Why become a member? ×

Edge of Human Capability?

Crawford13

48 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Except Franz Liszt was a proper showman who knew how to put on visual performance - unlike the person being discussed here.

He does put on a visual performance though - more people see him than ever saw Liszt, his channel is basically visual.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

He does put on a visual performance though - more people see him than ever saw Liszt, his channel is basically visual.

It's visual in the sense that he's in front of a video camera, but other than that he just stands/sits there and plays.

The visual element is only important because if you don't know how the the music is being produced it's no where near as impressive.

Just now, la bam said:

Skill level is unbelievable, but as with all these bass players who fly about over 6 - 10 strings and do all sorts of playing I just cant help but think a guitar or piano is more suited to that music.

Exactly!

Which is why the player has to put it out on YouTube rather than a non-visual medium. Simply as a composition it's not particularly musical or interesting. The interesting thing is that he has made it more difficult for himself by playing it on a "inappropriate" instrument. Without being able to see that no-one would be even slightly impressed.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Without being able to see that no-one would be even slightly impressed.

I would! And I think his playing is extremely musical - though there seems to be a school of thought that thinks only simple ditties or straight-ahead riffs are musical, everything else is showing off.

Personally I celebrate talent and have no problem with complexity or even atonality (which Charlie doesn't really do, more's the pity!), though ultimately it's down to taste... 

And a certain level of hypocrisy; while I celebrate talent and complexity in jazz or funk, when prog becomes even slightly folky I run screaming! Frinstance, I loves a bit of Genital Giant, until they start getting all fa diddly diddly wee, then I hates 'em. Similarly, I can't be doing with any Genesis at all - praps because it's twee pop ("Lonely Fart") or English-centric and a touch folky.

Now if they had a hint of The Funk it might be a different matter...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cato said:

No idea if he's in a band at the moment.

There's a video of his online where he talks about his 'journey'

In a nutshell he started playing at school, went on to spend several years studying at a prestigous US music college at which point he was also gigging seven days a week in multiple bands in different genres.

When he eventually returned to the UK he found himself unable to successfully monetise his skills until he got a lucky break when Davey504 featured him in one of his vids.

Since then Youtube has been his main musical focus.

Fairplay to him for finding a way to make a living doing what he loves.

Exactly.

It makes me a little sad when I see the comments "but is he in a band?", "technically brilliant but is he a musician?"...

Yup, I'm sure he'd be completely lost playing Sex On Fire at the Red Lion on Saturday night... :facepalm:

Come on guys...

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

... Without being able to see that no-one would be even slightly impressed.

I've just played it again, with only my PC screen, so no 'visuals', and, for my part, I found it has its own musical validity, however it was produced (by MIDI piano-roll, keys, bass or whatever...); it was simply too short, s'all, being maybe simply a showcase number. I don't subscribe to this notion of having to be 'impressed' with everything (or even anything..!). It's good, musically on its own merits, in my view. Whether one likes it or not is another matter, of course, but I equally watched the recently-posted videos of a couple of 'metal' bands, with lady virtuosi, and I know what I'd rather listen to (and watch..!). To each his/her own, but 'tape à l'oeil' doesn't go far with me, I'm afraid. -_-

• Like 3

Incredible to watch, but nothing I could listen to for more than a few seconds. Fretted bass is a pretty crap solo instrument to listen to, to my ears. Tapping metal bass strings onto metal frets, in particular, sounds quite rubbish as a vehicle for musical expression. As above, that he's doing this on an instrument not really musically suitable is the hook here. It's a feast for the eyes as I can appreciate the level of coordination what he's doing requires, and the imagination to get to that level, but just doesn't stimulate me as music to my ears.

And, yes, I've no doubt he's a great musician and could play circles around me playing "normal" bass stuff, too. This kind of stuff, as music, just bores me, though I am not his target audience in the same way a lot of contemporary music also says nothing to me about my life. Just personal taste.

Why would he pursue a career in a band when he can make a living as a solo performer, especially now there's a worldwide medium for that on YouTube, etc?

Grandstanding pieces like this are created to garner attention (and therefore advance the solo career mentioned above), the more remarkable the better, and are more accurately judged on that basis.

Nige Clutterbuck is a friend of mine, and has suffered much abuse for his grandstand stuff (if you've never seen it, his speciality is 1000mph slappity-hoohah*) from some musos, but he plays it for a specific reason; to further other aims, like pulling a crowd round at a trade show. He's also a great bassist and yeah, he plays in bands, too...

Anyway, there'll be another 8-year-old YouTuber along in a bit who's 90% of the way there before they can even reach the end of the neck properly...

* Technical term, donchaknow?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chris_b said:

This guy has a fantastic level of skill, coupled with a high degree of musical ability. He's a fantastic bass player.

I'm happy for anyone who can make a living out of playing bass. Good on em.

Absolutely...

He's actually a very good Pianist as well, plus he's done a good bit of time in the trenches with bands, tours and sessions, so defiantly not a novice regarding the shenanigans of a working musician.

I believe he has over one million subscribers to his YouTube channel, so clearly has a very good target audience. I noticed he has other things on the go judging by his links below.

Good luck to him.

1.JPG.15e84d37711d1b9542d76f1cabf6acb9.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I would! And I think his playing is extremely musical - though there seems to be a school of thought that thinks only simple ditties or straight-ahead riffs are musical, everything else is showing off.

Personally I celebrate talent and have no problem with complexity or even atonality (which Charlie doesn't really do, more's the pity!), though ultimately it's down to taste... 

And a certain level of hypocrisy; while I celebrate talent and complexity in jazz or funk, when prog becomes even slightly folky I run screaming! Frinstance, I loves a bit of Genital Giant, until they start getting all fa diddly diddly wee, then I hates 'em. Similarly, I can't be doing with any Genesis at all - praps because it's twee pop ("Lonely Fart") or English-centric and a touch folky.

Now if they had a hint of The Funk it might be a different matter...

The diverse opinions in this thread interest me, but this ^ even more.
Having grown used to your and my sensitivities having many similarities, I'm surprised of the words "his playing is extremely musical". It may well be that I misunderstand the exact meaning of these words, as to me that is the single bit that's lacking, as in:

Skill level: high.
Do I like the notes: Yes! Even as a "shifty" show piece to me it seems to have more coherence than many songs that are not show pieces.
Would I play it again: Yes! I've already played it a dozen or so times.
Would I buy an album with the complete music as I imagine it (experiencing this being only some of the parts in a wider composition): Absolutely! Think bands like Cynic and the like, with this as the bass/Stick/Warr part.
Would I buy the album if it's just this? Absolutely, but only if he prioritised musical expression above speed, for example by slowing down a tiny percentage and taking more care of tone shaping and exact timing.

So: much admiration on many levels and from many angles, but not from all angles. Then again, as I boy I was bitten by the classical music cobra, so maybe I'm simply barking up the wrong tree.

BTW, I love Gentle Giant including their  "fa diddly diddly wee".

• Like 1

I think the piece is incredibly musical, there is harmonic complexity there, the chord progression is great, everything flows wonderfully from a musical point of view etc etc. If anything it’s a shame it isn’t longer, but then that’s the nature of carving out a career in music nowadays (as mentioned earlier). Reminds me of Polyphia.

Regardless, without taking anything away from Charles (he’s way more technically able than I’ll ever be), I’d like to know how it was recorded. Whether it’s a single take or a multi-take piece.

I suspect the latter, which somewhat dulls the ‘most technically able bassist on the planet’ hyperbole, but doesn’t take anything away from the fact is a wonderfully musical piece.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Is this the edge of human Capability right here on our instrument?

If it was anyone else but him I would be sure it has been sped up...

However having watched enough of his playing I think he may well just be the most technically accomplished bass player on the planet right now.

Brilliant playing but I didn't know James Blunt played bass !! ;) 😛 (The duy has a passing resemblance LOL) :) 

John 😎 

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Nige Clutterbuck is a friend of mine, and has suffered much abuse for his grandstand stuff (if you've never seen it, his speciality is 1000mph slappity-hoohah*) from some musos, but he plays it for a specific reason; to further other aims, like pulling a crowd round at a trade show. He's also a great bassist and yeah, he plays in bands, too...

Used to see quite a bit of Nigel when he worked at A1 Music back in the day. Lovely bloke. In fact it was him & Drew sold me my main bass. And yes, he is a great player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Exactly!

Which is why the player has to put it out on YouTube rather than a non-visual medium. Simply as a composition it's not particularly musical or interesting. The interesting thing is that he has made it more difficult for himself by playing it on a "inappropriate" instrument. Without being able to see that no-one would be even slightly impressed.

Soooo, it's a very effective visual performance then?

• Like 1

I steer away from these kinds of YouTube videos, I prefer my bass/music to be more integrated with the rest of the band and, ummm, "groovy". For example, I have been getting into craddock recently:

and arguably, it is visually appealing too.

ETA Mods!!! PLEASE sort your swear filter out, to let thru one of the best all-female bands of all time! They are not craddock!

Edited by paul_c2
  • Like 2