Why become a member? ×

Edge of Human Capability?

Crawford13

48 minutes ago, peteb said:

I've had this discussion with a guy who's worked in A&R and actively tries to find great new bands - he does not think that there are that many coming through, certainly not compared to previous eras. 

So that's a reason to dismiss a whole generation because one guy said so? Oh dear. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

So that's a reason to dismiss a whole generation because one guy said so? Oh dear. 

It's his job to know these things and he has a track record of developing young bands that went onto better things.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I call it jealousy, pure and simple. Nobody cares about some old codger down the Dog & Duck going through Mustang Sally who states that nobody can match their 'feel'. Sure bud! 

I couldn't have said it better. I like Berthoud's videos and the fact that he upsets a load of old fuds whenever he posts something always makes the comments section/forum threads quite funny. 

• Like 4

I think overall the problem I have the video in the OP and similar ones is that they don't give me what I want to hear from music. That not to say they are good or bad but simply that they have nothing to say to me.

Maybe because I class myself as a composer first an arranger second and a musician a long way behind those, that I'm not interested technique so long as it doesn't adversely affect mine or the musicians I work with ability to perform my compositions. For me the best technique is invisible in that it doesn't overshadow the composition or performance.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I think overall the problem I have the video in the OP and similar ones is that they don't give me what I want to hear from music. That not to say they are good or bad but simply that they have nothing to say to me.

Maybe because I class myself as a composer first an arranger second and a musician a long way behind those, that I'm not interested technique so long as it doesn't adversely affect mine or the musicians I work with ability to perform my compositions. For me the best technique is invisible in that it doesn't overshadow the composition or performance.

Personally, I don't think there is good or bad music - only music you like, or dislike.

The video offers you nothing, that's cool. We all know what we like and dislike. Who knows, I might really dislike you offerings and it's not for me, or, I may like it, but that's what music is all about...just opinions.

As it happens, I think the player in question has writing and arranging skills as well. Obviously not to your liking, but they are certainly there and to me, he does sound like he knows what he is doing.

This piece of his could be played by any combination of instruments:

• Like 4

18 hours ago, lowdown said:

Personally, I don't think there is good or bad music - only music you like, or dislike.

The video offers you nothing, that's cool. We all know what we like and dislike. Who knows, I might really dislike you offerings and it's not for me, or, I may like it, but that's what music is all about...just opinions.

As it happens, I think the player in question has writing and arranging skills as well. Obviously not to your liking, but they are certainly there and to me, he does sound like he knows what he is doing.

This piece of his could be played by any combination of instruments:

What a talented young musician.. 

If my kids could play an instrument to that technical level and show such an understanding of melody, harmony, rhythm etc, I'd be very proud of them for having invested their time and energy into one of the creative arts. 

I don't get why anyone would want to knock this guy at all for being a musician who's smart enough to earn a living from it. 

IMO, as musicians, need to celebrate what we all do to make the world a better place. 

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

What a talented young musician.. 

If my kids could play an instrument to that technical level and show such an understanding of melody, harmony, rhythm etc, I'd be very proud of them for having invested their time and energy into one of the creative arts. 

I don't get why anyone would want to knock this guy at all for being a musician who's smart enough to earn a living from it. 

IMO, as musicians, need to celebrate what we all do to make the world a better place. 

Please let this comment win the day. It's the most sensible comment I have seen in a long time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oi.. who let this nutter in here?

He's a regular.  There's a few like that. 

I think music is partially about communication and if the original video speaks to you then who are any of us to question that.  However for me, there's a lot going going on and it changes rapidly.  It's hard to interpret emotionally.