Why become a member? ×

Dean EAB

Bleat

I was looking for a decent acoustic bass recently, and having a bit of a soft spot for Dean guitars and basses decided this would be a good purchase for the price. It's a real monster with an 18" wide body, but looks great. My Washburn electric looks a bit of a tiddler sat next to it!

With a bit of work i.e. nut and saddle filing, I have now got it playing exceptionally well with a great low action. The neck is a chunky P-bass style which I like. I added a strap button onto the neck as it only comes fitted with one. The machine heads are certainly functional but would possibly benefit from being fitted with better quality ones which I will do in due course. The basic tonality is on a par with most other acoustic basses, and is not particularly loud until you plug it in, again like most acoustics. The preamp is basic but decent enough with 3 band eq, tuner and phase button.. Overall I'm really pleased with the Dean EAB for the money, and now more importantly have a use for my Dean guitar strap.

20220807_094303.jpg

20220807_094556.jpg

20220807_094650.jpg

20220805_152319.jpg

20220805_152013.jpg

• Like 1

You are like me then... as soon as it comes out the box the faffing-about tools are out in force.

I'm not a fan of flat wounds unfortunately. Surprisingly I found there is very little to no raspy scratchy finger noise from the original bronze strings which are still fitted but then not the best quality. I'm just waiting for a new set of bronze strings to arrive, so will see if that changes things sound/scratch-wise. I did think about trying tape wounds but would be an expensive purchase for something that would end up being be no better than putting elastic bands round an empty shoe box and playing that instead.. If the new bronze ones are very scratchy I may just fit the same light gauge Rotosounds that I use on the electric. It's just a case of try it and see/ hear what happens at the moment.