Why become a member? ×

Asleep at the Wheel, It's all your Fault!

yorks5stringer

Great to see a Western Swing thread!  My wife & I had a band doing this style 10+ years ago - The Red Jumps. This has brought back some happy memories. 

AATW rarely play the UK but are favorites of Mrs PTB. I managed to get front row seats at Nells in West London on our 30th wedding anniversary!  

15 hours ago, PTB said:

Great to see a Western Swing thread!  My wife & I had a band doing this style 10+ years ago - The Red Jumps. This has brought back some happy memories. 

AATW rarely play the UK but are favorites of Mrs PTB. I managed to get front row seats at Nells in West London on our 30th wedding anniversary!  

I have to admit starting the thread was on a subversive whim ( read the title) given I had a quasi- political thread locked a few days before! However glad to bring a different kind of music to the attention of others.😉

30 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I have to admit starting the thread was on a subversive whim ( read the title) given I had a quasi- political thread locked a few days before! However glad to bring a different kind of music to the attention of others.😉

Do Ocado drivers sleep at the wheel?😁

21 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Love AATW and western swing! I saw them twice in Dallas years ago. Wish there was a way to perform this amazing music here..,

Tell me about it. I love Western Swing, too. Fiddle used to be my main instrument. I was fortunate enough to get the call to play for Herb Remington when he visited the UK many years ago - did a few dates and a Radio 2 session. I was a little nervous, to put it mildly. His fiddler back home at the time was Johnny Gimble.

I tried on several occasions to get a Western Swing band going here. The problem is that you need serious chops to do it right and those who have them aren't interested - Western Swing seems to be viewed here as being hokey and a bit naff. Which it most certainly isn't.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Tell me about it. I love Western Swing, too. Fiddle used to be my main instrument. I was fortunate enough to get the call to play for Herb Remington when he visited the UK many years ago - did a few dates and a Radio 2 session. I was a little nervous, to put it mildly. His fiddler back home at the time was Johnny Gimble.

I tried on several occasions to get a Western Swing band going here. The problem is that you need serious chops to do it right and those who have them aren't interested - Western Swing seems to be viewed here as being hokey and a bit naff. Which it most certainly isn't.

Yup…I ran into the same issue here…too bad, really

• Like 1