Why become a member? ×

Barefaced ; does 1st generation have less transparent mids compared to 2nd or 3rd generation ? (excluding the 10's)

essexbasscat

As it says it the title really, I like the weight of barefaced cabs but find the mids of the later generation cabs too transparent for my tastes. Do the 1st generation cabs have less transparency in the mids ? 

I already have two 1x10's but would like some larger 8ohm cabs, so thinking around the earlier generations as a possibility ?

Thanks BC

52 minutes ago, essexbasscat said:

Or to put it another way, the difference between the retro range and the rest of the range 

The “Retro” range is the series with 10” drivers in…

If you have two One10s already I can’t see you being happier with earlier Gen cabs, at least not the ones with 12” drivers. They were very aggressive in the mids (in my experience) - the Gen 3 driver is a lot smoother to my ears.

You may like the Gen 1 / 2 Compact though, a single 15” driver in a box not far off the old Trace 1153 cab size. They were light, loud and nicely balanced to my ears.

Edited by Merton
  • Like 4

I understand what you mean about the mids... I always thought my barefaced big twin II and Tonehammer 500 was great until I tried a friends Aguilar DB112 set up (Tonehammer 500 and 2 x DB115).  I couldn't believe the mid response on his cabs, it was a lightbulb monent!  Still use my barefaced due to funding, but I'm less than stellar on it.  Doesn't answer your question, but for a vintage sound I'd be looking elsewhere.  What about the Aguilar SL range?

On 09/08/2022 at 17:44, essexbasscat said:

Thanks Merton, I'm looking for cabs with a vintage character, without the vintage weight. I'll keep an eye out for a gen 1 compact 15" 

do you ever get south of the river into Kent? swale area north kent. if you do ive got a compact you can have a listen to

On 10/08/2022 at 14:10, thisisswanbon said:

I understand what you mean about the mids... I always thought my barefaced big twin II and Tonehammer 500 was great until I tried a friends Aguilar DB112 set up (Tonehammer 500 and 2 x DB115).  I couldn't believe the mid response on his cabs, it was a lightbulb monent!  Still use my barefaced due to funding, but I'm less than stellar on it.  Doesn't answer your question, but for a vintage sound I'd be looking elsewhere.  What about the Aguilar SL range?

Sadly the Aguilar SL range does not provide the db sound. Whereas the db 112 has a more pronounced bump in the low mids, the SL112 has this bump more in the upper mids and do not have that "weight" (no pun intended).