Why become a member? ×

Edge of Human Capability?

Crawford13

53 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I steer away from these kinds of YouTube videos, I prefer my bass/music to be more integrated with the rest of the band and, ummm, "groovy". For example, I have been getting into craddock recently:

and arguably, it is visually appealing too.

ETA Mods!!! PLEASE sort your swear filter out, to let thru one of the best all-female bands of all time! They are not craddock!

I discovered these about 12 months ago. I would say possibly the best all female rock band in history and criminally overlooked. Amazing songwriters, performers and great bass playing.

27 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I hear hand claps?

Yeah, so do I. Plus a Güiro mixed low. There is also a busy metallic sound going on, probably a tight, closed hi-hat.

To my ears, it's just some auxiliary percussion underneath the Bass Rhythms. It's like some kind of 7/4(?) hybrid Flamenco thing (probably in keeping with the Spanish flavouring of the piece).

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

I steer away from these kinds of YouTube videos, I prefer my bass/music to be more integrated with the rest of the band and, ummm, "groovy". For example, I have been getting into craddock recently:

ETA Mods!!! PLEASE sort your swear filter out, to let thru one of the best all-female bands of all time! They are not craddock!

It's groovy alright - sounds very Betty Davis circa 1974

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

This is the clip which Youtube most wants me to watch.

Not sure why the algorithm got this as it's not similar to what I listen to. But I do quite like it though!

10 hours ago, Sibob said:

I’d like to know how it was recorded. Whether it’s a single take or a multi-take piece.

His lines are virtually always pre-recorded, produced and then effectively mimed for visual purposes. It does slightly undermine his ability but as a content creator he is great!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acidbass said:

His lines are virtually always pre-recorded, produced and then effectively mimed for visual purposes. It does slightly undermine his ability but as a content creator he is great!

I don't have a massive issue with this method in his case. Sure it would be more impressive as a live one take shot, however the playing in the video looks fairly legit, it wouldn't be as clean as the recording but it certainly looks like he is playing what I am hearing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, la bam said:

Skill level is unbelievable, but as with all these bass players who fly about over 6 - 10 strings and do all sorts of playing I just cant help but think a guitar or piano is more suited to that music.

The playing and techniques seem to be very similar to the stuff that Joe Satriani and Jennifer Batten have been doing for years, with the addition of some slap bass.

I find all those guitar virtuosos technically brilliant but for the most part unlistenable and the only saving grace for this bass part is its short.

When I took guitar lessons Midnight by Satriani was virtually a set piece for the exam for one of the levels (level 6 IIRC) if you wanted to demonstrate your proficiency in right hand tapping technique.   Personally I think it's a technique that should be used sparingly if it's not to become an exercise in showing off.  Thew tapping part in EVH's eruption is the only part of it I can play (he only taps with one finger of the right hand) and is my go to show off bit for playing in guitar shops.

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The problem I have with tapping is that I always hear it as a sequencer part, and therefore while the technique in itself is very impressive, there are other far easier ways of getting the same end sonic result, that don't (for me) require hours of practice.

Yep, just because you can do something doesn't mean you need to or should do that thing, bass or drum solos spring to mind 😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I would! And I think his playing is extremely musical - though there seems to be a school of thought that thinks only simple ditties or straight-ahead riffs are musical, everything else is showing off.

Personally I celebrate talent and have no problem with complexity or even atonality (which Charlie doesn't really do, more's the pity!), though ultimately it's down to taste...

I generally like what he does eg: presents pieces of music in a way that can be appreciated by a listener or someone who wants to progress and learn some of his technique. If he was jumping all over the screen you wouldn't be able to see properly what and how he was playing. 🤣 As with all music it won't float everyones boat.

I've said it somewhere on BC before that "Electric bass guitar appears to be the only musical instrument I can think of that it is frowned upon to progress and get better and you must limit the notes you play." 🤣

Pianist: "I've got 88 keys available to use"

Other musicians: "Knock yourself out. Use 'em all if you want and as a bonus you can play more than one at a time! :shok:"

Guitarist: "What about me? I've 6 strings and 120+ different note positions?"

Other musicians: "Yep, no restrictions either, carry on, lets see what you can do. Wait.....only one restriction, no playing of simple chords or we'll rip you to shreds for not being complicated or accomplished enough"

Bassist: "I've got four....."

Other musicians: "STOP right there! You may have four strings but you should limit your playing to the lower 2 and then only up to the 5th fret"

Bassist: "But....?"

Other musicians: ".....and no more than 4 notes per bar played with fingers or a pick. Don't forget we're watching you!"

Adam Clayton: "But when I do that you rip into me???!?!?" 😕🤣

As far as those who say "Jaco only needed four strings......he was but an amateur.....my Grandpop only needed ONE string and played one of these 🤣

239175-0.thumb.jpg.20bcb0d59d19c594ce825e94e7b85950.jpg

• Like 4

After watching that disgusting display of TECHNIQUE FOR TECHNIQUE'S SAKE and TOTAL LACK OF GROOVE OR FEEL I was violently, physically sick. My next reaction was to smash in my computer monitor like a suburban dad witnessing the Sex Pistols on Bill Grundy. Has he not heard that LESS IS MORE? I guarantee that if he was asked to play Mustang Sally it would be nothing but an indulgent display of tapping and double-thumbing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Belka said:

. . . .  Has he not heard that LESS IS MORE? I guarantee that if he was asked to play Mustang Sally it would be nothing but an indulgent display of tapping and double-thumbing.

CB is already on the case. . . .

1 hour ago, Acebassmusic said:

I've said it somewhere on BC before that "Electric bass guitar appears to be the only musical instrument I can think of that it is frowned upon to progress and get better and you must limit the notes you play." 🤣

You should always improve your technique and know how to play across the whole fretboard, using as many strings as you have.  I don't think anyone here would state otherwise.  Whether playing all those notes is really effective for the instrument's role in an ensemble is another matter. Some band structures and songs permit more notes than others - some of Flea's work in the RHCPs is an example where he not only plays lots of notes but in some cases includes two or three different bass pats at the same time.  Sometimes he chooses not to play anything and that's just as effective.. 

• Like 2

I like Charles. I'm not generally a fan of twinkly-tappy bass solos, but his skill is undeniably astounding and his videos can be amusing. 

My daughters know who he is as well, without my influence, so if he's inspiring kids to take up bass, well done him.

I also love how he gets right up the noses of the more conservative members of our community. If he's winding up the old guard, he's doing something right. 

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I like Charles. I'm not generally a fan of twinkly-tappy bass solos, but his skill is undeniably astounding and his videos can be amusing. 

My daughters know who he is as well, without my influence, so if he's inspiring kids to take up bass, well done him.

I also love how he gets right up the noses of the more conservative members of our community. If he's winding up the old guard, he's doing something right. 

I'm part of the 'old guard' and he certainly doesn't get up my nose. I find his humour a bit twee at times but he can obviously play, most of his stuff is pretty musical and he has the sense to keep all of his clips showcasing his chops pretty short! All in all, he can be quite entertaining at times so that's cool. 

Like it or not, stand alone YT music clips are a thing now and lots of good young players choose to express themselves in this way rather than being part of a band. If they can make a living doing this then good luck to them, but I'm guessing that it is a small part of the reason why there aren't as many good young bands around as there used to be... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, peteb said:

I'm part of the 'old guard' and he certainly doesn't get up my nose. I find his humour a bit twee at times but he can obviously play, most of his stuff is pretty musical and he has the sense to keep all of his clips showcasing his chops pretty short! All in all, he can be quite entertaining at times so that's cool. 

Like it or not, stand alone YT music clips are a thing now and lots of good young players choose to express themselves in this way rather than being part of a band. If they can make a living doing this then good luck to them, but I'm guessing that it is a small part of the reason why there aren't as many good young bands around as there used to be... 

There are loads of good young bands around - you won't find them in traditional outlets for buying music though. 

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I call it jealousy, pure and simple. Nobody cares about some old codger down the Dog & Duck going through Mustang Sally who states that nobody can match their 'feel'. Sure bud! 

But look at some 'old codger' like Leland Sklar. He's very definitely a 'feel' player and doesn't have a load of chops, but he's one of the most in-demand players out there and probably the most recorded bass player of all time. 

Just now, Supernaut said:

There are loads of good young bands around - you won't find them in traditional outlets for buying music though. 

I've had this discussion with a guy who's worked in A&R and actively tries to find great new bands - he does not think that there are that many coming through, certainly not compared to previous eras.