Why become a member? ×

Edge of Human Capability?

Crawford13

Is this the edge of human Capability right here on our instrument?

If it was anyone else but him I would be sure it has been sped up...

However having watched enough of his playing I think he may well just be the most technically accomplished bass player on the planet right now.

• Like 6

Well, he can play, that's for certain, love seeing people who can do that sh*t, would I watch it twice? No.

Can I remember a single thing he played? No.

Can I play like that? No.

Virtuoso playing for it's own sake is a bit of a dead end for me, I can't stand a lot of the stuff Jaco did solo, but his ensemble work with other artists is stunning.

You take your joy where you find it I suppose.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, lowdown said:

I think he plays great. Musically, he quite easily keeps my attention throughout his videos. Plus, he keeps them at a sensible length.

I absolutely agree, and that example is lovely.

I’m a caveman in comparison to his playing (or in fact in comparison to a lot of people to be fair 😁) but I do enjoy everything I see/hear of his playing.

• Like 1

No doubting he has exceptional skills and from what I've seen on YT he possibly is the most technically advanced player I've seen, even surpassing Vic Wootton. Another plus he has a light-hearted approach to his vids.  Would I listen to virtuosic solo bass compositions like these for pleasure? Not in a million lifetimes!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Is he actually in a band?

If so can some please supply links to their music.

No idea if he's in a band at the moment.

There's a video of his online where he talks about his 'journey'

In a nutshell he started playing at school, went on to spend several years studying at a prestigous US music college at which point he was also gigging seven days a week in multiple bands in different genres.

When he eventually returned to the UK he found himself unable to successfully monetise his skills until he got a lucky break when Davey504 featured him in one of his vids.

Since then Youtube has been his main musical focus.

Fairplay to him for finding a way to make a living doing what he loves.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 16

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Except Franz Liszt was a proper showman who knew how to put on visual performance - unlike the person being discussed here.

Define 'visual performance'. I much prefer the sobre aspect of the video above to the exuberant visuals that many bands and players come up with. A seated orchestra pumping out Schubert's Ninth doesn't need pyrotechnics, for me. I'd be just as happy listening to performances such as that above, eyes wide shut. B|

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I suppose because I also work in graphics I'm a very visual person, and if I go to a live performance I want my eyes as well as my ears to be entertained. Otherwise I might as well stay at home and listen to a recording.

To me, music is an ephemeral medium, lost as soon as it's created, and quite distinct from visuals, either fixed or dynamic. Having the two combined is fine, and they may very well complement each other, but I'd much prefer a concert with good music and no visuals to a concert with good visuals and no music.
Disclaimer : I used to do the lights for a very 'active' ska/rock/punk group, and the use of 'blackouts' could be very effective, as well as the strobes, ACL's and moving heads. My leitmotif was 'glauque'. It's all a question of dynamics; 'more' is only 'more' if there is some 'less'.

Edited by Dad3353

What he does is incredible. The amount of hours and persistence to practice, practice, practice is amazing. His execution of some very tricky stuff is flawless. Most of what he plays has a musical point rather than just showing off technical ability.

Those criticising need to understand that being a gigging music, or being in a band, is an older and rapidly disappearing option for a viable music career. YouTube and other media gives people the opportunity to do things and make many that would never have been an option via the traditional band or even session musician route.

Personally, his videos impress me but nothing more, and I don’t subscribe to his channel or watch many because I find him irritating and the result not musical enough for me, but then I’m one of those old farts who did all of that.

Would I rather be doing what he is doing than my day job for my income? If I could live on it - hell yes!

• Like 3