sideways silver-cloth front Compact. The Vintage is the big 2x15" as seen on this thread!

The website is seriously in need of new photos but recent weather conditions have not been exactly photogenic...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='668449' date='Nov 28 2009, 05:43 PM']Duly removed! That was a one-off sideways silver-cloth front Compact. The Vintage is the big 2x15" as seen on this thread!

The website is seriously in need of new photos but recent weather conditions have not been exactly photogenic...

Alex[/quote]

Aha.

And I browsed this thread and had a good look at the Vintage cabs.

They look impressive.
1200W at 4ohm in a cab that weighs 25kg. :)

WOW.... what are you guys using these for? :rolleyes:

Reminds me of arena power-line-ups.

(best I go with some T'Midgets.....)

But very tempting those Vintages.

[quote name='René_Julien' post='668511' date='Nov 28 2009, 05:31 PM']Aha.

And I browsed this thread and had a good look at the Vintage cabs.

They look impressive.
1200W at 4ohm in a cab that weighs 25kg. :)

WOW.... what are you guys using these for? :rolleyes:

Reminds me of arena power-line-ups.

(best I go with some T'Midgets.....)

But very tempting those Vintages.[/quote]

The thing for me Rene is that with the vintage i have SO much headroom, I dont need to find a tone that cuts through my band. I can find a pleasant tone and just make it loud enough for people to hear! It really is a revelation on that front.

[quote name='MythSte' post='668625' date='Nov 28 2009, 07:13 PM']The thing for me Rene is that with the vintage i have SO much headroom, I dont need to find a tone that cuts through my band. I can find a pleasant tone and just make it loud enough for people to hear! It really is a revelation on that front.[/quote]
That's exactly what I noticed when I used one for a few gigs. Even at low volume, it's a big, fat, effortless tone that just props the band up.

[quote name='MythSte' post='668625' date='Nov 28 2009, 07:13 PM']The thing for me Rene is that with the vintage i have SO much headroom, I dont need to find a tone that cuts through my band. I can find a pleasant tone and just make it loud enough for people to hear! It really is a revelation on that front.[/quote]
+1. I did a gig last night with my crappy homebuilt 1x15 and really missed the Vintage. My 1x15 has its own tonailty which I like (hence why I designed and built it as such) but it is so massively inferior to the vintage it really shows!

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=37899:12_Track_12.mp3]

This is a nice little ditty thats a good indicator of the tone i get from my barefaced. From a live set we did at sandhill studios in liverpool the other day :) Mic'd through an AKG D112? (the bass drum one) And a fancy looking condenser, Possibly a blueberry? Mixed with a clean DI for the fundamental. So all the "tone" is true barefaced vintage :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lojo' post='698597' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:59 AM']Anyone gigging a vintage in or around the surrey area soon?[/quote]
Yes, but not publicly til 13th march. Maybe by then i'll figure out how to play bass properly coz judging by my nye gig i'm rubbish :)