Why become a member? ×

Getting practice right for the neighbours

Cat Burrito

Genuine question if any of you can help? I have a duo that I'm part of with an old school friend from 30yrs ago. We have two small practice combos and a drum machine stored in a small summerhouse which is about a 3 minute walk from his house and that backs onto open fields. He's a music teacher and I think we are both of a reasonable standard. Yesterday, we were rehearsing down in the summerhouse (as we do about every once every 3wks - a session usually lasts 3hrs, always sometime between 10am - 5pm) and received the following text;

"I hope you are enjoying the lovely weather as we are and having a good summer holiday.

A polite request,  do you think you can  please turn down the amplifiers on your practise sessions when your playing in the summer house, I'm not sure if you know but the sound travels up making it sound like Glastonbury in the garden from up here and we cant hear our own radio in the lounge when windows and doors are open.

In the winter months we don't even hear it however during the warmer months it does become a little over powering when doors and window are open, and we are in the garden more.

Many thanks, speak soon
Debbie & Steve x"

My question is this; if Glastonbury is £300 a ticket, does £180 sound reasonable to charge them?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

I have mixed feelings about this. If it's once every three weeks and it's a reasonable time of day, I think they're being a bit overly critical, especially if they say they can't hear it in winter... If it was more frequent, they'd have a point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

I have mixed feelings about this. If it's once every three weeks and it's a reasonable time of day, I think they're being a bit overly critical, especially if they say they can't hear it in winter... If it was more frequent, they'd have a point. 

For context our next get together is mid-September and it's two practice amps that are a three minute walk from the house. My 25w bass amp is set around 4. The amps are directed AWAY from the house. It's always weekend daytime. The last rehearsal was 16th July (yestersay's practice was 6th August). We've never rehearsed for more than a few short hours & that's with plenty of chat, as we are old mates.

1 minute ago, oldslapper said:

Do you let them know beforehand? 

Not personally but it's not my house. As per my previous comment, I would imagine we are all more annoying practicing in our own homes. This is a 3 minute walk from the main house. At my place, my practice amp backs on to to my neighbours kitchen & she asked me to turn up! My previous neighbour came around to say how much he enjoyed my acoustic jams. This isn't something that is done with a drummer or loud stack amps. I think that any typical person who could physically see what is going on would think they are being completely unreasonable. They know he's a music teacher and the walk from the house to the summerhouse is a fair one (down four flights of steps and over a bridge and then up some more steps). 

I’m not having a go 😂

These people may be incredibly unreasonable and exaggerating their experience, I don’t know. 

I can only say from my own experience with “noise” from a neighbour. For 7 years he has been “working” on his house. Over this time work can start without warning and stop at an undetermined time. It’s very annoying and inconsiderate. However, he has taken to messaging me beforehand to say when he is planning to do some work and for how long. 
It has made a huge difference to my own capacity to cope as I now have a choice to plan my day accordingly and my wife no longer has to prevent me from using his lump hammer on his skull.

From what you’re describing, the 2 “noise” experiences aren’t the same. I understand that.

However, it might make a difference to the complainant (no matter how unreasonable you believe them to be) if they were given notice. It lets them know that you recognises their perspective and gives them the choice to f00k off somewhere else for the period of the rehearsal if it’s that invasive to them, or sit and enjoy the wonderful music you’re producing instead of the Archers. 

• Like 3

Reminds me of the old saying, hope you don’t mind but we’re having a loud party at the weekend.

Which actually means we’re having a loud party at the weekend.

But it gives the illusion of manners which in a lot of cases satisfies people.

Set up the works. Full acoustic kit, amp stacks, PA, etc. 

Let rip at full gig volume and let them realise what it could be like if you weren't considerate to their needs. 

They'll be thankful the following month when you return to a pair of practice amps and a drum machine. 

Obviously I don't condone this kind of behaviour... but it would be fun. 😉👍

• Like 2

Rock n Roll!

Seriously though, I'd tell them its not unreasonable to hold a 3 hour rehearsal once every three weeks at low volume and a 3 minute walk away from the main house!

But as a courtesy we will inform you as and when that will be, so you can make suitable arrangements.

• Like 1

Must admit, I think I’d be looking around for somewhere else to rehearse where nobody was 

affected by it. Or even just try headphones in the summer months?

Less grief for all concerned.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 3