Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Vintage

wateroftyne

I love the 2x15" concept and from I can hear it has got a great vintae tone.

I'd love to hear your opinion about versatility. I love old school but I like the idea to have some crisp highs in case I need to. E.g. maybe I should look better at 1 or 2 Big Ones, but also the idea of a vintage might work... if the vintage had one of those 6.5" small speaker in somehow a 4 ohm cab (and would even prefer a normal metal grill instead of cloth), I think i would seriously consider it...

What's your experience with the top end of the Vintage?

[quote name='pmaraziti' post='635218' date='Oct 24 2009, 12:17 PM']I'd love to hear your opinion about versatility. I love old school but I like the idea to have some crisp highs in case I need to. E.g. maybe I should look better at 1 or 2 Big Ones, but also the idea of a vintage might work... if the vintage had one of those 6.5" small speaker in somehow a 4 ohm cab (and would even prefer a normal metal grill instead of cloth), I think i would seriously consider it...[/quote]

Shockwave is getting the first T'Vintage, so a 2x15" with an additional tweeter. With it off the exact same tone as the Vintage, with it on lots of tweetery brightness and sheen. Am happy to do any of the cabs (bar possibly a cloth grill T'Midget) with a metal or cloth grill now - have found a neat manufacturing solution for it!

Alex

I have a vintage,
I dont have a problem with top end it cuts through in fact sometimes at some gigs
i have to take a bit off,
I think the vintage is perfect as is.....
Im lucky to have a wal , a ricky, a jazz ,and a 74 precision, ALL sound great through the vintage, it brings out the
sound of the bass that your using, some cabs ive tried tend to make all the basses sound the same,
the vintage rocks........ :)

[quote name='thestick' post='635296' date='Oct 24 2009, 02:10 PM']I have a vintage,
I dont have a problem with top end it cuts through in fact sometimes at some gigs
i have to take a bit off,
I think the vintage is perfect as is.....
Im lucky to have a wal , a ricky, a jazz ,and a 74 precision, ALL sound great through the vintage, it brings out the
sound of the bass that your using, some cabs ive tried tend to make all the basses sound the same,
the vintage rocks........ :)[/quote]
Wot 'e said, except the bit about wot basses he owns coz I don't have them :rolleyes:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='635234' date='Oct 24 2009, 12:32 PM']Shockwave is getting the first T'Vintage, so a 2x15" with an additional tweeter. With it off the exact same tone as the Vintage, with it on lots of tweetery brightness and sheen. Am happy to do any of the cabs (bar possibly a cloth grill T'Midget) with a metal or cloth grill now - have found a neat manufacturing solution for it!

Alex[/quote]

Thanks Alex! Can the tweeter be adjusted (e.g. different setting) and is it defeatable?

[quote name='thestick' post='635296' date='Oct 24 2009, 02:10 PM']I have a vintage,
I dont have a problem with top end it cuts through in fact sometimes at some gigs[/quote]

Does it give you the highs you need for instance for slapping? I don't slap that much, but I would not like to be limited my the cab if I want to.

[quote name='pmaraziti' post='635586' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:31 PM']Thanks Alex! Can the tweeter be adjusted (e.g. different setting) and is it defeatable?

Does it give you the highs you need for instance for slapping? I don't slap that much, but I would not like to be limited my the cab if I want to.[/quote]

I really enjoy slapping through the Vintage but if your used to a tweeter slap tone you'd better try before you buy.

The slap tone is a lot "punchier" on the pops than most people are used too, but in a band you can actually hear it, which is a nice change from most tweeter'd cabs i've used. Where abouts are you? Im sure theres a vintage owner near you that wont mind you having a whirl.

Edit, Okay, maybe there isnt! Hmm...

[quote name='MythSte' post='635662' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:03 PM']Where abouts are you?[/quote]

Yep...none in Madrid... I might be the first though. We'll see. I don't love buying before trying, I know I could test it for a couple of weeks and return it, but shipping cost will be significant. I'll think about it.

[quote name='pmaraziti' post='635586' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:31 PM']Thanks Alex! Can the tweeter be adjusted (e.g. different setting) and is it defeatable?[/quote]
From Alex's previous post I'd say it's a choice of either on or off, though I beleive the Big OneT has a three way switch - off-lo-hi? :)

[quote name='pmaraziti' post='640704' date='Oct 30 2009, 07:47 AM']Anybody tested Vintage with Tweeter yet?[/quote]

Well considering theres only one in existence as far as i am aware, then either you'll have to wait for Alex's verdict when its finished/At the bass day in Brighton. Or when i receive it early next week :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='640805' date='Oct 30 2009, 10:07 AM']Good lord, that was quick! Surely it's only a couple of weeks since you ordered it?[/quote]

There was a vintage nearly ready anyway i think, Just needed the Tweeter installed and its various circuitry and the grill cover made.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm seriously considering ordering one too... I'm sure I'm buying a Barefaced cab, I still have to decide which one! Anyway, I can't have more gas! Oh, and pmaraziti, I'm from Madrid too, so let's see who buys it first and lets the other try it!

I just have a question: I've read there are three different tunings for this cab, so how does it work? Is it like a switch? Or do I have to order the tuning that I want in advance, when Alex builds it?

Thanks mates!

[quote name='Mandril' post='653330' date='Nov 13 2009, 08:37 AM']I just have a question: I've read there are three different tunings for this cab, so how does it work? Is it like a switch? Or do I have to order the tuning that I want in advance, when Alex builds it?[/quote]

Port plugs! None in equals standard tuning, one plug in equals lower tuning, two plugs in equals lowest tuning. I have the foam for these now so they'll be going out shortly to all previous Vintage purchasers. 75% of the time I'd expect standard tuning to be best, 20% of the time lower tuning, 5% of the time lowest tuning. The lower the tuning the less bottom the cab has, so the lowest tuning would be for small indoor gigs with big subs or if your amp is naturally very boomy.

Alex